Overall rating and opinion of Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Bef Ozo »

This book deserves a full rating. There are many things to learn from it. I love how the author created a comfortable atmosphere for the readers and carried them along with his style of writing.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

To achieve greatness, one must not relent or deter. Success is filled with ups and downs but only the determined, consistent, and resilient would make it to the finish line. The non-fiction genre was incorporated into it. The writing style of the writer was simple. Non-fiction readers will love it. I didn't dislike anything in this boom.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

At first I was drawn to this book by its amazing cover. However, the content seemed more than I would like to expect. I'm working on myself and I have realized the need for patience, determination and resilience to make it as a successful person.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I think this book is exceptional for start-up entrepreneurs and authors who wish to take their ideas further by embarking on achievable goals. The book educates a lot about what it takes to become successful in something you’re passionate about. Despite the obstacles, Mark indeed proved that it all can be achievable.

As much as I like the content that this book shares about growth and success, I have to be honest. The ideas seem too vague. The storyline is built based on achieving successful outcomes, but it has no grounded motive. Perseverance alone isn’t enough to describe the kind of experience one has to go through in becoming successful.

The writing style is unique and profound. I like how the author reflects on deep subjects of Mark’s relationships, marriage life as well as failures. This book is a non-fiction novel driven by the personal encounters of a successful author and entrepreneur.

The cover and the title of this book are superb. No doubt about it. The fact that they decided to use the author’s image instead of Mark himself creates an exceptional appeal to the reader. However, I have to admit. At first, it was a bit confusing thinking that the cover image was Mark himself! Especially when you consider the fact that the book is titled under his name. Nevertheless, I like the way the whole concept was utilized.

The greatest lesson I learned from this book was the notion behind success. Success is often encountered in a series of failures. I do believe that it is through these failures that we can navigate our best selves.

I’d recommend this book to readers who are enthusiastic about their goals in life. After going through 144 rejections for their book Chicken Soup for the Soul, Mark and Jack still were determined enough that that would be their greatest accomplishment. Of course, as we later found out, it was!
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Abdul-Malik Hassan wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 09:30 I think this book is exceptional for start-up entrepreneurs and authors who wish to take their ideas further by embarking on achievable goals. The book educates a lot about what it takes to become successful in something you’re passionate about. Despite the obstacles, Mark indeed proved that it all can be achievable.

As much as I like the content that this book shares about growth and success, I have to be honest. The ideas seem too vague. The storyline is built based on achieving successful outcomes, but it has no grounded motive. Perseverance alone isn’t enough to describe the kind of experience one has to go through in becoming successful.

The writing style is unique and profound. I like how the author reflects on deep subjects of Mark’s relationships, marriage life as well as failures. This book is a non-fiction novel driven by the personal encounters of a successful author and entrepreneur.

The cover and the title of this book are superb. No doubt about it. The fact that they decided to use the author’s image instead of Mark himself creates an exceptional appeal to the reader. However, I have to admit. At first, it was a bit confusing thinking that the cover image was Mark himself! Especially when you consider the fact that the book is titled under his name. Nevertheless, I like the way the whole concept was utilized.

The greatest lesson I learned from this book was the notion behind success. Success is often encountered in a series of failures. I do believe that it is through these failures that we can navigate our best selves.

I’d recommend this book to readers who are enthusiastic about their goals in life. After going through 144 rejections for their book Chicken Soup for the Soul, Mark and Jack still were determined enough that that would be their greatest accomplishment. Of course, as we later found out, it was!
I'm quoting myself because I made a mistake with the comments I mentioned about the cover and title of the book in the 4th paragraph. Instead, it should read like this:
"The cover and the title of this book are superb. No doubt about it. The fact that they decided to use Mark’s photo as the cover image creates an exceptional appeal to the reader. I have to admit, I like the way the whole concept was utilized."
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

I've just read this book on kindle, and I can't say how much I loved it. The writing is really inspirational. However, I feel the cover could have been better. It's a 4 out of 5 for me.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

I found this book to be inspiring and useful, whether through the author's business practices or the efficacy of his advice. But I'm taking a star off because this book is overly self-promotional and lacks depth. In my opinion, it gets a 4 out of 5 stars.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I have grown up reading Chicken Soup for the Soul and being touched by the various true stories. Mark Victor’s life is inspiring and an example of perseverance, resilience, hard work, positive energy, selflessness and dedication. I feel that Mark’s parents had a profound role in shaping his personality. From an early age, they taught him to earn and work hard for each penny which inculcated many positive skills in Mark and his brothers. There are a lot of things one can learn from his accomplishments and setbacks.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Overall, I thought Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless was fantastic, 5 out of 5 stars! I can definitely see myself rereading certain chapters when I need a reminder to keep going, especially since it's such an easy read.

Now that I've finished the book, I find the title very fitting not only to the various subjects covered about trying to live life properly, but also to Mark himself. I feel like he is the embodiment of 'relentless'. He probably acknowledges that 80% of his ideas are preposterous, but he is brave enough to ask the real question, ‘how close can we bring the preposterous to reality?’ Because that is how we get the next breakthrough for humanity and ourselves. We have to think of the impossible to keep moving forward.

My biggest takeaway is happiness and contentment with how I have chosen to live. Some people may say ‘no,’ others may say ‘you shouldn't’ or ‘it won't work,’ but if you believe in yourself and are willing to take action, do it. Mark reminds us that the societal norm is wrong; we weren’t meant to all be the same. We must all develop our skills, help each other, and stand out from the crowd to find our successes. Don't let anyone stop you.

I have and will continue to highly recommend this book to anyone looking for inspiration and motivation to pursue their dreams.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

First major notable aspect to this book is the inspirational side to it. Self help book lovers and fans of motivational books like myself are the best to be recommended for it. The author discussed some key factors to success in the book. I would agree with the reviewer on the final rating.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Picture perfect. I enjoyed reading this book and grasping the story within. Sharing one's life could be difficult but worth it when you can impact into another person's life. I learned various virtues such as perseverance and patience.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

PinkRose572 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 17:33 As regards my opinion of it, I think Perdue did an amazing job by writing about this exceptional figure, Mark Victor Hansen. This helps people to know about the policies, belief system, and the like, that Mark initiated and pursued to achieve fame to his name. Based on this, I rate it five out of five stars.
I also believe Perdue did an amazing job with this book. I was very skeptical at first, thinking it won't be as good since it isn't authored by Mark himself but a couple of pages in, I realized her broad approach.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Just finished reading the book and I am thoroughly impressed by Mark. His life proves that if you fall ten times, you must get up 11 times. It was a raw account of his failures and successes and I enjoyed reading it. My overall rating is 5 stars. The book is not without flaws but the lessons are superior.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

I have liked this biography, the way it is written is a real page-turner. The great thing is that I did not know anything about Mark Victor Hansen, so for me his life, no matter how famous he has been, it was a complete discovery. Now I have homework as I have to read some of his Chicken soup for the soul.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Olivia Bird Whitworth
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-bird-whitworth.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Olivia Bird Whitworth »

I gave Mark Victor Hansen: Relentless 5 out of 5 stars, though I debated giving the book 4 out of 5 stars because I felt like the stories jumped around really quickly. This style made it hard to get into the book and just keep reading, but it also made the book easier to pick up for just a few minutes and grab some inspiration from. Also, some of the recommendations given to "Be like Mark" felt a little irrelevant or hard to implement.

What I liked most about the book is that Mitzi had so much confidence that if we just applied some of these concepts, they would make a difference. It was really encouraging to be led to try new things over and over again.

The biggest thing I took away from this biography was that it matters who you listen to, so you should fill your free time with books and podcasts and talks by people who will lead you to do great things. I thought reading Mitzi Perdue's book was a great start to that for me.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”