Anyone picking up the new Kindle 2.0?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
StanDaMan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anyone picking up the new Kindle 2.0?

Post by StanDaMan »

It was released today: ]amazon.com/kindle

Who's picking it up?
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

I am definitly thinking of chekcing out the kindle - any pros/cons that you can think of off the top of your head?
ebookguru

Post by ebookguru »

I ordered one already. It is scheduled to ship for the first of March. I largely avoided the old version, but with the new one I decided to give it a go.

Cheers,
Trevas
Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli »

Are you aware that Amazon has stated its ultimate goal is to rid this planet of hard copy books? They want us all to buy these gadgets and toss out paper books. They have been buying up smaller bookstores, used book search services, etc. and their goal isn't a scenario I cherish. I like books. I like paper books that I can take anywhere. I don't want to become a series of digits in a massive computer in the sky.

I'm flesh. I'm alive, and I want paper books!

Don't get me wrong...I would love to own one of these, to download blogs and web pages, but I enjoy the feel, the smell of paper and ink, even a little musty used bookstore smell. It's part of my whole reading experience.

I'm not looking for a fight!
books4smarts

Post by books4smarts »

It is an interesting thought, I would like to read a lot of reviews from people who have owned one for more than two months.

I suspect that true book fans will still struggle with the change over to a digital medium.

It may take more time for this to become more of a standard reading method.
SteveKahn

Post by SteveKahn »

I think it may have to come down in price to be successful but I'm biting.
dbreeds

Post by dbreeds »

The thing looks good, and the fact that you can store so many books on one little device is attractive. It seems like the iPod of books.

The main downfall is that it costs 350 bucks. And the price will never go down! Also, you pay 9.99 per book, which isn't awful, but the total can really add up quickly.
TheoGio

Post by TheoGio »

Sounds like a pretty nifty gadget that could be useful AT TIMES. There is nothing like sitting down to enjoy a good book - a paper book - though.
ResonantAleph

Post by ResonantAleph »

I don't think I would ever consider paying $350 for a piece of electronic equipment solely for the convenience of being able to read five-hundred thousand trade paperbacks simultanously. On top of the exorbitant price for convenience I don't need, purchasing a Kindli-... that is "Kindle" would necessitate re-purchasing all the books I currently own. I might be able to envision purchasing an eBook reader for the sake of less expensive (and certainly lighter) textbooks, but, as for leaisure reading, I'd just as soon stay with my analog bÜk 1.0.
“Bring something incomprehensible into the world!”
―Gilles Deleuze
ResonantAleph

Post by ResonantAleph »

I don't think I would ever consider paying $350 for a piece of electronic equipment solely for the convenience of being able to read five-hundred thousand trade paperbacks simultanously. On top of the exorbitant price for convenience I don't need, purchasing a Kindli-... that is "Kindle" would necessitate re-purchasing all the books I currently own. I might be able to envision purchasing an eBook reader for the sake of less expensive (and certainly lighter) textbooks, but, as for leaisure reading, I'd just as soon stay with my analog bÜk 1.0.
“Bring something incomprehensible into the world!”
―Gilles Deleuze
belle717

Post by belle717 »

I travel a lot and can definitely see the advantage of a kindle. As a hard core book lover, even for a short trip, I pack a minimum of 3 books and 5 magazines. Which drives my husband nutso. Actually, he bought me a tote bag and limited my reading material to what can fit in the bag. Its so tiny! A kindle is definitely on my wish list.
BookMePlease

Post by BookMePlease »

No way. Somehow I can't see curling up with a kindle on a rainy day, and the books are still too expensive.
juniper9

Post by juniper9 »

I've thought about getting one but the price is a little too steep for me. Also, buying new books for it at 9.99 isn't that bad but if I want to read an older book I might as while get it in paperback to save money. Lastly, I think I wouldn't enjoy using it as much as reading actual books.
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

I won't be picking one up anytime soon. One, it is over priced for simply a ebook reader, and two, it is proprietary so you can't get other products on it. The iPhone can now read Kindle books, and there is a new ereader coming out by Sony that can read ebooks, browse the internet, and even do email, etc. I imagine the next generation of smart phones/all-in-one devices will make the Kindle obsolete.
ferrdoggsmd

Post by ferrdoggsmd »

Mine is on the way, can't wait!!

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”