What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

What is the best lesson you learned from Mark's life story?

Post by Olga Markova »

Reading Relentless, I found it a very educational book, both personally and professionally. I was enjoying the lessons of Mark's hard-working career and of his personal failures and success. As an example, for me as an introvert, my biggest professional weakness is sales - the complete taboo :hand: . So I was astounded by the advice Mark's mother gave him when he was starting to sell greeting cards: "I am earning my own bicycle selling Gibson greeting cards. Would you like one box or two?" What is the best lesson you learned from Relentless ?
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

Life can present us with a myriad of things to keep us down. However, all we have to overcome and succeed is in us. This is what the author exemplifies in this book.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I have learned that the #1 important element to doing well is persistence. Over the course of his lifetime, Mark was able to succeed in multiple different hobbies and make a name for himself in a variety of areas that had nothing in common with one another with the exception of determination. This book has taught me the importance of that feature.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

To always push through. Whatever is thrown at you now or how terrible the storm is, it will pass and the sun will shine again. Believe in yourself, you are strong enough, and you can make it!
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

What I learned is that there is no downside to being tenacious. Mark could have quit and thrown in the towel multiple times, but he kept sticking to his guns and his personal belief in himself and what he could accomplish. That's not only admirable, but it's also necessary for whatever we choose to do in life.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Christine Palmer »

This book reinforced the need for persistence and hard work. Keep going in the face of adversity to triumph.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Relentless is both a biography of Mark Hansen and a motivational book. It teaches that success is not immediate. It takes many resolves, the ability to persevere despite the many failures, and setbacks in life. He is also a giver, as he is interested to improving the lives of others around him.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Relentless held so many lessons about life. One that stuck with me is that being tenacious has no downside.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

The title of the book is the very thing I re-learned. Relentlessness to achieve the things you want is good quality to have. Hard work in the face of adversity is not as easy as it sounds but it makes all the different.
it is what it is ....
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I very much appreciated that Mark Victor Hansen was a philanthropist and writer. According to him, the best book ever written hasn't been written, because we haven't written it - yet. The author teaches us that with the reading we get a lifetime of distilled wisdom from some of the world's greatest thinkers, doers, and contributors. He asserts that reading is a shortcut to success. It enables us to think bigger than we've ever thought. This was the best lesson I learned from Mark's life story!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Olga Markova wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 12:30 Reading Relentless, I found it a very educational book, both personally and professionally. I was enjoying the lessons of Mark's hard-working career and his failures and success. As an example, for me as an introvert, my biggest professional weakness is sales - the complete taboo :hand: So I was astounded by the advice Mark's mother gave him when he was starting to sell greeting cards: "I am earning my bicycle selling Gibson greeting cards. Would you like one box or two?" What is the best lesson you learned from Relentless?
I learned from Mark that - trust the process. Everything's going on is part of the process. I learn that changing careers is fine- even Mark was a greeting cards seller, became a musician, a successful public speaker, and last but not least, a bestselling author. He perseveres and tries new things until he finds his passion. It was a very inspirational book! Mitzi Perdue was great at delivering his remarkable story!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Mark's outstanding belief in himself and his skills, especially in marketing and sales, was inspirational. Like you, being an introvert makes these things harder for me, but Mark's story tells the enormous opportunities we get by putting ourselves out there.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Mark's relentless is the biggest lesson I picked from this book. If you fall nine times, rise the tenth time and keep pushing. Persistence is key in the journey to success.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I learnt that the best time to never give up is when you keep falling. It means something is about to happen. Mark's successes came after his failures.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Never ever give up and be relentless in your approach!
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”