Kindle for Travel

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Kindle for Travel

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

So I used to be against getting a Kindle because I viewed that as "cheating" so to speak. However I travel a lot by plane and I love reading on my flights but I wind up having to lug around my books and the weight it puts on my carry on leaves me feeling exhausted and sore. So I got one this past Christmas and I think it's a good idea for travel. I don't know how to download books to it though can anyone tell me exactly how I go about that?
LitChick90
Currently Reading: Meaning of Truth
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litchick90.html
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LitChick90 »

Hello,

I don't know how much you know about Kindles already, so I'm starting from scratch. This is not because I think you're anything other than a novice, so I shall cover my bases. :)

So for Kindle, one must buy Kindle Edition ebooks on Amazon. Once buying the book, it will download to the Kindle Cloud reader. If you haven't already yet set up the Kindle, sign in on the Kindle with your amazon account and buy ebooks with that same account. Once it's in the Cloud, you can download straight onto the Kindle.

TIP: Make sure you've downloaded plenty of books before traveling. You need to link your Kindle to a WiFi spot to download. You can do it on your travels Provided you have a WiFi connection at your disposal.

Hope this helps!
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo
Muhammad Nadeem
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 456
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-nadeem.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Muhammad Nadeem »

You can also download books on your PC and then transfer to Kindle through data cable. I always carry my Kindle with me when I travel.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I want to say thank you to both of you this helped a lot! In the next two weeks I am going to be testing out the kindle for travel purposes.
Carolyn O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carolyn O »

Hubby got me a Kindle Fire HD10 for Christmas. Just got it linked on our wi-fi this week. Learning curve is really tricky when you have only used a simple flip Trac cell phone. I do know you are supposed to be able to email e-books to your kindle email account so you can get ebooks from other venues. That's about it. So far, all my ebooks are through Amazon since hubby's account is our only account with Amazon and PayPal.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I'm, also, thinking of buying a kindle paperwhite (especially for reading during commute to work and while travelling). Thanks for the solutions for transferring books.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I too used to feel like reading on my kindle was "cheating," but the convenience of having so many books on me at all times is very freeing. I also love that if you do a little bit of searching, you can sometimes find book titles for free!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I love my Kindle Fire because of the text to speech feature. When I go on long drives, I will turn on my books and just listen to them. It does get a little monotonous from time to time because the voice is very flat with little inflection, but that's why I also have Audible books where actual people narrate favorite books of mine.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

I wouldn't be without my Kindle. Especially for traveling, or reading in the doctor's waiting room, I feel that Kindle is the only way to go! I sometimes read on my phone, too, with the Kindle app. I don't really think it's cheating at all, because the authors know that it's free, but they want the coverage from many people reading their books.
alewis16
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alewis16 »

E-readers are so convenient! I loved having him while living overseas!

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”