Petition to convert all books into kindle books

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
BadrQamra
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badrqamra.html
Latest Review: "Warm Front" by Mark A. York

Petition to convert all books into kindle books

Post by BadrQamra »

I just love kindle, Its so easy to use, I bought one when they first came in and I am still using it:). I also have the app on my IPAD and my IPHONE. I mostly use my kindle at home and use my IPAD when i am commuting to work. I just love the fact that everything gets synchronized, I read on my IPAD and then when i get home i use my kindle and pick up where I left. I find it really annoying when there are books that I want to read which are not on kindle:(.

As i mentioned I commute to work, 2 hours daily and that's my favorite reading time. So when i want to read a book and its not on a kindle format, its just so unpractical for me. My bag is already heavy with my laptop and other things i need to carry, i can't also carry books :(.

I know in amazon there is an option to request kindle books, but i did that for few books and so far no kindle book yet :(

I mean don't get me wrong, I am not asking for all paper books to be burned and for only electronic books to exist. I would like to have both options. Actually I do like paper books a lot and mostly leave them at home to read at my leisure:)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I imagine it depends on getting agreement between Amazon and the holder of the copyright on each book ... down to $$$$$
Why not read the books you can only get in hard copy at the weekend or on holidays and uses your Kindle for commuting?

I read both regular books and Kindle books but if a book is heavy (say like The Goldfinch!) I will keep it at home and read it in the evening or at the weekend and read something else on the Kindle commuting to work or when I'm out and about ... best of both worlds. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
curlybookworm
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curlybookworm.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by curlybookworm »

Hi there! I respect your opinion and reason, but I dunno if that would be possible. As a voracious bookworm, I've been used to reading tangible books, since my childhood days. It's kinda practical to have e-books, not just kindle books, but more practical for non-techies and non-users of kindle and other e-book readers. :)
"With freedom, BOOKS, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" ~ Oscar Wilde
BadrQamra
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badrqamra.html

Post by BadrQamra »

Fran wrote: I read both regular books and Kindle books but if a book is heavy (say like The Goldfinch!) I will keep it at home and read it in the evening or at the weekend and read something else on the Kindle commuting to work or when I'm out and about ... best of both worlds. :lol:
Thanks for reply, Thats what I was planning to do, but as soon as i start reading a book on my kindle, I can't stop myself from finishing it. So eventually, I end up reading one page of my 1000 words paper book everyday :(
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Who still pays for ebooks? I download all I can read from my public library. They are available across all devices except Kindle, hmm, wonder why.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I'm a Nook fan myself so I'd have to say no to Kindle formats only.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I think it would be a wonderful idea to have all books available as an ebook (you can convert most ebooks to mobi and vica-versa, so the format is not that important) - it would be much more practical. But I also love printed books, so I have no issue with some books not being available in ebook format.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
booklovernana

Post by booklovernana »

I do not make a notion that all books go to the e-book style. I love my books in either book form or audio. I have a long commute to and from work and enjoy the audio's greatly. :(
tenb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tenb.html

Post by tenb »

Maud Fitch wrote: I download all I can read from my public library. They are available across all devices except Kindle, hmm, wonder why.....

Hmmm, my library has ebooks available in kindle format for some books. for some, i have to get the pdf though. i've asked the librarian, and she doesn't know what determines which format they carry. :?
mochababy70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mochababy70.html

Post by mochababy70 »

I only read now on my Kindle Paper White so it would be nice if all books were available for Kindle.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I have to admit I was first introduced to e-books when the first Nook came out so I have always liked them. I was given a Kindle as a present a few years ago though and now I love my Kindle. Amazon rules!
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I prefer actual books. I honestly think there is nothing better than reading an actual book (hard back or paper back)
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I enjoy having a choice between formats. When the power is out, paper books don't need to be charged (then again, they don't have lighting either), books are more flexible, easier to loan and borrow, and you can write in them, if you're into that sort of thing.

After suffering a mild brain injury, however, I very much prefer using Kindle because I've got the text size and spacing, as well as colors and lighting customized for easy reading. It'd be nice to pick up a paperback and just roll with it but I am able to continuously read only about 1 in 10 books without some issue.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

Well, I suppose we would have different opinions on that. All formats are good, only dependent on where we are coming from and accessibility.

I suggest it is better that we be open to all options to be accommodative of others.
wendygoerl
Currently Reading: Great Lakes Shipwrecks & Survivals
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by wendygoerl »

I hate Kindle. I read fast, and when I'm on a Kindle, I actually spend more time "turning pages" than I do reading! Not to mention that despite having three ways to turn pages, I either get sore fingers from clicking, it doesn't turn the page, or it turns too many pages.

Then there's the formatting. Oh, Kindle lets you pick your font! Whoopie! (yawn) Well, as an author in several different types of books, I can tell you there are times when you need to use multiple fonts (i.e. there's a reason THESE words are in THIS font and THOSE words are in THAT font). The only way you can get Kindle to respect that not everything should all be in one font is to use complex formatting--even if your book is pure text.

And then we come to widows and orphans--those poor few words that end up on a separate page than the rest of their paragraph. I'm particularly annoyed when ONE WORD ends up on the next page. A printer that know their stuff will correct for that, but whoever wrote the Kindle reader (whatever version you're looking at) didn't know and/or care. Again speaking as an author, I like tabs: they're easy to use, you can use them even with "primitive" word processors, and somehow--no matter how I set them--I can never get first-line-indents to look as "right" as tab-indents. But conversion to Kindle format completely ignores tabs, requiring the author to either use first-line-indents, before/after paragraph spacing, or empty lines (which you're discouraged from doing). This throws a monkey wrench in my method of making books, because I like to work on parts of the books in Jarte (which is incapable of first-line-indents and before/after paragraph spacing) and then bring them into OpenOffice (where I create the book) when I've decided where they fit in the book.

But the most egregious bone I have to pick about Kindle is Amazon's ability to change and take away "your" ebooks anytime they please. Make no mistake; you are not "buying" a Kindle ebook, you are LEASING it for a period of time that Amazon can change whenever it pleases. If an author makes a change to the book, they automatically change your copy to match--never mind you might have a reason to want the earlier version. They apply the same logic to their readers, forcing you to keep upgrading/replacing your reader to whatever they think you should be using. I used to read ebooks using Kindle for PC, until one day, I tried to read a new book that I'd just bought, and Kindle for PC wouldn't open. Well, Amazon periodically "expires" their software (they hawk about "improvements" every time they make a so-called "upgrade"--always looks the same to me), and the current version won't even attempt to install on a WinXP machine. So, as far as I'm concerned, my entire Kindle library is gone.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”