On your Kindle, how many ebooks have you paid for that you have not even started reading yet?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.

On your Kindle, how many ebooks have you paid for that you have not even started reading yet?

0 books
14%
1-2 books
20%
3-5 books
20%
6-10 books
16%
11-20 books
7%
21-30 books
9%
31-40 books
2%
41-50 books
5%
51-60 books
No votes
61-100 books
No votes
Over 100 books
7%

Total votes: 44

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

For the purposes of this poll, do not consider or count free Kindle books at all.

I am curious how many people buy Kindle books in advance with intention to read them at some future date versus how many people generally only buy Kindle books once they are actually to start reading it.

In the old days, with paperback and hardcover, that one would have to buy from a store, it made sense to buy books you plan to read when you have a chance buy them even if won't be able to read them for a long time. It could make sense to stock up on paperback/hardcover books because then you would save yourself the trouble of going to the store each time you want a read a new book. Also, it is much more difficult to find the book you want to read from a physical store or library then to pull it up on a Kindle. On a Kindle, you can pull up any book you want from the Kindle Store in seconds with a few clicks.

The only two scenarios I see a benefit of pre-buying a book on Kindle is (1) if the book is on a temporary discount or (2) if you plan to not have internet access for a while and so you need to download the full book content in advance of any books you want to read.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Honestly, with the free books I get and Kindle unlimited, I hardly ever but books any more. I don't have time to read all the ones I have currently.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DawnZauner
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DawnZauner »

I rarely ever buy them because I have hundreds of free kindle books that I haven't even read. I'd rather spend $20 on a real book than $10 on an e-book because I don't want to stare at a screen long enough to read a book on it; and I'm a millennial.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think I got around 10 ebooks or so. I mostly buy discounted or free ebooks. I have a lot of paper books I bought and didn't get around to, though. If the ebook cost almost the same as the paper book, I prefer to buy the paper book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by melissah30 »

I had to look through and see what I had, and most of the books I bought that I haven't read are usually books mentioned in my classes that aren't *required* but my professors are like "if you get the chance you should read this". I mostly do it so I don't forget about the book.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Most of the books on my kindle are ones I found for free from multiple websites. I have slowed my book buying in the last year being that my tbr list is massive.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I almost always get carried away with the .99 pence deal on Amazon and end up buying too many to actually read. I have 32 books waiting for me.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Mackethan
Currently Reading: The Immune
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mackethan »

Most of my books are from kindle unlimited, those I have a full 10 books selected at any given time, while reading only 1. Any others I find go to my Kindle wishlist. Most not unlimited books, I've still gotten for free or very cheap, so not many that I've bought with money that I haven't read.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I have bought so many books for $1.99 or $0.99 because I love the author or the genre. Even loving to read, I don't know when I'll get to all of them....because I keep purchasing more- at those prices. On the positive side, I should never run out of books to read :) :)
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

Well....sadly with the free ebook opportunities that I get I don't do a lot of paid Kindle books. If I find a series and I love the first one then I'll binge the rest of the series after I buy them. I think I only have three right now that I paid for that I haven't read. Either I got halfway through and didn't enjoy them at all, or they were buried under freebies that I'm reviewing on GoodReads or for indie authors in my group.
ButterfliBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflibookworm.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by ButterfliBookworm »

I only have 4 or 5 purchased Kindle books that I haven't yet read. One I'm working through now (it's a skill-based metalworking book, about how to make lockets and boxes, so I'm working through it slowly). Another technically hasn't arrived yet, since I pre-purchased it before release (really hoping it will be the conclusion of the series because as much as I love the author and story it's starting to have some pacing problems as it continues). And the last 3 are the last part of a series which follows a free book I was given; the only reason I haven't started them yet is because I want to re-read the first so it's fresh in my mind before continuing the story.

Most of my ebooks I now get for free, thanks to a subscription which offers me books. Much like Rangerkay, if I find a series or author I love I'll buy more and then binge-read while they're still fresh in my mind.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I have used my Kindle for 2 years and a Nook previous to that. I have never purchased a book. There are so many that are free! And then I found this website so I always have plenty to read!
EllaWrite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by EllaWrite »

I find that I use my kindle to buy books that I've been recommended and so tend to buy them whilst I remember and then get round to reading them at a later date - usually the delay is to finish my current book.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Buying books is kind of an obsession for me. I have quite a few Kindle (and not to mention traditional) books that I have yet to read!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

When I want to read a book I don't play around! And if I'm going to spend my hard-earned money on it, I'm going to read it soon without a doubt! If I was "eh" about the book I simply wouldn't buy it until excited enough.

$1 books don't count [I'm looking at you, BOTM]. :wink:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”