Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Re: Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I believe that happens when you go through a rough breakup. But eventually one understands that love can not fit into a checklist.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I think the checklist idea was a tad too extreme. I understand where he comes from and commend him for taking the time to understand what he wants and needs and all that. However, no amount of ticks can guarantee a perfect relationship.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I also believe that Mark was forced to create those checklists as a result of his acrimonious divorce. But, there shouldn't be any rigid guidelines for loving. What functions for one person may not function for another. Being able to comprehend your companion is essential.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

I think people are dynamic, they change and therefore having a long checklist might not be the permanent solution to marital discord.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Totally agree!! When it comes to a relationship with a person, the checklist could be just a piece of trash. It would be changed 180 degrees when it comes to the feelings, love, heart. Because logic, brain, principles, can be totally different with the feeling.
Olivia Bird Whitworth
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-bird-whitworth.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Olivia Bird Whitworth »

Naghma Qureshi wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:34 I totally agree with you on this. The list does look like a checklist for selecting some items such as furniture or a car. The fact that Mark made this list shows how concerned he was about finding a way to find that perfect partner. But the list seems funny at places as well as highly subjective too with no clear definition. For example: who calls a person "user friendly"? It could have been used for humor but the if the person of interest reads it, may take offense. Similarly, "slender and radiantly fit"? What if the person loses that "fit" over time? Then there are items like "great personality", "wonderful", "magnanimous" etc. which are not self-explanatory. They are highly subjective. But after reading the whole chapter I feel Mark's point was that you can get what you are looking for and your heart will know what these items mean to you.
My husband and I ended up reading this chapter together and laughed at a lot of the items on the list. "User friendly" was definitely one of them :lol: . I also felt like I didn't measure up to the list at all, although we acknowledged that getting healthy eating and fitness under your belt seemed more possible at a later stage of life. All I can say is I'm glad my husband never showed me a list of what he expected.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I disagree with most people here. The checklist is not completely un-romantic, there are beautiful characteristics in it and, I believe Love was mentioned by Mark a couple of times. I think when it comes to choosing a partner for life, we need to engage both the heart and the brain.
We also need to consider that there are different types of loves. There is the crush, which is a strong attraction to someone, it has the sparkles, the magic and all the shine. But ultimately, the same way it came it can also depart, unannounced and brutal; and love is over.
On the other hand, there is the big Love. You end up loving someone because they are what you need, perhaps they complete you, or you care deeply for each other. And how do you know what you need from your partner (a quick checklist)? Perhaps it is their smile that you like, the way they smell or the way they carry themselves (note: all of this was in Mark's checklist). You keep on falling in Love over and over again because they ticked the boxes.
Notes: 1- I find Mark's checklist way too long and exaggerated, there shouldn't be that many items listed (he listed over 200 characteristics over a few months). I would think the more items on that list, the less chances to find someone. I laughed as I went through it, some things were just ridiculous. Perhaps a checklist with 10 items is reasonable?
2- We shouldn't have to check all the boxes of one's checklist. If you find someone with at least 70% of what you are looking for, I would say go for it! Give that new relationship a try! Your probably found your soulmate.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I used to have a kind of mental checklist, but my now-husband made me toss it, as he's minus some things on it, but what he does have more than makes up for those "misses". I think it's okay to have a few "Must Have"s and some "Absolutely Not" s, but beyond that, leave the lists to groceries!
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

That checklist did not sit well with me. It seemed like the checklist would be the deciding factor in who he would fall in love with.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

For this, I would say that it is different strokes for different folks. However, as much as I don't believe that love can be rationalized by a checklist, I believe that relationships should. It need not be a physical checklist, but it is important to ensure that a person covers at least 50% of what we would want.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

I believe that the use of the checklist is very helpful for people who need structure and order as a way to cope with making life decisions that are life changing. In this way, they are able to rationalize the decision made and be more effective at sticking to the decision which in turn makes that decision the right one. Therefore, I applaud the author for his reflective nature and ability to share this with others in order to also succeed in whatever life decision they need to make.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

When it comes to matters of the heart, there shouldn't be any checklists, in my opinion. But I believe his divorce was the root of it. Mark's list was a healthy representation of his ideal partner.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think it is pretty common for people to make checklists for what they want in a partner. However, I just simply would ignore them and I don't think they are really effective. When a person truly loves another, no checklist means anything because the hearts will simply link up.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

I have no idea what "love" implies in relationships and human relations, that is if it exits at all. Several things have happened to me, and I am having the opinion that what we refer to as love is just connection, be it emotional, psychological, physical, financial. Hardly can anyone just LOVE. So, that checklist of a thing helps buttress this assertion.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

Not everything works well for everybody, that is for sure. What is clear to me is that this methodology did not work badly for him. I think probably he fell in love with his first woman without having high standards and after the failure realized that he needed a bit of clarity on that unless he wanted to get the same result. Also the difference in age from the first marriage to the second is a key factor. Things seem different towards love the older we are as we tend to rationalize more.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”