What do you think about Mark's latest project?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

What do you think about Mark's latest project?

Post by Olga Markova »

In the Epilogue of Relentless, we find out about the latest project Mark started in January 2022 - the Mark Victor Hansen's library. Having read about it and explored its website, I have mixed feelings. On the upside, it looks like a great idea in that it capitalises on Mark's uphill struggle to publish his first book and spares new authors the like struggle by offering the full set of services to publish and market their books. I also think that collaboration with OBC may be worth exploring, as new authors may be emerging from among the OBC audience and bringing more books to OBC. On the flip side though, I am unconvinced about the ghostwriting service for to-be authors - would it not be depriving of authenticity and suppressing emerging talent?
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This type of all-in-one service to get books published is gaining popularity. I looked into ghostwriting somewhat, and there is a big range of prices for it and, I'm sure, an equally big range of quality. My concern was whether the books would be properly edited and proofread and how much input the "author" has once the book is written. I have suspected some OBC non-fiction books were ghostwritten mainly by the Fiverr-type cover design and the poor editing, but of course, I can't be sure.

I also found that having a book ghostwritten is part of an entrepreneurial process to get books on the market and earn royalties. Some of these businesses also include having books recorded for apps like Audible. This type of setup that uses ghostwriters is workable for someone who has ideas but doesn't have the time or desire to write a book themselves. It all would depend heavily on the honesty and quality of the company and its writers. Having read Relentless, I would tend to put M.V. Hansen in the honest category.

As for me, I'd rather do the writing and wouldn't ever consider a ghostwriter. I, too wonder how other would-be writers feel about this.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Patty Allread wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 11:45 This type of all-in-one service to get books published is gaining popularity. I looked into ghostwriting somewhat, and there is a big range of prices for it and, I'm sure, an equally big range of quality. My concern was whether the books would be properly edited and proofread and how much input the "author" has once the book is written. I have suspected some OBC non-fiction books were ghostwritten mainly by the Fiverr-type cover design and the poor editing, but of course, I can't be sure.

I also found that having a book ghostwritten is part of an entrepreneurial process to get books on the market and earn royalties. Some of these businesses also include having books recorded for apps like Audible. This type of setup that uses ghostwriters is workable for someone who has ideas but doesn't have the time or desire to write a book themselves. It all would depend heavily on the honesty and quality of the company and its writers. Having read Relentless, I would tend to put M.V. Hansen in the honest category.

As for me, I'd rather do the writing and wouldn't ever consider a ghostwriter. I, too wonder how other would-be writers feel about this.
The availability to self publishing is becoming easier and easier with advances in technology. I’m sure we as readers (and authors that post here too) will benefit at least in small part from this. A brilliant story that may be deemed to risky, or confusing by main stream publishers could take off using a platform like this.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The availability to self publishing is becoming easier and easier with advances in technology. I’m sure we as readers (and authors that post here too) will benefit at least in small part from this. A brilliant story that may be deemed too risky, or confusing by main stream publishers could take off using a platform like this.
I agree with you, Jack. The ease of self-publishing is a boon to new authors who aren't picked up by the big publishers yet. It's also a boon to people like me, who enjoy reading and reviewing new authors and wouldn't otherwise have exposure to them. But the quality of ghostwriting is still a question I have if one were to hire a ghostwriter.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

I was also intrigued by the Mark Victor Hansen library initiative and checked it out. I see ghostwriting as increasing the number of fantastic ideas that can come to fruition rather than supressing emerging talent. Not every person with valuable life experience or wisdom to share is a good writer. That does not mean that their book ideas or thoughts shouldn’t be shared with the world. Those who are gifted authors and want to pursue writing using their own unique voice are not limited by this service being available.

You do, however, raise a good point on authenticity. I would be very curious to know how many of the books I read actually used a ghostwriter.
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

I don't think this project will suppress emerging talents. Most of us became better writers from ghostwriting. However, I believe there's more to this project than one can know except one becomes a part of it. Nonetheless, I think it's a noble idea.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think the idea of ghostwriting can either be really good or really bad. On one hand, people who deserve credit to their works can't get noticed. On the other hand, it provides writers who don't want their names out there to get a chance to anonymously show their work to the world without fear of drawing attention.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

I think its a great idea and investment. It will allow others a better opportunity to have their books published and encourage new authors to write.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I actually thought the idea was a good way to give back. I didn't think much of it nor look into it that much, but I see very valid concerns from you and other reviewers. I'd love to see how a collaboration with OBC would turn out.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I actually thought the idea was a good way to give back. I didn't think much of it nor look into it that much, but I see very valid concerns from you and other members. I'd love to see how a collaboration with OBC would turn out.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

The greatest benefit is to new authors who intend to publish their first book. They'll learn about the author's struggles with publishing his first book and know upfront what to avoid to make the journey easier for them.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Aside from reviewing, Ghostwriting is something I want to specialize in. Though my opinion may differ, the ghostwriting service for to-be authors is something to take into consideration. Mark's success story is enormous. As a result, it may vary from each individual to choose what option fits them best concerning the opportunities given. Overall, I credit the whole project because of its ability to empower a multitude of writers embarking on their writing journey.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Having read this book, I understand where Mark comes from and what inspired his library. I admire him even more for his one-stop-shop approach and would like to believe he knows what makes a great book and factored all of that into his services. Ghostwriting has benefits and disadvantages. Personally, I prefer books written by the authors themselves because their personalities shine through. It's a way to connect with your audience.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

I do not think ghost writing will affect authenticity. While everyone is capable of creating ideas, not everyone is adept at writing. I believe this part can be outsourced to professional writers.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I have mixed feeling about ghostwriting. On one hand, it allows people who have great ideas but lack the talent to write the opportunity to have their books out there. On the other hand, there is a loss of authenticity. Some things will be lost in the words like when things get lost in translation. Unless the ghostwriter's ideas are perfectly in-sync with the person's ideas whose book is being written. I also feel sad about the ghostwriter who doesn't really get recognized for his talent, his name will not appear. It takes a lot of talent for one to compile words to a captivating book.
The best way to help would be to give lessons on how to write a book to those who wish to do so.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”