Consequences

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Consequences

Post by Annas Felix »

The reason most of us made very bad sexual decisions was because we were made to believe that talking about sex was evil. If we knew better, we would have done better.
Austin McMichael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-mcmichael.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Austin McMichael »

MichelleYong wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 01:12 Where I am at, topics about sex is generally avoided because it is deemed as "inappropriate", whether or not there is religious influence. The consequences of it is very much like what is described in the book. There is no way to have a proper discussion about sex, even in classrooms. Almost everyone is reluctant to open up. Most girls shy away from the topic and boys usually just make fun of it.
Thanks for your perspective! It sounds like where you're at, sex and sexual hygiene isn't really talked about openly. That's a bummer because it's important for everyone to have the right information to make good choices about their health. Hopefully, with more resources like the book we're talking about here, people will start to feel more comfortable talking about it and everyone can learn more.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

School really don't teach sex education in a way that is helpful for people. They usually start too late, like high school, and by then many students are already dealing with the consequences of sex so it should be on the parents to teach these concepts.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

Similarly, where I come from there is no sex education given. My mom would only tell me to avoid girls. At school, just a handful of the teachers talked of sex as a way of creating jokes. We laughed at it and further guidance was provided. I think it's right for sex education to be given to avoid the urge of sex as one grows up.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think books like these are important for opening a dialogue with children who have questions. It raises topics that lead to helpful discussions on subjects that parents may have difficulty raising on their own. It provides information that would be helpful to some readers.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

The majority of the time, the subject of sex and all related questions can transform into a double-edged sword, depending on where, when, and with whom the topic is open. What I want to say is that consequences can arise whether or not the topic is brought up. Therefore, we need to be able to weigh the pros and cons every time these topics are brought up and realize the possible consequences of having or not having these discussions with the children.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Annas Felix wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 04:19 The reason most of us made very bad sexual decisions was because we were made to believe that talking about sex was evil. If we knew better, we would have done better.
I agree. Maybe not necessarily “evil” but more taboo. People are uncomfortable talking about it in school or at home. So the conversations are avoided or uncomfortable for everyone. If there were a healthier approach to the subject and people were more open to discussing the topic there would be less bad or uneducated decisions made at a young age.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I believe it is the parents responsibility to teach their children about sex and not leave it up to the school to do it for them. Although most parents shy away from the topic and feel uncomfortable talking about it, it is necessary.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I don't believe there is no way to have a proper conversation about sex. If there is a certain level of respect and trust with the people having the conversation, it can be very productive.

I think children are taught too late about sex and safety. We only started learning about it in high school and I believe children who don't have parents that are willing to have that discussion with them are at a disadvantage, as they don't understand, or aren't aware, of the consequences that can come from unsafe sex.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Yesss. A comment said that boys and girls were divided in her school. That was the same for me. I'm unsure if the conversation would have been any different if sex had been an open discussion. Eventually, it would be up to individual experience. Today in med school, we are taught openly, and due to the nature of our course, it's nothing at all.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

While there are definitely benefits to teaching sex-ed earlier in school, there are also many reasons why introducing sex-ed too early can be harmful. It’s a tough situation to try and please everyone.
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Yes most cultures shy away from talking about sex with their younger audience. However some countries need to make it a priority to explain the nature of the act. The reason for the act. And the results if the act. Because it is easily accessible for them than other countries. For example a Muslim country doesn't need to worry about that because its one of greatest sins you can make outside of marriage. However countries like america and Australia need to do something about it otherwise a lot of damage can be done especially to women and younger children.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I personally hate the stigma around sex. There’s a certain age where it should be the furthest thing from your mind, but as you get older it should be a natural topic of discussion. Painting it as ‘evil’ is why people may be so reluctant to open up.
it is what it is ....
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:19 I don't believe elementary schools should ever teach about sex in the classroom. But middle school and high school-aged children need to learn about their bodies and what can happen to them, especially because so many parents are scared to. Many churches have classes to teach middle school children about sexuality and morality. I believe that parents have an obligation to teach their children even if they are uncomfortable with it. So many young pregnancies happen due to ignorance. Just make sure that you are using an appropriate level of discussion depending on the age of the child.
I think the most important thing here is the "appropriate level of discussion". I entirely disagree that elementary schools should not teach sex to their students. It is important that we (as parents, educators, or even family) teach our children about sex and their bodies even from a young age. My main reason is abuse. If we do not teach them that it is not appropriate for someone to touch them even if they say it is, what will happen? It is not only about pregnancies, is about many more things. Parents are the primary educators but, unfortunately (at least where I grew up) they are often too uncomfortable to do it.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Sex education is very crucial for growing kids. But because of religious or cultural beliefs, it's often relegated to the background.
The truth is, if they are not rightly taught by the authorities, they will be wrongly taught by peers.
So, the question is, what should and what should not be taught.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”