Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

If persevering to the extreme (that is if there is anything like that) will help me achieve my goals and objectives, then I wouldn't mind doing that. The only thing I would be wary of is persevering in the wrong direction. Or better still, using the wrong approach and attitude to persevere. It would lead to sheer waste of time and resources.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Preservance works in a long run too, it actually depends on why we are preserving. If it is for a course that's worth it, then we should preserve for the reward would certainly be great.
Thera reads
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Thera reads »

I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's okay to give up when things get too tough. It is not a sign of being weak but the smart choice sometimes.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

For me, this is where faith plays a huge role. If you have an insurmountable amount of passion and love for the project, perseverance is vital. This lesson reflected well with Mark and Jack striving to publish Chicken Soup for the Soul.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Thera reads wrote: 18 May 2023, 04:58 I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's okay to give up when things get too tough. It is not a sign of being weak but the smart choice sometimes.
For me, it's ok to give-up if you gain a passion for a new project. It's important to have a project to fulfill a purpose.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I've always been one to give up easily. After reading this book and learning about how much resilience can help one achieve, I no longer believe there's an extreme to resilience. I'll persevere till the very end.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Perseverance is a good thing if what you are after is truly rewarding. For Mark and his friend, the book meant a lot of effort. They also thought it could help a lot of people. So, in the end, their perseverance and determination brought them unanticipated success and fame.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

I suppose it varies. Mark happens to be among the few fortunate and privileged youngsters to attain triumph following such a nurturing. However, I'd argue that his paternal figure, Paul Hansen, is the individual who guided him to arrive at the correct choice. Through imparting the notion that "Satisfaction in possessing comes after satisfaction in acquiring," Paul enabled Mark to cultivate a captivating mindset that would drive him towards the route of accomplishment.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

It is always better to look after yourself before you push yourself. While I understand that we sometines don't realize how much more we're capable of, however overpushing may lead to burnout and complete u productivity
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Life is too short but it will never be too late to keep on trying. As we keep on trying every day, our journey to achieve that goal our eyes are locked on will be shortened. Every step we take, despite how small it is, must be counted and contributed to achieving our dreams. Today might not be our day, but there is still tomorrow. And if we ever don't wake up tomorrow, at least we tried today.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Maybe if theybjad made changes and got accepted by publishers they wouldn't have made enough sales like they did when they persevered. It isn't easy though but it's a win for them that it ended well.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”