Question over a long-standing marriage

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Re: Question over a long-standing marriage

Post by Bertha Jackson »

With six years between Mark's marriages, I think it would have occurred if there was any chance of reconciliation. I do not feel like Mark should have to justify his decision in this book. It is a private matter between him and Patty. Like the accountant, people always have an opinion.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I don't think so. There is a reason why the first marriage did not work out, and we as readers don't know everything behind their decision. As adults, we should come to terms with the idea that some people are just not meant for us. Also, I have never been married, but as a daughter, I would prefer to see my parents happy with other people instead of unhappy together.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Ms. Perdue didn't provide enough information for me, as a reader, to form an opinion of Mark's first marriage. Mention was made of money and ego issues, but nothing in-depth. Indeed, there was contention in the relationship, as evidenced in Mark's post-marital relationship with his ex-wife and children. As a divorced man after 35 years of marriage, I have regrets that my relationship didn't go all the way to its logical conclusion. However, with what happened in my personal situation, the pitfalls along the way that led to the divorce became our logical conclusion. One cannot blame either myself or my ex exclusively for what happened, and I suspect that the same holds for Mark and Patty. As my mother often said, "It's six of one and half a dozen of another." I would have liked to have had more information about the marriage because it would have provided more insight into Mark, his drive, and his accomplishments. Perhaps someday we will know more.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 16:00 With six years between Mark's marriages, I think it would have occurred if there was any chance of reconciliation. I do not feel like Mark should have to justify his decision in this book. It is a private matter between him and Patty. Like the accountant, people always have an opinion.
I agree with your comment. However, his marriage and the bankruptcy incidents were the only failures he had in his life. With the bankruptcy incident well explained, as the reader of his memoir, I felt Mark had an obligation to comment, however small, about his failed marriage. As it is and considering he's a public figure, I find it self-serving that he chose what to reveal in his life and what not to.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

marta baglioni wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 13:55 I don't think so. There is a reason why the first marriage did not work out, and we as readers don't know everything behind their decision. As adults, we should come to terms with the idea that some people are just not meant for us. Also, I have never been married, but as a daughter, I would prefer to see my parents happy with other people instead of unhappy together.
I agree with your comment. Since he's now a public figure, I hope it is something he can talk about one day.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Mstrtim wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 14:47 Ms. Perdue didn't provide enough information for me, as a reader, to form an opinion of Mark's first marriage. Mention was made of money and ego issues, but nothing in-depth. Indeed, there was contention in the relationship, as evidenced in Mark's post-marital relationship with his ex-wife and children. As a divorced man after 35 years of marriage, I have regrets that my relationship didn't go all the way to its logical conclusion. However, with what happened in my personal situation, the pitfalls along the way that led to the divorce became our logical conclusion. One cannot blame either myself or my ex exclusively for what happened, and I suspect that the same holds for Mark and Patty. As my mother often said, "It's six of one and half a dozen of another." I would have liked to have had more information about the marriage because it would have provided more insight into Mark, his drive, and his accomplishments. Perhaps someday we will know more.
Thank you for sharing your personal story. Yes, I hope he can someday share. As I observed, it was one of only two occasions he failed in his life, the other being his bankruptcy.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 16:00 With six years between Mark's marriages, I think it would have occurred if there was any chance of reconciliation. I do not feel like Mark should have to justify his decision in this book. It is a private matter between him and Patty. Like the accountant, people always have an opinion.
I’d disagree slightly, I think when you’re writing a book as personal as he is and with the other details he includes I think he should include those details and not keep it private. Although as I type that I do feel that his ex-wife deserves privacy and it could be her input that stopped him going into detail.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Slater678 wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 02:55
I agree with your comment. However, his marriage and the bankruptcy incidents were the only failures he had in his life. With the bankruptcy incident well explained, as the reader of his memoir, I felt Mark had an obligation to comment, however small, about his failed marriage. As it is and considering he's a public figure, I find it self-serving that he chose what to reveal in his life and what not to.
Jack King 2 wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 14:50
I’d disagree slightly, I think when you’re writing a book as personal as he is and with the other details he includes I think he should include those details and not keep it private. Although as I type that I do feel that his ex-wife deserves privacy and it could be her input that stopped him going into detail.
That's it. We do not know why he did not include it. Was it for his protection or his ex-wife's? Only he knows the answer to that. I respect any privacy that he feels he needs.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 20:03
Slater678 wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 02:55
That's it. We do not know why he did not include it. Was it for his protection or his ex-wife's? Only he knows the answer to that. I respect any privacy that he feels he needs.
I don’t think it would be unreasonable for him to have shared why in the book though. Even if it was just a time issue. The book is already sizeable and adding in that detail may have added a decent chunk.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Valid point there. Though if that was the case and if he's reading this, it will be good for him to disclose that in his book for the sake of his readers.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Slater678 wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 09:25
Valid point there. Though if that was the case and if he's reading this, it will be good for him to disclose that in his book for the sake of his readers.
If he’s reading this hopefully he can reply on here and let us know :lol: the feedback has been very positive so hopefully he does check in and read what has been said.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Regardless of how much of a congenital optimist one is, some marital issues are irreconcilable, especially if it has to do with an utmost breach of trust. It must be a grave issue for Mark to have left, considering his views on marriage.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Despite being disappointed about the divorce, I believe Mark choose what he felt was right. I think his daughters later on understood the situation and respected their father's decision. I think what matters in the end is that they are all contented.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

From the narrations Mitzi gives in the book, it looks like the two would have no way back. I'm a great advocate of not forcing issues and walking away in a quest for peace. I, therefore, have no problem at all with Mark's divorce, despite the many years of marriage.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Mark went with the decision that felt best for him and his daughters. It's better to leave a marriage than to be consistently unhappy in it.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”