Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Re: Can love be rationalised by checklist?

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Mark wanted to do this because he wanted to avoid mistakes similar to those that led to the divorce. By doing this he could be ensured of a peaceful marriage and could also understand the patner better. The people we choose go a long way in determining the life we'll have.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I also found it quite interesting. It gets even more confusing when he says he saw these values in the first few dates with his second wife. By the time you realize the true values people hold, it's probably way into the relationship.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I understand how some people may feel uncomfortable being evaluated based on a checklist of traits. It's important to remember that relationships are about mutual respect, communication, and understanding, and no one should be treated like an object or judged solely on a list of qualities.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Mark's long list for ideal partner is unrealistic, in my opinion. I don't think you can get a person like all the 267 qualities, it looks like he's looking for a perfect partner (perfect person). Maybe 10 qualities in the checklist are enough and realistic, rather.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

I agree that the thought of being compared with furniture etc. is offputting, and I my self would feel bad. However the act of him writing down his preferences in a checklist in my opinion, is only the act of mking a physical copy of the checklists all of us have in oir heads. Even though we may not think of our preferences as a checklist I believe it very much is. If we're talking about a life partner or a freind, we evaluate and weigh any person we meet with the preferences and qualities we like in a person. Therefore I dislike the way he writes down this inner checklist, however I believe it is not just normal but almost a human trait to have a very simmilar checklist in our minds.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

One of the reasons for the high rate of divorce in the United States is the lack of checklists before marriage. If you're looking for a job, there's a checklist from the company which you must satisfy to prove that you're qualified for the position before you get the title of 'employee'. Same applies to marriage. Some people have qualities that'll be detrimental to a marriage in the long run so a checklist is very important. So yeah, I love what Mark did. He got wise from his first marriage.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I agree. Being compared with some words on a checklist feels so degrading to a point. If you try to compare another person with your expectations, no matter how good your intentions are, it will still feel wrong, and it may backfire if the other person finds out that it had to pass positively on a checklist so that it could be approved by another person.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I understand Mark's need for a list since he had gone through a divorce however, I agree with you. I would not only feel like a piece of furniture or some sort of item, I would cringe at the thought that my partner has a list of qualities they check to see if I fit.
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I could agree with a shorter checklist, say, 10 qualities or something like that, even though I would think that it is very unromantic. But I know there are people who actually function better via reasoning than via their feelings, so maybe for them, a list might work. However, over 200 qualities is overdoing it, in my opinion.
Kirsi
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I really don't know who to agree with until I am done reading the book. Mark checklist will save him the trouble to repeating the same mistake he made before. Love is one of the hardest thing to control.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

It may seem absurd to someone, at first, as to why a person is willing to go to such an extent to find an ideal soulmate or twin flame. Nevertheless, I think this was a profound way to compensate for the loss he had incurred. On the contrary, it was in his admission that such ideas soon fade into the blue once the balance is restored.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I found the list of 267 qualities quite hilarious. Before I got married, I had a list of qualities I wanted my ideal wife to have. Well, after series of heartbreaks, I tore the list and opened my heart to accept a partner that is ready to do life with me. Nonetheless, I applaud the author for painstakingly making that list.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Love is a complex emotion that involves a strong emotional and physical bond between two people, and it often develops over time as a result of shared experiences and mutual respect. While having a list of qualities you want in a partner can be beneficial, it's important to remember that love is more than just checking boxes on a list.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I don't view it so much as a checklist for the other person, but as a way to understand myself and what I want in life. Love is wonderful but is not the only thing needed to make a relationship long-lasting. It is prudent that you share the same values and beliefs as the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and that you understand what you can and can't tolerate in a relationship.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I do not think that love can be rationalized by a checklist, but I do believe that more people should write down the characteristics they are looking for in a significant other. As you date people, you learn about qualities you love and hate. Some qualities may be uncompromising for you, such as someone who believes in polygamy versus monogamy. Writing these qualities down and continually updating them can help you avoid wasting your time or someone else's time in the search for a soulmate. Why should you tolerate something just to say 'I love you, but you have to change this quality'? That is unfair to both parties. If you feel negatively about being compared to a checklist of qualities, that other person is probably not for you - especially if they trusted you enough to tell you about the list and why they made it.

Personally, I would highly regard someone who had a list. I think it would be one of the best discussions to have while getting to know someone. Even if I didn't meet their expectations, I would be impressed with not having to play a 6-month, year long game that would inevitably lead to disappointment.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”