What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I learned that life is full of challenges. The challenges will never stop coming, but as long as I keep fighting to keep my head above the water, then things will usually turn out okay in the end.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

One lesson that stood out for me was to drink in the wisdom of the ages and then expand it. This is why I love reading, especially the self-help genre.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I've always struggled with persisting on a course when I can't see favorable results. Relentlessness is the best lesson I got from this book. Mark was the quintessence of a person with the will to persist till he achieved results. I have started applying that trait in my daily life and I've noticed that indeed there's always light at the end of the tunnel.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

The book has so many lessons. Never give up, change your direction if and when needed, don't stop at setbacks, have a positive outlook on everything, and so much more!
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Life may be too short to achieve all of our goals and dreams, but we will still be able to achieve at least one in this lifetime, and that is enough to be considered an achievement. Perseverance and humility are both characteristics that we must embody.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

One of the lessons that stucked with me is that there is a price to pay for success and the result would show eventually if one don't relent.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

Besides the most obvious one everyone already pointed out, I have 2 big lessons from this book:
1. Even when others don't believe in you, you have to believe in the goal you set out to accomplish. So many become easily discouraged, but success is a long game. It's not merely about persistence, but the audacity of hope. To believe in something bigger than you.
2. I can have a laundry list a mile long and still possibly get what I want, even if not in the time frame I would like. I usually get what I need accomplished, and sometimes it's outside of my "deadline". I'm ok with that, but I also don't have a ton of requisites for each goal. The fact that Mark had a list of 100+ qualities he was looking for in his second wife - and she turned out to embody every single one, is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in a while. Ludicrous in a good way, as if to say he dared to have specificity of standards and was greatly rewarded for it. These days, if you have a list of 10-20 things for a potential partner, you're regarded as "wanting or asking for too much." This gives me hope!
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

It may sound cliché, but the best lesson for me is, 'If you can dream it, you can do it.'

If a 9-year-old child can dream of owning a luxury English racing car and raise $375 to purchase one, I don't think we should underestimate our potential.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”