Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Re: Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Post by Joyjim »

Patience and perseverance are virtues that pay off in the long run. However, you need to believe in the rightness of your cause to hang on for as long as necessary. Mark's example show how fruitful these qualities can be.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

It's important to strike a balance between perseverance and self-care. It's okay to push yourself to achieve your goals, but it's also important to recognize when it's time to take a break, rest, and recharge. This will help prevent burnout and ensure that you can continue to pursue your goals in a sustainable way.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I think Mark and Jack persevered despite the many rejections because they were 200% that they are onto something and they will end up being successful.
However it is also very important to know when to stop or to set a limit. I can't help wonder how far they would have gone or how many more rejections it would have taken for them to change the book's title? Perhaps it was easy for them to persevere that much because they had other activities going on. Pursuing the publication of the book was an extra activity.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

I think in this case perseverance it was justified as they were sure of the quality of the product. It is easier to persevere if you are self-confident in what you are offering than when you are unsure. I guess the fact that it was a product of two people made it easier to fight for eat as they could rely on each other for pushing themselves to the limit.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

If I were to receive that number of rejections, I would withdraw and reflect, unless the undertaking is matter of life and death. I would probably look for alternative ways before reaching that number of rejections. Enduring 144 rejections is extreme perseverance for sure.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I think there is for sure a point where continuing forward in the face of adversity is not worth it, but what that point is is HUGELY subjective. In the example you gave, I can only assume that the authors felt very passionately that their book was good, and would make the world better once published, and therefore it was worth ploughing through a huge amount of adversity to achieve the desired result. If I'm trying to get lunch, however, and my favorite sandwich shop is closed, I'm not going to face some extreme adversity by driving to another location in a different city or starving myself until it re-opens.

It's a question of "how much adversity is your goal worth"?
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I think it really depends on what it meant to me, or the purpose of it. If I truly felt that it was the right thing to do I would keep trying. It would not feel like a chore if it felt like I was getting closer to my goal. However, I think it takes a very special and "Relentless" person so try 144 times. That is above what most would be able to take.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

In my opinion, while perseverance is generally a positive trait, it's important to find a balance and avoid taking it to an extreme. This means recognizing when it's appropriate to persist in the face of challenges, and when it's important to take a break, seek support, or change course. By maintaining a healthy balance, we can achieve our goals while also maintaining our well-being and relationships with others.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

He who perseveres reaches.

This is really inspiring, and although it may not be a tip to follow for all people, honestly it may be that it is teaching that: when you really want something, and you know it is for you, chase it until you reach it and get it.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 20:53 He who perseveres reaches.

This is really inspiring, and although it may not be a tip to follow for all people, honestly it may be that it is teaching that: when you really want something, and you know it is for you, chase it until you reach it and get it.
I totally agree. I do not think there is a limit on the times you might persevere. It will depend on the person and what you are trying to obtain. Edison failed more than 144 times before getting a light bulb working. I think sometimes the person just knows that it is going to happen what they have envisioned it is just that they do not know when this will happen.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Olga Markova wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 16:54 When Mark and Jack tried to publish their first-ever Chicken Soup for the Soul book, they received 144 rejections before they eventually succeeded to find a publisher. Although the book eventually turned out to be hugely successful, reading about this quest I kept thinking that maybe life is too short, and I still keep asking myself if they should have made changes to get accepted by publishers sooner, self-published, or altogether moved on and directed their energy elsewhere. Any thoughts about this extreme perseverance?
I am a firm believer in persevering until the end. Ultimately, when you face obstacles, or in this case, rejection, you need to stop and think about whether pursuing your goal is worth it. Reminding yourself of why you started in the first place will help you keep on going, despite all the blood, sweat and tears. Nothing comes easy, and if you want something, you have to work for it. Sure, life is short, and you could go off and try something else. But what if you face multiple rejections again? Would you give up and try something else once more? For me, I would rather have spent my life trying to pursue the things I love and believe in rather than continuously giving up on multiple things. Moreover, I truly believe that if you work for what you love and you wholly believe in it, you will achieve results. Now, why would I want to miss out on something glorious like the success Mark and Jack enjoyed just because I doubted my ability and creation?
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Saima Rahman »

Perseverance and endurance are commendable traits. It is not wrong to wait for something you believe in, but the moment it starts hurting your health and you reach your limit, it's time to give it up. What is more important is knowing yourself and what is best for you.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 526
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

Personally, after several rejections by publishers, I would decide to publish the book independently.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I think it depends on the person. I have many friends who experience insurmountable joy and satisfaction after achieving their goals, even if it took them years to accomplish. I, on the other hand, believe that my time is the most valuable thing I possess, and there is no goal that I would find worthy of putting myself through years of stress for.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

Despite the fact that persistence is generally a good quality, it's crucial to strike a balance and prevent going too far. This entails understanding when it's appropriate to continue in the face of difficulties and when it's critical to pause, get help, or change directions. We can accomplish our objectives while also upholding our wellbeing and interpersonal connections if we can maintain a good balance.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”