Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Is it good to persevere to the extreme?

Post by Olga Markova »

When Mark and Jack tried to publish their first-ever Chicken Soup for the Soul book, they received 144 rejections before they eventually succeeded to find a publisher. Although the book eventually turned out to be hugely successful, reading about this quest I kept thinking that maybe life is too short, and I still keep asking myself if they should have made changes to get accepted by publishers sooner, self-published, or altogether moved on and directed their energy elsewhere. Any thoughts about this extreme perseverance?
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

That is super inspirational! Yes, sometimes we just have to keep persevering and be positive that eventually everything will work out!!
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Olga Markova wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 16:54 When Mark and Jack tried to publish their first-ever Chicken Soup for the Soul book, they received 144 rejections before they eventually succeeded to find a publisher. Although the book eventually turned out to be hugely successful, reading about this quest I kept thinking that maybe life is too short, and I still keep asking myself if they should have made changes to get accepted by publishers sooner, self-published, or altogether moved on and directed their energy elsewhere. Any thoughts about this extreme perseverance?
It all depends on context for me, I’m sure for Mark the level of joy once it was published would have been worth it. In other instances sticking to absolutes are maybe not the best idea and can be harmful. At the end of the day I think you need to have perspective and not let one thing dominate your thinking.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Many, if not most, people would have thrown in the towel with that many rejections. But from the book, I got the impression that Hansen, with such a Type A personality, would have continued until hell froze over before giving up on his dream to publish the book. Having received plenty of rejections myself, it's exhausting to be told "no" continually. But Hansen doesn't seem to be the kind of individual who takes "no" for an answer. In this respect, I admire his tenacity. And obviously, it all paid off in the end.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

I commend the author’s tenacity in getting the book published and trying 144 times. Should others try this hard? It depends on how much it is impacting the rest of their life. If focusing on that task is not compromising the mental and financial well-being of the author or their family, then keep at it. All that hard work and rejection will make the final success sweeter.
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

We all have different thresholds to endure rejection and persevere. I applaud the author for his doggedness in pushing through before his book got accepted. I don't know if I can persevere for that long.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I believe there are some cases where extreme perseverance should be avoided, such as enduring an abusive relationship or anything that puts one in harm's way. But in regards to something like getting published -- if you don't have the drive to persevere, you will likely give up before you get anywhere.
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

What a great question! I think that perseverence is important, but keeping your long term goal in mind is important too. 144 rejections is a crazy amount to persevere through, and it certainly worked out for them, but I think they could have found fulfillment and satisfaction if they had published their book themselves, or even found another route altogether.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think the question you're asking depends on how truly passionate you are about something. Some people love something to the point that they would chase after it until the very end and they would still see their life as one worth living. However, in Mark's case, his situation of failure wasn't that long. Although he got rejected 144 times, they all happened in very short periods, which means he didn't really waste much time at all. In fact, he got 1.3 million copies sold within the first year, so I'd say the time was very well spend.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I honestly don't think I would persevere for that long.
I admire their rare personalities. It's very inspirational. And I learnt a lot from this.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Sometimes it's worth it. Of course there can be so many other ways to meet one's goal. But sometimes what one feels from their heart is just good enough to stick to it till the end.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

Toxic positivity and toxic hustle culture is something I definitely try to watch out for as I'm chasing my goals. But sometimes, getting to where you want to takes giving it everything you have and then more.
it is what it is ....
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I don't think there's ever an extreme to perseverance, so long ad you're pursuing a good course. If you stay on it long enough, favourable answers become inevitable.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I guess it depends. Mark is just one of the fee lucky and fortunate children to emerge successful after such an upbringing. But I would say that his father, Paul Hansen, is the one who led him to make the right decision. By teaching his sons that "Pride of ownership follows pride of ear ship”, Mark was able to develop a compelling mindset which would propel him to the path of success.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I guess it's termed 'believing in yourself.' They knew they had produced excellent work that didn't require change. They just needed to find the person who would see it. This is so inspiring. It's a trait everyone should strive to possess.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”