Consequences

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Re: Consequences

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Sex education is very crucial for growing kids. But because of religious or cultural beliefs, it's often relegated to the background.
The truth is, if they are not rightly taught by the authorities, they will be wrongly taught by peers.
So, the question is, what should and what should not be taught.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

Ms Chet wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 03:05 Sex education is very crucial for growing kids. But because of religious or cultural beliefs, it's often relegated to the background.
The truth is, if they are not rightly taught by the authorities, they will be wrongly taught by peers.
So, the question is, what should and what should not be taught.
This is such a true statement. Sexual health needs to be taught correctly and at a young age. Kids fill in the blanks in absence of information and can put themselves at risk for health complications. It needs to be discussed in elementary school too. We started in 6th grade or about 12 years old. Accurate terms for body parts and what happens during the start of puberty. Many homes and religions won't discuss this, it is in the interest of public health to teach it in school.
Mary Bircher
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:19 I don't believe elementary schools should ever teach about sex in the classroom.
Fortunately, they don't. I agree with that, but I think they should definitely know about their own bodies. Even toddlers should be taught the proper words
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

As much as it is important to provide age appropriate sexual education, it is also important to respect if someone wants to talk about it privately. These are indeed sensitive topics and in a classroom atmosphere, students may or may not take this education seriously, or parts of it. Rather in small groups, and essentially individual talks should also be encouraged through counsellors, parents and teachers. This helps young people in opening up with their curiosities.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 21:32
MichelleYong wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 01:12 Where I am at, topics about sex is generally avoided because it is deemed as "inappropriate", whether or not there is religious influence. The consequences of it is very much like what is described in the book. There is no way to have a proper discussion about sex, even in classrooms. Almost everyone is reluctant to open up. Most girls shy away from the topic and boys usually just make fun of it.
That's a cultural issue, and it's hugely influenced by religion. In my school, they divided boys from girls for sex-ed, which kind of minimized the shyness and the jokes. But... I don't think that's doable anymore (I'm way over 30). I also think that though some people might not open up, they are still listening. At least most of them. So the information's there. There's also the option to provide additional resources for those who want to learn more. Of course, kids have the internet, but it's not all reliable. We should provide them with reliable websites and personal counseling when needed. It might be easier to open in a one-to-one environment.
We would need a total cultural shift. That shyness and those jokes come from kids who grew up in families or environments that don't know how to talk in an open way about sex.
I agree this is a cultural issue. They are still dividing girls and boys up in the classroom (4th grade, who are about 10). The kids even kick the teachers out of the room so they can ask "real" questions to the nurse or whoever comes to talk to them. But as you say, the resources are there, but outside of this elementary school activity, people are still very shy about sexuality. Some high school seniors take a development class and it's amazing what they do not know.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

I feel like the reason why so many people shy away from such topics is because it's addressed as a crime. This highly makes it uncomfortable for those who have already practiced it, especially teenagers. The society should find new approaches to such topics because not talking about it at all is the reason why we have so many cases of unwanted pregnancies and abortion cases.
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Diamond Harrell »

I experienced this a lot growing up. Even before I was sexually active I liked to talk about sex. Not in a "i'm going to have sex" way, but "i want to learn and be educated about it". Adults hated that. They would tell me all the time not to talk about it, that it's private, that I shouldn't think about it at all. Once I got to high school I started to educate myself and then I would talk about what I learned with my peers. People thought I was CRAZY because I was a virgin talking about sex. What I found was, people then became really comfortable asking me for advice and asking me for resources concerning sex. Now they had a safe space. Little by little my graduating class opened up more with the conversation and it allowed for a lot of healthy dialogue.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

I think they are levels to sexual conversation with kids or young children. I think when exposing this Children to the truth, it should be in a gradual process and with the very light topics. Bombarding them with those heavy concept could affect them psychologically.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

MichelleYong wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 01:12 Where I am at, topics about sex is generally avoided because it is deemed as "inappropriate", whether or not there is religious influence. The consequences of it is very much like what is described in the book. There is no way to have a proper discussion about sex, even in classrooms. Almost everyone is reluctant to open up. Most girls shy away from the topic and boys usually just make fun of it.
You are very right. Even I also shy away from these type of conversation. But because I know how important it is, sometimes, I attend meetings of people that don't shy away from these subject. It helps.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Moonlight + wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 08:30 I feel like the reason why so many people shy away from such topics is because it's addressed as a crime. This highly makes it uncomfortable for those who have already practiced it, especially teenagers. The society should find new approaches to such topics because not talking about it at all is the reason why we have so many cases of unwanted pregnancies and abortion cases.
I completely agree with you. We, as a society, need to approach such topics openly. It's only when you do that, does the stigma around it fade. It opens up a conversation of mature understanding with young adults.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

My parents haven't spoken to me about sex or anything relating to that. The only thing my mother told me when I was about to go to college was that I should stay away from the opposite sex. I think this issue stems from tradition and culture because some of my friends who have a different culture from me told me that they talk to their mothers about anything, including sex.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I never learned about any of this from my parents. They would have answered any questions that I had, but they would have been very uncomfortable. Asking was not encouraged, by anyone
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

I believe that discussions about sex should be considered based on the age and maturity of children.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Sex is a natural and important part of human life, and it is essential that children receive appropriate education on the topic. However, the way this topic is discussed should be age-appropriate and done in a way that respects cultural and religious beliefs. It is also important to ensure that children understand the importance of consent, respect, and safety when it comes to sexual activity. Encouraging open communication and fostering a supportive and non-judgmental environment can help children feel comfortable asking questions and seeking guidance. Ultimately, providing education on sex can help children make informed decisions and lead healthy, fulfilling lives.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I grew up in a family where sex discussion is rare. My Mama just reminds us of the consequences and never dives deeper into how safe sex could be. And our school never deep down teaches about sex education. I believe it is because of our cultures and tradition, and partly of religion.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”