Overall rating and opinion of Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Brian Ruguru »

There was a part where Mark Hansen found spirituality in India. I think, given my religious background, that was the only segment I could not relate with. Even with that said, it was not dislike, only that I could not relate with the experience.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Oddly, my greatest lesson was the book's title: RELENTLESS. Mark was persistent, despite life throwing dirt at him. There were definitive ups and downs, and his strong will to not let challenges and failures bring him down was inspiring! We have a publication about hope and keeping the fire burning!
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

It's a perfect book that deserves a perfect rating. If I were to write a review of it, I'd give it five out of fives stars.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

Actually, I'm not a huge lover of motivational books, but I appreciated the fact that the proceeds from this one would benefit a worthy cause. That made me feel obligated to read the book more thoroughly.
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

I’m still trying to decide how I feel about it. Mark is clearly a fascinating and good-natured person. I have a lot of respect for him and what he’s accomplished. That said, I don’t feel like the book dug into the pitfalls as honestly and deeply as I expected. There were also times where I felt like the tone of the book was that Mark just persevered and became insanely successful, but he also had a hefty dose of luck. I liked the book and I like the author’s conversational tone, but I feel like some things were glossed over or otherwise left unsaid.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Relentless is a superb book with encouraging stories to motivate the reader. Mark Victor Hansen's life is one of true perseverance, as despite the many setbacks he never gave up. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

This was a very well-done book. I absolutely loved the quotes sprinkled throughout the novel, as well as the "Learn from Mark" section. It was very inspirational and the stories told about Mark's upbringing up to when he published his book was both inspirational and hilarious. I laughed a lot while reading and I did a lot of self-reflection as well. This book is truly one to remember.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

What I enjoyed most was the process of creating the Chicken Soup success. I liked the struggles and multiple attempts to make it happen, and I wish we could have learned more about the processes involved. I suspect there was much more to it than the book offered.

What I disliked was the constant intrusion of the author into the story. When I read a biography, I want to learn about the person being discussed, not the author. Too often, Mark's story turned into Mitzi's, and I felt it did a disservice to Mr. Hansen. I also thought that this book needed to be edited as it is filled with errors, mostly in punctuation.

I enjoyed it, but I believe it could have been much better.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

NicRoy wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 11:06 Oddly, my greatest lesson was the book's title: RELENTLESS. Mark was persistent, despite life throwing dirt at him. There were definitive ups and downs, and his strong will to not let challenges and failures bring him down was inspiring! We have a publication about hope and keeping the fire burning!
I think often at times particularly in sport relentless can be over used and people labelled it too easily. However that should not take away from how important a characteristic it is.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I always like motivational guides because I draw inspiration from them. This book is one of such books. More so, I enjoyed reading about Mark Victor Hansen and his fame. Totally this is an enjoyable read and I would recommend to readers anytime.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

This book is a very inspiring nonfiction book. It is one I would recommend to everyone because having the energy and ability to proceed in life is amazing. I would give it a perfect rating. I liked how the author was able to grab my attention and how the book contained ideas that we can use in our lives.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I literally just put the book down and I had to come here and join the conversation. This was incredibly inspiring. When you're working towards your dream and pushing for something, you often get lost in the process. This book was a wake up call, a sort of jolt to the system. Everything from the writing style to the anecdotes was fantastic. Great read.
it is what it is ....
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Hansen, just like the title of the book suggests, is a relentless man, even in the face of troubles. I was really encouraged and charged to always go forward and do whatever I've set out to accomplish. This to me, is enough reason to give the book 5 stars. That's not to include the engaging writing and other good aspects I found in it. It's sad, however, I didn't get to review the book, but that's what I'd rate it if I were to review it.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

It's a self help book and what I like the most about it is that it advocated a concept I believe so much in; persistence or relentlessness, which you choose, towards the actualisation of one's goals.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

I consider the book to fall generally in the nonfiction category. I can also say it's a self-help book. What I love most about it is that Mark's life was a big inspiration to me. I love his resilience, and I intend to apply that in every sector of my life going forward.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”