Relentless

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Relentless

Post by Meghan Sica »

The author created this very personal biography of Mark Victor Hansen's intense focus on personal improvement and achievement. Travel with Mark on his journey through this story which gives great insight to his inner workings and personal drive. A must read for anyone looking for books on self-development!
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I love this book. It seems to say, "you can do it if you believe in yourself". I would love for other people to read this book. So inspirational.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

I'm not very clear with the "chicken for the soul" expression, and I hope someone can enlighten me on this. Anyone?
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I think the title of this book, Relentless, is perfect. There are so many negative influences in our lives that insist we are probably not going to succeed. On top of that, we suffer self-doubt and lack of persistence. This book shows a great example of someone who was his own best friend, coach, and cheerleader and how he did it.
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

I love the title, and I believe it suits Mark Victor Hansen perfectly. His life was comfortable, I will not deny it, but he had to work hard every day to get to where he currently is.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

Alex Reeves wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:29 I'm not very clear with the "chicken for the soul" expression, and I hope someone can enlighten me on this. Anyone?
I am also curious about this! Does it have something to do with the idea that chicken soup is good for you? So maybe the book is good for you as well?
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

Joanna Olson wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 17:05
Alex Reeves wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:29 I'm not very clear with the "chicken for the soul" expression, and I hope someone can enlighten me on this. Anyone?
I am also curious about this! Does it have something to do with the idea that chicken soup is good for you? So maybe the book is good for you as well?
This was always my understanding. Chicken soup is (culturally) a soothing thing that brings comfort. Similarly, the stories in the books are supposed to elicit those warm fuzzy feelings and comfort. So, in effect, the books are bringing comfort to your soul; a metaphorical chicken soup.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's a book series that Mark Victor Hansen co-wrote. The books are meant to be motivating and inspiring. I haven't looked through one in a long time, but I believe there are true inspirational short stories within each book. There are many published, and I think they are still being published.

Yes, I believe since chicken soup is comforting, then the stories within these books are also comforting.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I thought this was intriguing. I never would have sought this book out in the library, so I'm glad it's the book of the month. I walked away respecting Mark more at the beginning of his life, but feeling like he became a bit entitled at the end. The more success he received, the more entitled he became. That's just my take.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Meghan Sica wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 14:00 The author created this very personal biography of Mark Victor Hansen's intense focus on personal improvement and achievement. Travel with Mark on his journey through this story which gives great insight to his inner workings and personal drive. A must read for anyone looking for books on self-development!
It's a must-read. It also teaches that we can always find motivation from others. Nobody was self-made. The most emotional part for me was Mr. Hansen's crash. He was watching situations get worse but couldn't do much. It was like being handicapped. How he turned it around was indeed very powerful.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

"Chicken Soup for the Soul" is the title of a book by Mark Victor Hansen. The book contains stories that provide accumulated knowledge on love, parenting, teaching, death, overcoming challenges, and the best human values we all possess, such as compassion, grace, forgiveness, generosity, and faith. Its a great book to read.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Patty Allread wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:34 I think the title of this book, Relentless, is perfect. There are so many negative influences in our lives that insist we are probably not going to succeed. On top of that, we suffer self-doubt and lack of persistence. This book shows a great example of someone who was his own best friend, coach, and cheerleader and how he did it.
I agree with this 100%. In a world where depression is rising, and mental health safety is threatened, we need to teach the art of being relentless.
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

AllTooWell wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 15:47 I love the title, and I believe it suits Mark Victor Hansen perfectly. His life was comfortable, I will not deny it, but he had to work hard every day to get to where he currently is.
Lol,

I disagree with this. Based on this book, I think his life wasn't so comfortable. He struggled a lot before getting on the top of the radar.
Tracee Ellis Ross
Owuamanam Eberechukwu

Check my earlier response. However, let me also drop it here.

"Chicken Soup for the Soul" is the title of a book by Mark Victor Hansen. The book contains stories that provide accumulated knowledge on love, parenting, teaching, death, overcoming challenges, and the best human values we all possess, such as compassion, grace, forgiveness, generosity, and faith. It is a great book to read."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I like that the author effectively highlighted the key takeaways and lessons that readers could learn from Mark Victor Hansen's experiences at the end of each chapter. This provided a focused perspective for the reader.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”