Question over a long-standing marriage

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Re: Question over a long-standing marriage

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I agree with many who posted saying what happens in a marriage is between those two individuals. Outsiders will never know what circumstances lead to Mark's divorce. And we cannot judge him for not explaining that. It is his personal life. Even if he is a public figure, it doesn't give anyone the right to ask him for a justification. That's just my opinion.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

I believe sometimes trying to reconcile with an estranged spouse is important, especially if children are involved. However, it is also my opinion that living an unfulfilled and unhappy life can damage the lives of the children, as it can convince them that they stand in the way of their parents happiness. The fact that he is honest with his ex-wife and towards himself is mature, and therefore the right thing to do in my opinion. However he could possible have tried harder to reconcile with her. Therefore even though I do not know every specific detail of this specific case, I am inclined to agree that a honest and upright devorce was, if not the most ideal option, the mature and respectfull thing to do.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

AnInternationalMountainMan wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 18:45 I believe sometimes trying to reconcile with an estranged spouse is important, especially if children are involved. However, it is also my opinion that living an unfulfilled and unhappy life can damage the lives of the children, as it can convince them that they stand in the way of their parents happiness. The fact that he is honest with his ex-wife and towards himself is mature, and therefore the right thing to do in my opinion. However he could possible have tried harder to reconcile with her. Therefore even though I do not know every specific detail of this specific case, I am inclined to agree that a honest and upright devorce was, if not the most ideal option, the mature and respectfull thing to do.
I agree with you, also sometimes the longer you try and force it to work for the children the harder it could then be to have a cordial relationship afterwards. Potentially making it even harder for children after a split.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

It may be quite different to see the full picture of what may have gone down with the two of them in private. With the kind of man that Mark is, I feel he must have tried but the truth is that things don't always have to work out. Taking an honorable bow may have been the best option.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Staying together just for the sake of the child isn’t always a good idea. Sure, separating and making the child choose one parent is equally disturbing for their growth but at least they won’t grow up in an unhappy environment. Speaking of the trying to make it work, unless we know both sides of the story and both the parties personally, it isn’t right on our part to comment on their marriage. They must’ve split up for a good reason. 27 years is a quite a long time after all!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I don't like divorce if fights isn't involved. Mark should have reconsider since there were children in the marriage. Marriage is not easy but it is all about perseverance.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

As someone who is not a part of their relationship, I agree that it is difficult to evaluate and say that they should have tried harder. In addition, other from the divorce, I don't think there was much personal information regarding Hansen's previous marriage in the book. Yet, before concluding that divorce is the best course of action for all parties, most marriages do their utmost to make it work, especially if there are children.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

After 27 years of failed marriage, I think Mark deserved the chance to live a happy and fulfilling life. In his sixties, everything culminated for him concerning his work and love-life. His relationship with Crystal transformed his life completely.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

For a twenty seven year old marriage, I think that they have been through thick and thin for Mark to have divorced his wife like that. Anyways, the major determinant is the offense committed.
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

Abdul-Malik Hassan wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 09:54 After 27 years of failed marriage, I think Mark deserved the chance to live a happy and fulfilling life. In his sixties, everything culminated for him concerning his work and love-life. His relationship with Crystal transformed his life completely.
I agree, there is a point in life where you can probably say that you've tried enough, to save your marriage. After 27 years of a failing marriage, a non-fulfilling job, and problems all around, I would also try getting my life in order, and possibly improve myself and improve my life. To be fair his relationship with Crystal helped him and at least he is being honest with his wife. I have a colleague who felt trapped in his marriage and cheated on his wife for years, using excuses and eventually making her hate him and now he has destroyed the harmonic family life his children had forever.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

A third person can never judge a marriage. Often two persons who are individually very successful, empathetic and esteemed are not a good match with their partners. Often, their marriage is a cause of distress for their families and kids. In such circumstances, it is better to part ways. The differences must have been huge because it is never easy to part ways after an association of twenty seven years. I’m sure both partners would have wanted to save their marriage especially since kids were involved too.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

I do not think being an Optimist means that one should continue in a situation or relationship that they find unfavorable. One of the perks of being an Optimist should be to look forward to a positive outcome even if the current marriage has deteriorated.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I think that while their daughters might be a reason to stay together, it might also be a pointer for them to split up. Because their relationship affects their children, and he is the only one that knows what he withstand and what he can't, hence his decision to divorce.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

27 years really is a long time but the pair chose to go that route and it is what it is. Divorce is never nice and I personally hate it because of what it does to families but I'd like to believe it was amicable.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Regrettably, the surface level of a relationship rarely reveals all that is going on. It is practically hard for anyone to understand the reasons why certain couples can overcome challenges while others cannot unless they play a crucial role in the relationship. During the 27 years they were married, perhaps Patty was given additional time and second, third, or even fourth chances, and Mark ultimately gave up. The six years that passed between Mark's divorce and his remarriage gave him more time to consider reconciliation; it's possible that he attempted it but it didn't work. Mark doesn't seem to have rushed into his second marriage.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”