To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
trace91
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trace91.html

To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by trace91 »

I am thinking of buying a Kindle but I have no idea which one I should get. I feel overwhelmed when I walk into a store and ask about the different models. Any help or suggestions would be great.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The Kindle Paperwhite is the newest one and unlike the basic Kindle has a touchscreen. I have the kindle touch and happy with it. The Kindle Fire is more of a tab. For reading purposes I recommend the paperwhite.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

I second that. I love my kindle but still read paper books.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I have the kindle fire hd and I've enjoyed reading books on it but use it for a lot of other things also. If you're wanting it mostly, or purely, to read books I would agree on the paperwhite as well. Paperwhites have much longer battery life and are generally set up to make reading ebooks awesome.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
Dunnie101

Post by Dunnie101 »

I have the kindle fire HD and its amazing. I still read paper books but love my kindle. Its easy to take anywhere and it isn't as bulky as paper books. You can do other things on it too by downloading different apps so its really versatile.
trace91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trace91.html

Post by trace91 »

Thank you for your help everyone.
A_D_Winch

Post by A_D_Winch »

I would go for the basic version because then it is just an ebook reader and you won't be distracted by all the other features.
Maryjeep

Post by Maryjeep »

I have the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Touch. I got the Fire as a Christmas present. I actually love both of them although I can obviously do so much more on the Fire that I usually pick it up first.
txgirl88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-txgirl88.html

Post by txgirl88 »

I have the 8.9 HD Kindle Fire model. I also have the 7" Kindle Fire. I am a member of Amazon Prime and enjoy my free book a month, plus free movies/tv shows. You can search for free books, books under a certain amount of $$, any thing you wish basically. My new 8.9 inch brings up suggestions under the carousel, which my 7" didn't. I can tell a difference in the HD vs. non HD as well. My kindle is my baby, nobody puts their hands on it but me!
bluemm0926
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemm0926.html

Post by bluemm0926 »

I just bought the Kindle Paperwhite and LOVE it!!! I had been debating getting an e-reader for a long time because I thought I was a "hard copy" book person and wouldn't like it and I was so wrong! I think the Paperwhite makes a big difference as opposed to the kindle fire or an ipad, since it is a dedicated e-reader. The backlight is a great feature for reading in the dark or the bright sunlight!
txgirl88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-txgirl88.html

Post by txgirl88 »

I need a paperwhite for when I am outside reading..I find it is hard to see on my kindle fire while in the sunshine.
runnergirl13-1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runnergirl13-1.html

Post by runnergirl13-1 »

I like paperwhite because after awhile the kindle fire gives me a headache.
luv2readbooks

Post by luv2readbooks »

I love my Kindle fire. I noticed that I have read more books on my Kindle or even my smartphone than actually flipping through actual pages of a book. As stated before the battery does not last as long. But definitely more portable.
violetpretty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-violetpretty.html

Post by violetpretty »

I've had the Kindle Paperwhite and love it. You can read for hours and not feel that fatigue you feel when staring at a computer screen. Also, the non-glare screen and white background are a plus!
Symphy_

Post by Symphy_ »

I have a Kindle Fire HD and i love it but i use it for more then just reading....But if you are using it for just reading purposes then i would suggest the Kindle Paperwhite

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”