Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Well, it depends on the kind of punishment you mete to them. So far as the punishment is not the type that would dampen their spirits, it is okay to punish children when they err. At least it will teach them the virtue of being accountable for their actions. As someone who was shaped by my parent's discipline, I will continue with that tradition.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Yes, Disciplining children for mischievous antic is indeed better for their future, but we have to understand that the word disciplining doesn't mean having or inflicting pain in our children, there are other ways to discipline children.
Thera reads
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Thera reads »

Disciplining children for mischievous antics can be beneficial for their future if done in a thoughtful and constructive manner.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Yes, disciplining children for mischievous antics helps them learn the importance of boundaries. So I support that children be disciplined for that.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

I have mixed feelings about that. I mean, for sure children need to be disciplined because in the end it is beneficial for their future. Letting any kind of person (child or adult) so anything and everything without a price is just wrong and sends the worst message to humanity.
How you discipline a child, however, is what I find myself wondering about. I saw many mothers discipline in different ways, but I still haven't found one way that I deem "right".
So I guess it's a big question mark.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Discipling children when they do wrong is good for their present and their future. There is a saying that leave the rod and spoil the child. A child not trained today would become a shame to one tomorrow.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh

Post by Kebun Bunga »

Disciplining children for mischievous antics can be beneficial for their future development. It helps establish boundaries, teaching them what is acceptable and what is not. Discipline also aids in developing self-control and impulse management, which are crucial skills for success in various areas of life. It teaches responsibility by making children understand the consequences of their actions. Effective discipline methods promote empathy and respect, as they involve discussions about the impact of behavior on others. Discipline can also enhance resilience by teaching children to cope with setbacks and challenges. However, discipline should be approached with care, tailored to the child's age and developmental stage. Harsh or abusive disciplinary practices should be avoided. Discipline should be balanced with love, understanding, and open communication to create a supportive environment for a child's growth.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”