Kindle pros and cons

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Alekhya Katreddy
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alekhya-katreddy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Kindle pros and cons

Post by Alekhya Katreddy »

I'm an avid reader reading books ranging from 40-60 books per year. While I do read online books a lot, buying a kindle is a significant investment for me.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who own one already.
Do you ever regret getting a Kindle and which model can be considered the best value for money?
Cathryn Gorlinsky
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathryn-gorlinsky.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cathryn Gorlinsky »

I love my Kindle - I also use Libby to read e-books from the library on it, so I feel like I have a lot of selection without necessarily having to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited. My eyes feel less strained than when I use my phone or iPad to read.

I just updated to the Kindle Signature Paperwhite from a 2015 Kindle model. It feels good to hold, but for me a cover is a must. I would not recommend an Oasis, as the model is a bit older, has less storage, and costs more than the Paperwhite.

Amazon's trade-in program will give you a 20% discount on Kindles - I traded in a VERY old pair of Apple AirPods and was able to use the discount on a new device. If you don't mind waiting for Amazon to have a sale (we passed Prime Day, but maybe Black Friday will have some), then you can use the trade-in discount on top of the sale discount to cut the cost even more.

Note: the trade-in takes a few days of processing on Amazon's side, so I would do this ahead of time to have it ready to go.
mylittlehappynook
Favorite Book: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Currently Reading: Bright Triad (The Brightness Trilogy 1)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mylittlehappynook »

I am a big reader, and I also use Libby for books on my Kindle. I got the kindle paperwhite in the summer, and I have already read enough "free" books on Libby or through the temporary free kindle unlimited that it has saved me money. For context, I'm trying to read 100 books this year, but if your Libby has books you are interested in reading at a pace of 60 a year it would probably save you money too!
Postoak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Postoak »

I couldn't imagine a world without my kindle.

I have had several kindles over the years and each one seems to be better than the last. I currently have the paperwhite and love it. I'm looking at the scribe as it will be useful at work as well as recreational reading.

Invest in it. You won't regret it.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”