Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Re: Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Post by Netvigator72 »

I have a kindle paper white and it has made reading so much easier since I never really have the time to buy paperback versions.
Dolphin21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dolphin21 »

Hello, I have the original Kindle and I have the Kindle 8. I love my kindle because the ebooks are cheaper and it is so convenient. Don't get me wrong I love physical books, but the kindle is easier. I can download several books and have enough books to read, especially in this time of being stuck at home. I recommend the kindle to everyone, you can download movies from Amazon prime, games... I LOVE MINE VERY MUCH!!!. 😍😍😍😍👌👌👌
Nessa_girl78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-girl78.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nessa_girl78 »

I am on my third Kindle Paperwhite and absolutely love it. It is very convenient for traveling in a car or on a plane, and also while I am laying in bed at night. Honestly, I love not having to get up and turn the light off when I am done reading! I also do still read physical books as well, mostly during the day while I am sitting on my couch relaxing. I believe that both serve a purpose in the right environment.
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

Thank you all for your given opinion. It has clarified a whole lot of queries I had about kindle. Now I have a clearer understanding. Thank you all.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Yes it is worth it if you want to travel and cannot bring many many books
Emelie Kelly
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emelie-kelly.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Emelie Kelly »

Although I love reading hardcopies, I live in a tiny home an i have to keep objects in my house as minimal as possible. A kindle helped me downscale my ever-growing bookcase. I enjoy keeping it in my bag as I go through my day, the accessibility is great. I would recommend the kindle paperwhite. :happy-sunny:
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

You know, it really depends on what kind of reader you are. In my experience with reading, I have met people who struggle to stick with the same book until it is completely finished and sometimes will have up to 6 books that are all half finished. If this seems like a dilemma you would find yourself in regularly this is a great reason to buy any sort of E-Reader. They allow you to access as many books as your storage will allow at the touch of a finger and can be accessed anywhere. It is also great for indecisive readers that want fast access to previews and do not want to stand in a bookstore all day to find the perfect book.
However, I personally have owned both physical books and ebooks and I tend to enjoy reading more when I have a physical copy of the book. There are negatives to having an E-Reader such as the battery dying or having to strain your eyes to read it in extreme lighting situations. The physical copy does not have a time limit until its next charge and can be a much more immersive experience of buying the book in-person, which I greatly enjoy.
I hope this helps from another person's perspective!
Monica461
Currently Reading:

Post by Monica461 »

On all honesty there are some pros and cons to buying a kindle. I think it just has to do with preference. Like all things it has it’s good and bad. For example I can really get into a physical book where as a kindle sometimes I feel that I am just reading things off online. You can write tons of notes on your physical book with sticky notes as much as you want. While the kindle does give you the freedom of highlighting a section that you just read. One thing I really like about the kindle is that you have access to tons of books with one tough of a finger where as a physical book you would have to do more work to get it. Like driving to a store just to obtain a copy or waiting days for the book to arrive to your door of purchased online. A kindle requires you to charge your device to enjoy it. So, I guess if you keep in mind that if you have it fully charged. You won’t come across any issues with it like it powering off on you while reading.
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

Honestly it depends how much digital reading you plan to do. I still prefer a physical book, but I'm on my 2nd kindle and it is great too. My parents first got me a touch when I was still at home because I just had too many books! It's a great way to keep some of your favorites handy for sure! I upgraded to the paperwhite about a year ago and I love it. It's simple and makes reading books easy. It has a soft glow to help with reading in low light. Having a kindle really allows you access to any book you want to read in a comfortable reading format rather than with the harsh light of a tablet or phone.
Ashlee Atkins
Favorite Book: Blindsided
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Ashlee Atkins »

Hi there!

I purchased my Kindle about a year and a half ago. I used to be a paper-only reader, but now I LOVE my Kindle! It's so nice to be able to take it anywhere because it is so compact and lightweight. I don't necessarily use the taking notes features but it sure does make reading easier for me.

It all really depends on personal preference. I think it is totally worth it! :)
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

Thanks so much for the update .your post has helped me to make a decision to get kindle.
Angie Lola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-lola.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Angie Lola »

Just got my Kindle 11th generation this year, I was stuck on hardcopy books but so far so good I'm loving using my kindle so convenient and the easy to use. I'd say it's worth it for one who wants to start now.
Awele Iroba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Awele Iroba »

Wow this is new to me and nice to know.
echogecko
Currently Reading: The Cellar
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by echogecko »

I would highly recommend a kindle paperwhite rather than reading on your phone or tablet. Overall, I prefer reading physical books, but the kindle paperwhite is really convenient and portable. While it is not exactly like reading on paper, it is very close. It does not feel like you are reading on a screen so it is very easy to read on without getting any eye strain. It also makes reading outside in the sunlight easy as well as reading in the dark.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

I enjoy my Kindle Fire. I received it as a Christmas gift- they are much more affordable than they used to be. I read a lot of e-books, especially from library apps like Libby and Hoopla as well as The Kindle Unlimited library, and I find it nice to read on something other than my phone at night. I use the blue-light filter and there are so many ways to change the appearance to suit your comfort.

I recommend e-readers to avid readers, especially if they find themselves distracted when they try to read on their phone (notifications, etc.) or other tablets.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”