Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Is disciplining children for mischievous antics good for their future?

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

I agree that Mark's parents did an excellent job of raising their children by striking the right balance between discipline and encouragement. Neither extremes would be helpful and it is imperative to have discipline in order to nurture our minds and reach our goals in life. I do hope that parents nowadays are able to continue to strive for balance, rather than perfection. And also, to know that shortcuts will not yield positive results.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Discipline is necessary for training children. The best way to train children should be give them freedom within control. The control here is the discipline.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

Disciplining children for certain antics is sure good and safe for their future. Why? Because they are easily impressionable. If they are not corrected, they might take those as normal, which might be dangerous to forming a healthy mindset.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I don't agree with punishing children in a physical manner. This creates obedience based only on fear. Children should do the right thing because they think it's right, not because they are fearful of the consequences. Many people who are treated this way spend years unlearning the inner dialogue created by their parents, and healing from this. Many think they "turned out fine" despite the physical punishment, but if they then repeat the same patterns, can we really believe they are fine?
I think in those times there was a lot less knowledge of the effects though. When we know better we do better.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

In general, a balanced approach to discipline that emphasizes positive reinforcement, clear expectations, and consequences that are appropriate to the behavior can be effective in teaching children how to navigate the world around them in a healthy and responsible way. This approach can help children learn from their mistakes and develop the skills and values they need to succeed in the future.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz

Post by Maileyrom »

In my opinion some discipline is needed, no need to raise a hand. A child can receive love and discipline in the best dosages and later on they will be grateful not to have had everything they asked for.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

It is possible that it influences, but it can vary according to the type of person.

In some children, the punishment they are given, to discipline, makes them try to defy authority even more, causing them to hold a lot of grudges.

On the other hand, in other cases it serves as an example, and the children do not make the mistake again. In general, it would depend on many things, and may not be very helpful in most cases.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Disciplining children for childish antics, especially when they're outrageous antics makes them understand boundaries and limits and makes them into mature adults. So, yeah, I think Mark’s parents did the appropriate thing.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Olga Markova wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 13:05 The early chapters of Relentless describe Mark's childhood and many mischievous antics that got him and his brothers to be disciplined by his mother gently by cornering or spanking with a home slipper at the extreme. Even cornered, the boys theatrically wailed but once their mum was out of sight they were laughing. I personally think that Mark's parents were amazingly wise in the degree of sanction for the boys' mischiefs - showing them boundaries of safe play yet not "caging" their minds, and this gentle treatment contributed to Mark's success in his future life. What do you think?
I think discipline is necessary. Children are very impressionable and at a young age, they pick up on little things around them that will stick with them for the rest of their lives, so it's a parent's responsibility to make sure their children learn good moral values and have good characters. As someone who grew up with Asian parents, I was often spanked and shouted at, and while I know in this day and age, that is heavily frowned upon, I feel like it really molded me into who I am today.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Saima Rahman »

Discipline is very important to lead a better life. It should be instilled in life early and emphasized. Small punishments and rewards are good ways to discipline a child but I am totally against physically hurting the child in any way for any reason.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I believe it is important to discipline children for their mischievous antics when appropriate, but I didn't always agree with Mark's parents' methods. I also think that kids should be allowed to be kids every now and again... as long as they are not hurting anybody or themselves.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Well, it depends on the kind of punishment you mete to them. So far as the punishment is not the type that would dampen their spirits, it is okay to punish children when they err. At least it will teach them the virtue of being accountable for their actions. As someone who was shaped by my parent's discipline, I will continue with that tradition.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Well, it depends on the kind of punishment you mete to them. So far as the punishment is not the type that would dampen their spirits, it is okay to punish children when they err. At least it will teach them the virtue of being accountable for their actions. As someone who was shaped by my parent's discipline, I will continue with that tradition.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”