Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I actually wrote in my review that I would have walked away after that tenth review. I'm glad Mark persisted and got the great results he did. Probably a good lesson on perseverance.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The story of Mark and Jack's perseverance is a great example of how persistence and determination can lead to success, even in the face of numerous rejections. However, it's important to note that everyone's journey is unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's possible that Mark and Jack could have made changes to their manuscript to make it more appealing to publishers, but ultimately, they believed in their vision and continued to pursue it until they found success.

It's also worth considering that self-publishing was likely not as viable an option back then as it is now, and that the publishing industry has changed significantly since the release of the first Chicken Soup for the Soul book. Today, self-publishing has become a popular and accessible option for many aspiring authors.

Ultimately, I believe that extreme perseverance can be a valuable quality, but it's important to strike a balance between persistence and adaptability. Sometimes, it's necessary to pivot and try a different approach if the current one isn't yielding results.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Everything will fall into place eventually and perseverance is the key to achieving it. It took that many times because it may not have been the right time for them. If it had been published in the first go, maybe it wouldn't have been as successful as it did.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

You can never go wrong with having a firm and unwavering belief in yourself. Extreme perseverance can only be a bad idea if you're focused on the wrong things. Once you are pursuing a worthwhile course, you can never go wrong.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I think it depends. Experience can play a huge role in terms of the decisions we make in life and the potential outcome. In Mark and Jack’s case, they had come up with unique and profound ways to handle rejection. The motive for their "Don’t Quit” story was driven by the concept of 'cheerful persistence’. One of the reasons why they encountered success is because of the two basic assets that Mark quoted in his speech. He insisted that entrepreneurs must rely on their innovative creativity to form meaningful co-existing relationships.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

There are different systems that work for different people. Personally I don't have that level of patience and resilience. I may have tried to self-publish or even change some things to get accepted. However it worked for them and they didn't even have to try so long.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I think that being extreme in. Any area of your life is not good. It's best to be moderate to live a stress free life. It is possible if they hade a different approach to publishing the book maybe they would have succeeded earlier. But things only happen when they are meant to happen no matter how u do them. So you never know
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Perseverance can be extremely tiring but one thing is that when one is about to drop everything, it gets better. I guess one should have a strong faith in what you can do.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

When I work toward my objectives, I absolutely try to be aware of toxic positivism and toxic hustle culture. Yet, sometimes it takes giving everything you've got—and then some—to get where you want to go.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Perseverance is generally considered a positive trait, as it can help individuals overcome obstacles and achieve their goals. However, it is important to note that perseverance taken to the extreme can have iys own negative consequences like physical and mental health issues. So while perseverance can be a positive trait, it is important to balance it with self-care and an awareness of one's limits and priorities.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

It depends on the situation and how strongly you feel about something. It also depends on the person and how long you can afford to persevere. Some people are one paycheck away from poverty so they cannot risk doing certain things no matter how beneficial it would be for them in the future. In this particular case, the author already had professional success and could afford to persevere.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Truly I almost had the same thoughts, that they should have tried something else but I guess the power if faith and hope that kept them going made them believe and it worked for them.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

If the goal is surely obtainable,yes. It would be bad to start with energy and fall short later. One has to give their all, persevere, dedicate time and energy to make sure they acheive what they set out to achieve, but it shouldn't be done everytime. There are cases when one should understand that life comes with Ls.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

This story reminded me of J.K Rowling's story. The only difference is that Rowling received only 12 rejections while these guys were rejected 12 x12 times! I struggle to understand what kept them going especially after receiving the same kind of feedback. I understand the thought process behind the book name but man, they refused to change it despite being advised so many times to change it.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

That is so true and inspiring! Yeah, there are moments when we simply have to keep trying and have faith that all will turn out in the end!

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”