What's your favorite moment from the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

What's your favorite moment from the book?

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

There must be many favorites from the book indeed. But I am writing this post to show my special liking to the mention that Mark proposed to Crystal multiple times over the period of two years because he enjoyed her "Yes" moment so much. How much does that speak of the beauty of love between two souls?
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

What I enjoyed most was the description of the process that led to the production of the Chicken Soup books. I thoroughly enjoyed the birth of the concept, and it was neat to find out how the two authors came up with the title. The focus on the rejection process was priceless, not only to show the level of tenacity in the two authors but as a lesson for any would-be authors faced with a pile of rejection notices for novels or film treatments submitted for approval. It was also good to see how the actual publisher reacted to the book and the poor estimate of how many books would be eventually sold once Mark and his co-author did their dog-and-pony shows to promote the books and arranged for pre-sale payment. To me, this all was the best part of the book, whereas everything else paled in comparison.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I best liked the part of the book where Mark talks to God. He asks God for an answer to the question, 'What is my destiny?' He finally discovered that he wanted to talk to people who cared about things that mattered and made a life-transforming difference for them. His destiny was to do this through public speaking.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I really enjoyed Mark's determination with his music. My favorite moment was when, after watching the Ed Sullivan Show, he set out to start his own band. And out of nothing, creates something with his friends that people liked. Courage and Detrmination!
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

My favorite moment in the book was the part where Mark kept trying to get his book published even after encountering so much negative push back. Somehow he never gave up and his book became a success. It's amazing how great things flourish from negativity or in the most unusual circumstances. I think it's really inspiring especially for other people who are in similar situations.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

my favorite moment from the book is probably the story about how Mark managed to start up a popular band as a teenager even though he didn't know how to play a single instrument three weeks later. It makes me feel motivated to learn to pick up a piano or guitar
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

My favorite moment is the description of Mark Victor's inspirational stories and his unwavering spirit in surmounting the odds that crossed his path. This description helped me understand why the Chicken Soup series are such a great success.
Maileyrom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maileyrom.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Maileyrom »

My favourite moment is the very beginning, when just being 9 years old and wanting so much that bicycle he decided to achieve the goal of earning the money needed to buy it and not only he achieved that, he earned much more. I like when his father took him to the bank to reserve some of his earnings for the future.
"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Maileyrom wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 14:12 My favourite moment is the very beginning, when just being 9 years old and wanting so much that bicycle he decided to achieve the goal of earning the money needed to buy it and not only he achieved that, he earned much more. I like when his father took him to the bank to reserve some of his earnings for the future.
This was my favourite part too. I can't believe a 9-year-old could be so resourceful and, well, "Relentless" to earn the money to buy that bike. His dad was a very positive influence. I wish my parents had taught me the value of savings.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

My favorite moment was when Mark set out to make his own band. It struck me as a very spontaneous decision, and it seemed like so much fun. I also thought it was great that he started the band with his friends!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: 02 May 2023, 16:58 My favorite moment was when Mark set out to make his own band. It struck me as a very spontaneous decision, and it seemed like so much fun. I also thought it was great that he started the band with his friends!
That was my favorite moment, too. I loved that they did not let the fact that Mark and his bandmates have never played an instrument stop them from starting The Messengers. They were so captivated by the Beatles’ iconic Ed Sullivan Show performance.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Yulisa Sanchez wrote: 07 Apr 2023, 15:35 My favorite moment in the book was the part where Mark kept trying to get his book published even after encountering so much negative push back. Somehow he never gave up and his book became a success. It's amazing how great things flourish from negativity or in the most unusual circumstances. I think it's really inspiring especially for other people who are in similar situations.
That was a critical moment for me and it came at the right time for me to read. I am in the middle of starting my own business and was rejected by an investor. If being rejected 144 times and still succeeding is not a demonstration of perseverance, I don't know what is.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

The part where mark persisted on having his book published exemplified resilience and that's one quality I hope to build. I loved that part of the book a lot
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I liked Mark’s tenacity when he was trying to get his book published. He never gave up on it because he knew how much it could help people. He had confidence in his work and never gave up.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I also particularly find that part the best. As a hopeless-romantic person, this scene becomes remarkable for me. Hearing or speaking that "yes" for a million times and feeling the same spark all over again shows that they both love each other indeed.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”