What common formats does Kindle support?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

What common formats does Kindle support?

Post by Scott »

I just found out that Kindle doesn't support the EPUB format for ebooks. This is shocking to me. So what format does it support? What format do you Kindle owners usually use for ebooks that you do not buy directly from Amazon, e.g. that you download off a different website, get from the library or have emailed to you by a friend, and so forth?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Christine80
Currently Reading: A Storm Of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine80 »

You can change the format of a book with a library manager. I use Calibre. It is very easy to use. I usually just change my books to MOBI.
zola

Post by zola »

the file format supported by Kindle Fire support:
Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

I can't say anything about all those formats but I've found that PDF doesn't really work unless it's been specifically designed for kindle use. Other than that I do what Christine80 does: convert them to MOBI using Callibre. It works really well, too.
zola

Post by zola »

how about playing flash file on Kindle Fire? So the answer is after you use your Kindle Fire Silk browse try the wen site, if it is ok, then it's ok. If it crashes or breeze when playing, we can't impute all the responsibility to Amazon Kindle Fire as Android devices is making effort to fully support flash constantly. YouTube didn't show a claim to cooperate with Amazon like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, so to play flash on Kindle Fire is not a completely solved thing so far.

If you are a loyal flash movie fans and much hope to play flash videos on Kindle Fire but meet above problem, you may need to use a program which can convert flash FLV, F4V(Adobe released F4V video format after FLV which is a kind of high definition video encoded in H.264, i.e. YouTube) to Kindle Fire Mp4 directly with good quality. This is only suitable for guys hate troublesome, just want flash played on Fire, and, in good quality. May someday all kinds web site will offer all kinds of plugs or tool, this keep unknown so far.

Now google search for the doremisoft flash for kindle fire.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I'm not sure. I'll try to look into it.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

I normally convert epub books to mobi format on convertfiles.com website. (Only works on books without drm)
For other formats like html, pdf or word, I email them to my kindle using my @kindlefree.com email address and put the word 'convert' in the subject bar. This way they get converted to kindle format for free.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

Thank you. I have been wondering too.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

I keep running into folks having trouble with getting MOBI to work on Kindle, so I thought I'd mention for folks who don't know, that if you use the mail to kindle option and type CONVERT in the subject field, you won't have to go through any gymnastics with cables or moving the file from documents to books. It will just behave like a normal book.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

I have a kindle but I'm not sure if it's a kindle 1, 2, or what. I think it's the very first one that came out. You have to press the buttons on the side to turn pages and there is no physical keyboard. I have only downloaded books from Amazon; I didn't know toy could get them any other way (silly me). I don't know a thing about formats so any information is helpful :-)
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

PDF is a pain on Kindle!
You can also send an email to your Kindle with a .doc attachment and it works fine. I prefer that to PDFs, actually.
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lily Ahulu »

this should be interesting. I just click download and I have my book. I have no idea which format it is.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Am looking forward to the answers here. Am new but planning to buy kindle

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”