Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Re: Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Post by Helen Akoth »

I concur with you that Mark's mother was lovingly wise in the way she disciplined her children. Even Mark and the siblings learned not to take the acts of disciplining negatively. I believe parents and other caregivers should strive to make disciplining a tool for pointing out and correcting a wrong behaviour, and not as way of severely punishing their children. This way, the children learn to receive it well, like Mark and the siblings did. This also contributes to their later successes in life.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I believe in disciplining children, and Mark's story cements that belief. Parents should be able to instill their ideals and values in children by whichever necessary means. It rarely backfires.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I agree with you that Mark's parents seemed to strike a good balance between setting boundaries and allowing their sons to explore and develop their personalities. It's important for parents to establish rules and consequences for misbehavior, but they should also encourage their children's creativity and independence. It's possible that Mark's early experiences of testing boundaries and being disciplined in a reasonable and consistent way helped shape his resilience and determination as an adult. It's also important to note that every child is different, and what works well for one family may not be effective for another. Ultimately, parents need to find the approach that works best for their own children and family dynamics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

While I agree that extreme forms of discipline should be avoided as they could turn children into bitter and traumatised adults, I believe discipline helps children grow into respectful and wholesome adults.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

While I agree and subscribe to punishment as a way of correction, I do not agree with some of the things Mark and his siblings went through. It's not a hard and fast rule that disciplining children would make them better and they should know why they are being disciplined. I'm glad Mark turned out alright.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I believe disciplining children is a tricky subject. Each child responds differently to different forms of “discipline”. Being harsh with children may do more harm than good. They may start fearing the thought of coming to you for anything and end up falling deeper into the pit of problems. Being too lenient, may ruin their lives too. So, disciplining a child is very subjective, but I still believe that hitting should never be a form of discipline.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Yes of course. I agree with disciplining children at the earlier stage. You can control them more when they are still young. The corrections also stick with them when they are at a younger age.
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Diamond Harrell »

I think, as mentioned, it's really about the type of discipline. Kids need to learn discipline. They need to learn about consequences for their actions so that they can have a fighting chance as adults. It just doesn't need to be done in a way that traumatizes them or causes issues for them later down the line. I think his parents did a great job with him as they were able to maneuver that.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I consider discipline to be crucial. Children must understand that their acts have repercussions. Instead of making kids afraid to make mistakes, discipline should be implemented in a way that helps them learn from their failures. Without discipline, kids will become entitled, morally bankrupt adults who think they can get away with anything because they always have.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Disciplining children is a challenging task for parents, and it often feels like a no-win situation because there will always be someone who thinks you're doing it wrong.

I personally believe that positive reinforcement, time-outs, and logical consequences are necessary to teach children right from wrong. The best approach to discipline may vary depending on the child's personality, behavior, and specific likes and dislikes. For example, a child who enjoys reading may respond well to having their favorite book taken away as a consequence for misbehavior. On the other hand, a child who loves playing video games may respond better to a time-out or loss of screen time.

While many parents wish for a handbook, the reality is that raising children is a unique and dynamic process, and mistakes are inevitable. As long as parents and children learn from their mistakes and grow together, the likelihood of creating a respectful and responsible adult is higher.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I think there needs to be a balance between discipline and letting a child explore. Too many punishments can make a kid restricted in their thinking capacity and even resent their parents for it.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I am a firm believer in disciplining children. I believe it is necessary. However, the approach is what matters to me. The end goal of disciplining a child is to teach them. Those lessons stick and when they are still young, they don't disregard those teachings.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Reading about Mark's parents' disciplinary methods made me feel conflicted because of how the kids reacted later. In my opinion, it was a game of chance that might have gone either way for Mark and his siblings. We can now enjoy this book since Mark was correct, which is a blessing.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

Discipline yielded good results for Mark. Parents who discipline their children with kindness truly love their children.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

Disciplining children is good for them because they learn that they are wrong and can easily adapt at the point. It is easier for them to change their behaviors at that point than at a later point in life.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”