Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Post by Olga Markova »

The book mentions the checklist of 267 qualities, values and characteristics of an ideal life partner Mark made for himself after his divorce. The abbreviated list of 100 of these traits is published in Chapter 17 of the book. I appreciate Mark's thoughtfulness in his trying to understand his own expectations so thoroughly and in such detail, but I personally would not care to be assessed against any like checklist - that makes me feel as if I were an item of furniture or other property. What do you think?
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I think Mark was compelled to make those checklist after passing through a bitter divorce.
But honestly, there shouldn't be any hard-and-fast rules to love. What works for one may not work for another. Understanding your partner is the paramount.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

I definitely would not like that idea either. I understand trying to find the right match, your life partner should be someone you can enjoy being with for many years, but a questionnaire won't always give you the answers you seek. There are so many aspects to a persons personality, qualities, and characteristics. There's no way a questionnaire could truly narrow that all down to the perfect person.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

I totally agree with you on this. The list does look like a checklist for selecting some items such as furniture or a car. The fact that Mark made this list shows how concerned he was about finding a way to find that perfect partner. But the list seems funny at places as well as highly subjective too with no clear definition. For example: who calls a person "user friendly"? It could have been used for humor but the if the person of interest reads it, may take offense. Similarly, "slender and radiantly fit"? What if the person loses that "fit" over time? Then there are items like "great personality", "wonderful", "magnanimous" etc. which are not self-explanatory. They are highly subjective. But after reading the whole chapter I feel Mark's point was that you can get what you are looking for and your heart will know what these items mean to you.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Putting a formula on love is not what I would call romantic. I found this rather ridiculous but given the man, not unsurprising. I would propose that "love at first sight" can't be equated with "love at first check-off-the-list" in most successful, loving relationships.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think creating a checklist like this is a way to set yourself up for failure. Nobody is perfect, so it’s likely that nobody will meet all of his criteria.
Andrea Peles
Currently Reading: Alaska Deadly
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-peles.html
Latest Review: The Poison Of Perfection by Angela Wadley

Post by Andrea Peles »

Totally agree with you on that topic.
I believe that if he has already made a list of the qualities he is looking for in a person, in my opinion he should express those values ​​to that person. Honestly, it is easy to say what we are looking for in another person, but what we give to that person in return is somethimes more important.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I agree with you! As much as Mark must have had his reasons for the checklist, I would not expect anyone to be understanding of the fact that their qualities had to be checked off on an actual list. Love should be natural as the list would not even guarantee a wonderful marriage.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

I am going to go against the grain here and be pro checklist. Mark's is a little extreme in the number of items. But for a person who has a history of making poor partner choices, a basic checklist can help guide them. The list may remind you not to compromise on dating someone who is insulting, borrows money from you, talks down about your hobbies or religion etc.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I am an ardent believer of the fact that everyone should stick to what works for them. However, in this case, I do not believe that a checklist is a solution. We all have what we want in a partner. I totally agree, but checking over 200 qualities on a list? I am not quite sure how that would play out, but I am confident it won't be nice, especially for the other party.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

Ms Chet wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 09:39 I think Mark was compelled to make those checklist after passing through a bitter divorce.
But honestly, there shouldn't be any hard-and-fast rules to love. What works for one may not work for another. Understanding your partner is the paramount.
I agree, especially about understanding the partner. I also think that if you love a person, you will be lenient to imperfections and choose your battles - after all, no-one is perfect. And then - what if suddenly another person appears who also ticks the whole checklist :) ? Or the person who previously qualified starts failing on some points, e.g. health or fitness? I think that in personal relationships emotional connection must prevail...
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Olga Markova wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 12:23
Ms Chet wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 09:39 I think Mark was compelled to make those checklist after passing through a bitter divorce.
I agree, especially about understanding the partner. I also think that if you love a person, you will be lenient to imperfections and choose your battles - after all, no-one is perfect. And then - what if suddenly another person appears who also ticks the whole checklist :) ? Or the person who previously qualified starts failing on some points, e.g. health or fitness? I think that in personal relationships emotional connection must prevail...
Exactly! That's the whole point.
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

I think the act of reflection on what Mark wanted was healthy. Taking time to understand what’s important to you and what you want in a partner is a good step to recovering from a divorce. That said, people aren’t perfect and people change. If Mark steadfastly adheres to this list forever, he’s going to have an unhealthy perspective on his marriage.

I agree that I didn’t care for the list. However, in trying to see the positive side, I could see it as a useful tool to reflect on what he values in a partner.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I don’t think there should be any checklist when it comes to matters of the heart. But I think it was caused by his divorce. The list for Mark was a healthy reflection of what he wanted in love.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think that method might be useful in a moment when you're trying to rationalize something like love, which is not easy to do. But just as knowing the theory does not make you capable of writing beautiful music, love cannot be reduced to a list of qualities.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”