Kindle versions

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Samantha-may00126
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Kindle versions

Post by Samantha-may00126 »

Hi guys! Wondering if maybe you are able to help me here. I've owned many kindles over the years and haven't been the biggest fan of the device itself. I've always gotten the ones that are just as much regular tablet as they are e-reader. My question is, which kindle is the best for reading? I do NOT need to be able to play games, or browse the internet. I just want to read lol
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I personally like the fire 8. It fits comfortably in my hand and it's not hard on my eyes.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
lildorsey
Currently Reading: Absolutely Organize Your Family
Bookshelf Size: 1584

Post by lildorsey »

I still have and use the original Kindle Fire. It works really well for me as an e-reader, although I am considering a future upgrade. I just cannot decide which model to purchase. When it comes to the original model that I have, my biggest issues are that the size of the drive is not very big, so sometimes I run out of space and have to figure out what I want to take off of it and what I want to keep. This is especially true if I want to use apps. And it is also very glitchy and slow for both the use of internet and for using apps. The apps and the internet often randomly just shut down. I am hoping that many of the newer models have fixed some/all of these issues.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I just bought the 10th generation Kindle. It is smaller than I thought it would be but I love it. It's just for reading. I love that I can read in bed and the light that it gives out doesn't bother my husband. The only thing I dislike is that, when I am looking at the library page, it's kind of hard to read the book icons because it's in black and white. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I just got my 1st Kindle today! I found it on the Facebook marketplace for $25 brand new. I am still adjusting to it but I am happy to say I can see why it was recommended.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I would like to upgrade to the latest one. Can somebody suggest to me?
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 07:54 I just got my 1st Kindle today! I found it on the Facebook marketplace for $25 brand new. I am still adjusting to it but I am happy to say I can see why it was recommended.
How are you finding it as a second hand version? Does it run as well as a new one? As in, do you find the battery still has good charge etc?
Stephanie Runyon

Mr_Wimbaum wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 02:33
Mounce574 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 07:54 I just got my 1st Kindle today! I found it on the Facebook marketplace for $25 brand new. I am still adjusting to it but I am happy to say I can see why it was recommended.
How are you finding it as a second hand version? Does it run as well as a new one? As in, do you find the battery still has good charge etc?
It has excellent battery life of about 3 weeks between charges and runs great. My only issue is, being a Gen 4 version, it has no color, touch screen, there is no back light, and some books are not compatible. The Wi-Fi range isn't very good either. The storage capacity is excellent though. I know Amazon is running special on Kindle Fire 7s for $35 and I would suggest that over the model I have. I am actually going to trade mine in and they offered me $15.00 for it so I honestly got my value out of it so far.
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Mounce574 wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 20:56
Mr_Wimbaum wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 02:33
It has excellent battery life of about 3 weeks between charges and runs great. My only issue is, being a Gen 4 version, it has no color, touch screen, there is no back light, and some books are not compatible. The Wi-Fi range isn't very good either. The storage capacity is excellent though. I know Amazon is running special on Kindle Fire 7s for $35 and I would suggest that over the model I have. I am actually going to trade mine in and they offered me $15.00 for it so I honestly got my value out of it so far.
My issue is that Amazon (for the most part) don’t ship to New Zealand. So I have to buy from on-sellers 😢
Smigit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Smigit »

HeatherEi wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 08:41 I just bought the 10th generation Kindle. It is smaller than I thought it would be but I love it. It's just for reading. I love that I can read in bed and the light that it gives out doesn't bother my husband. The only thing I dislike is that, when I am looking at the library page, it's kind of hard to read the book icons because it's in black and white. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase.
You can change the colors. Double tap the screen.
Go to the the font drop dop menu and change the color.
At the top of the menu is a slider that allows you to adjust, how bright the entire device is.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I have a newer version of the kindle but it’s not the paper white or the fire. I like it more than the kindle fire I had previously. There’s no glare and I haven’t had any issues with battery life like I did with my kindle fire.
Stephanie Runyon

I have a new Amazon Fire 8HD (7th generation) that is amazing. I can change the font size, color, it can read to me, the wifi is amazing, and it can be altered to use Google play store for apps. Microsoft Word and a generic document creator came preinstalled. It also allows for archiving to a cloud account so the storage capacity is good too. Battery life is okay and I didn't really like the Silk browser much.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

Samantha-may00126 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 15:51 Hi guys! Wondering if maybe you are able to help me here. I've owned many kindles over the years and haven't been the biggest fan of the device itself. I've always gotten the ones that are just as much regular tablet as they are e-reader. My question is, which kindle is the best for reading? I do NOT need to be able to play games, or browse the internet. I just want to read lol
I have an amazon kindle and it works pretty well. If you want it just for reading then it's probably the best. You can connect it to your amazon account and the internet and then search and buy books. It's quite preferable to hardcopy books and is quite easy to handle. Also has features like dictionary, find location etc. Which are pretty helpful.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

Have not gotten a new version of kindle but i would love to get it. And enjoy all benefits attached to it.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”