Biography/Memoir Book Discussion (Jan '23)

For January 2023, we will be reading biographies and/or memoirs.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Biography/Memoir Book Discussion (Jan '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We will be starting the New Year with reading and discussing books that fall into the biography and memoir genres. :techie-studyingbrown:

Here are some guiding questions to generate discussion:
  • Share the title and author of the book you read (or are reading) for this month.
  • Was it a biography or a memoir?
  • Were there other genres woven into the text? If so, which one(s)?
  • Why did you chose this specific book to read?
  • Share your overall impressions and rating of the book you read.
:bookclub:

As always, let's have fun and enjoy a month fun and books!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Last July, I read the book Slippery Road by L.M. Bollers. It was an inspiring memoir. Bollers have a tough childhood where he enter into many jobs at a young age to support his mother. He has 9 siblings. By adulthood, he migrated to America and live his dream life. I related so much to his memoir since I have a big family too (7 sisters). And I have dream to travel outside of my country. The book's theme lies in family love, brutality, racism, to name a few. The book taught how determination and perseverance are so important to succeed. Since the book moved me deeper, it deserved 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to anyone who have big dreams in life since this book portray it.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 01 Jan 2023, 21:17 Last July, I read the book Slippery Road by L.M. Bollers. It was an inspiring memoir. Bollers have a tough childhood where he enter into many jobs at a young age to support his mother. He has 9 siblings. By adulthood, he migrated to America and live his dream life. I related so much to his memoir since I have a big family too (7 sisters). And I have dream to travel outside of my country. The book's theme lies in family love, brutality, racism, to name a few. The book taught how determination and perseverance are so important to succeed. Since the book moved me deeper, it deserved 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to anyone who have big dreams in life since this book portray it.
That does sound pretty inspiring and unique. I love that you were able to relate to the author in some ways. I truly believe that we are more apt to enjoy a book if we can relate to the either the person the book's about or a character (if it's fictional). It's wonderful that this book moved you. That doesn't happen all the time, so I'm happy that you were able to have this experience with this book.

Thank you for sharing! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm planning to read Educated by Tara Westover. It's one that I've been wanting to read for quite some time now.

Has anyone read this one?
Heidi

Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 21:57 I'm planning to read Educated by Tara Westover. It's one that I've been wanting to read for quite some time now.
This is at the top of my list, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I would love to hear from someone who has read it!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jenna Floyd wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 12:19
Heidi M Simone wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 21:57 I'm planning to read Educated by Tara Westover. It's one that I've been wanting to read for quite some time now.
This is at the top of my list, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I would love to hear from someone who has read it!
I started it and am really liking it so far! I'll keep you posted as I continue reading it. :)
Heidi

Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I've read It's me Anna, by Elbie Lotter aka Anchien Troskie as well as the sequel The State vs Anna Bruwer this month. It based on a true story, which I guess you can say is a memoir with some fiction. Hopefully the right book for this genre for this month.

I've read the first book years ago when it was just published. Years later the second book was published and although I received it as a gift, I never got around reading it. After a conversation with one of my acquaintances and her take on the book, I decided to read it again just to be able to read the second book as well. I read both books in a weeks time, it's that engaging!

It is an extremely gripping book and definitely not for the faint-heart. It's the authors recollection of growing up being molested and raped by her stepfather from the age of 8 until the age of 16. How she was forced into silence and the implications it had on her life. This was and extremely emotional read that takes you into the raw reality of what horrors happens behind some closed doors. The family you might see as such a happy and well functional one might just be the one that has the most horrid skeletons hiding in the closets. One of the things that I like about the book is that the author writes with honesty and in such away that you can't put the book down until the last page. In no instance you get the feeling that the author pities herself. Another thing that I appreciated about the book was that she added a piece on child abuse at the end. A full description of things/behaviors to look out for that will give you and indication whether a child is being abused. This to me might just help to save other children who's going through the same thing. My rating for this book is a definite 5 out of 5 stars.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Leonie Vermaak wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 05:40 I've read It's me Anna, by Elbie Lotter aka Anchien Troskie as well as the sequel The State vs Anna Bruwer this month. It based on a true story, which I guess you can say is a memoir with some fiction. Hopefully the right book for this genre for this month.

I've read the first book years ago when it was just published. Years later the second book was published and although I received it as a gift, I never got around reading it. After a conversation with one of my acquaintances and her take on the book, I decided to read it again just to be able to read the second book as well. I read both books in a weeks time, it's that engaging!

It is an extremely gripping book and definitely not for the faint-heart. It's the authors recollection of growing up being molested and raped by her stepfather from the age of 8 until the age of 16. How she was forced into silence and the implications it had on her life. This was and extremely emotional read that takes you into the raw reality of what horrors happens behind some closed doors. The family you might see as such a happy and well functional one might just be the one that has the most horrid skeletons hiding in the closets. One of the things that I like about the book is that the author writes with honesty and in such away that you can't put the book down until the last page. In no instance you get the feeling that the author pities herself. Another thing that I appreciated about the book was that she added a piece on child abuse at the end. A full description of things/behaviors to look out for that will give you and indication whether a child is being abused. This to me might just help to save other children who's going through the same thing. My rating for this book is a definite 5 out of 5 stars.
I think I'm going to love reading this book! :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
Leonie Vermaak
Currently Reading:

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 23:27
Leonie Vermaak wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 05:40 I've read It's me Anna, by Elbie Lotter aka Anchien Troskie as well as the sequel The State vs Anna Bruwer this month. It based on a true story, which I guess you can say is a memoir with some fiction. Hopefully the right book for this genre for this month.

I think I'm going to love reading this book! :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
You definitely will but prepare yourself for some tears and anger along the way😉
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Leonie Vermaak wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 22:07

It is an extremely gripping book and definitely not for the faint-heart. It's the authors recollection of growing up being molested and raped by her stepfather from the age of 8 until the age of 16. How she was forced into silence and the implications it had on her life. This was and extremely emotional read that takes you into the raw reality of what horrors happens behind some closed doors. The family you might see as such a happy and well functional one might just be the one that has the most horrid skeletons hiding in the closets. One of the things that I like about the book is that the author writes with honesty and in such away that you can't put the book down until the last page. In no instance you get the feeling that the author pities herself. Another thing that I appreciated about the book was that she added a piece on child abuse at the end. A full description of things/behaviors to look out for that will give you and indication whether a child is being abused. This to me might just help to save other children who are going through the same thing. My rating for this book is a definite 5 out of 5 stars.
You definitely will but prepare yourself for some tears and anger along the way😉
Oh, it seems like I need a roll of tissue for it. I'm easily touched by this kind of book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Leonie Vermaak
Currently Reading:

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 22:30

Oh, it seems like I need a roll of tissue for it. I'm easily touched by this kind of book.
Lol definitely. Even me. Memiors are my most favorite although it's sad to read what people went through, it's such a motivation in many many ways.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Leonie Vermaak wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 23:13
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 22:30

Lol definitely. Even me. Memoirs are my favorite although it's sad to read what people went through, it's such a motivation in many many ways.
Yes, I agree 💯%! The pure and authentic motivation you get!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “January 2023 Genre Discussion”