What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Re: What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Post by Lucy Vera »

I just discussed this in another topic. I think the greatest take away for me is the authors relentless side. Mark is an Optimist who teaches me that I can do anything I want to. With the right amount of resilience and persistence I am good to go!
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

I was inspired by his persistence and self-belief. The publishers rejected his books 144 times. They were not convinced by the title of the book. He changed his marketing strategy but did not change the title of the book because both the authors coined it and it was close to their heart. Never give up even after failing multiple times and never let anyone shake the belief you have in yourself!
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

The greatest lesson I obtained from this book was, if you're persistent enough in whatever you do, soon you realize your dreams. Being relentless is the key to unlocking your heart desires.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

From Mark's life I learnt the importance of perseverance, persistency and not giving up.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

To be relentless in all I pursue. He showed me that life is unfair at times and unpredictable but whatever it throws your way, use it to your benefit.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

To keep going!! Regardless of what happens, just trust the fact that time will pass and good times are just around the corner. Believe in yourself; you are capable and can succeed.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

It is clear that good habits can be learned only if we persevere. Mark's relentless spirit opened the way to success.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

From this book I have learnt that being persistent pays off. It is also important to know how to grab opportunities and to be around the right circles of people.
When you spend time with successful people and results driven people, you end up not only emulating their behavior but, they can be helpful when needed. Like when you need an advice or to be introduced to someone who can really assist you in your career. Basically you need to be around like-minded people.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I learned the value of being persistent. Even when no one believes in you, you just have to push and keep working hard
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Every life has challenges, to succeed, we have to keep pushing through difficult times. I learned from Hansen that grit is a necessary tool for success.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

Constantly keep going. Regardless of what is being thrown at you right now or how bad the storm is, it will pass and the sun will shine once again. Believe in yourself; you are capable and can succeed.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

There are many lessons to be learned from Mark Victor's story, but the most pronounced, for me, is to never give up no matter how bleak the moment or the future might appear. Another thing is being visionary.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

Each step in life builds the personality of each individual. For Mark the episode of the bicycle was key as it taught him the value of earning each penny. Later on life he used his persistence to achieve everything he wanted to. From this book I have learned the power of being positive and willing to help others.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Olga Markova wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 12:30 Reading Relentless, I found it a very educational book, both personally and professionally. I was enjoying the lessons of Mark's hard-working career and of his personal failures and success. As an example, for me as an introvert, my biggest professional weakness is sales - the complete taboo :hand: . So I was astounded by the advice Mark's mother gave him when he was starting to sell greeting cards: "I am earning my own bicycle selling Gibson greeting cards. Would you like one box or two?" What is the best lesson you learned from Relentless ?
This is a fantastic book that perfectly shows the rewards of perseverance. Life is never easy and sometimes it's hard to keep going, but I think Mark's story is a lovely reminder that our labour will bear fruit. So chin up, and keep going! There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Andrada Madalina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

The best lesson I learned from Mark Victor Hansen's life story was the power of perseverance. I was impressed by his ability not to give up searching for a publisher for his book after being rejected more than 100 times. Also, I loved that the author taught me a valuable lesson about philanthropy and that he encouraged me to follow my dreams.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”