Black History Month Recommendations (Feb '23)

For February 2023, we will be reading books that celebrate Black History Month.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Black History Month Recommendations (Feb '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Do you have any recommendations for books to read for this month's genre discussion - Celebrating Black History Month?
Black History Month (also known as African American Month) is an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in U.S. history.
Here are some helpful links to decide what book you might want to read: Do you have any suggestions?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and absolutely loved it! It is young adult and was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. I actually plan on rereading this at some point. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just read Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry, and it was so very sweet. If you enjoy children's book, I would highly recommend this one!
Heidi

Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Afeni Shakur: Evolution of A Revolutionary by Jasmine Guy
RIP... For those who don't know, she is Tupac's momma. This amazing woman def. needs more recognition. You can learn the history of Black Panther Party following her journey.

The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leaders by John Potash
Another Tupac-related book. His family was deeply involved with the movement. As the title says, you can also read on Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Bob Marley, et al.

Nella Larsen: Novelist of Harlem Renaissance by Thadious M. Davis
Some of yall may have heard about the film Passing. It's based on thee most famous work of hers.
If you enjoyed the movie/novel, you might wanna explore the exciting period of Harlem renaissance. Of course, this book is mostly about her life as a person and an author, not just about that specific history.

Heidi M Simone wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 22:06 I just read Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry, and it was so very sweet. If you enjoy children's book, I would highly recommend this one!
I too enjoyed the book thoroughly! Do you know there's a short animation with the same title? If you haven't seen it, go check it out! 8-)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Helga_ wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 06:43 Afeni Shakur: Evolution of A Revolutionary by Jasmine Guy
RIP... For those who don't know, she is Tupac's momma. This amazing woman def. needs more recognition. You can learn the history of Black Panther Party following her journey.

Another Tupac-related book. His family was deeply involved with the movement. As the title says, you can also read on Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Bob Marley, et al.

Some of yall may have heard about the film Passing. It's based on thee most famous work of hers.
If you enjoyed the movie/novel, you might wanna explore the exciting period of Harlem renaissance. Of course, this book is mostly about her life as a person and an author, not just about that specific history.
These are all very interesting! I'm really curious about The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leader. Though I didn't quickly find it at my library. :eusa-think:

So it's strange, I've never heard of Passing. Looks like it's a book, as well. Have you read the book? I requested it from my library. The premise sounds very interesting, and I'm excited to read and watch the movie!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendations! They seem like really good ones. :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Helga_ wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 06:43
Heidi M Simone wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 22:06 I just read Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry, and it was so very sweet. If you enjoy children's book, I would highly recommend this one!
I too enjoyed the book thoroughly! Do you know there's a short animation with the same title? If you haven't seen it, go check it out! 8-)
I did not know there was a short animation. I will definitely check it out!

I'm planning on reading a few children's books that focuses on celebrating Black History Month with my toddler. Obviously, he won't understand the significance of it until he's older, but there are many sweet books that feature children and families of color that I would like to read some with him. We happen to own this book, and will read it with him after Valentine's Day, so I'm going to check out the short animation and maybe he can watch that, too!

Thank you for letting me know! :)

I got Mae Among the Stars by Roda Ahmed, too. Have you read this one? It looks very sweet and worthwhile, too.
Heidi

Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 15:49
Helga_ wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 06:43 Afeni Shakur: Evolution of A Revolutionary by Jasmine Guy

These are all very interesting! I'm really curious about The FBI War on Tupac Shakur and Black Leader. Though I didn't quickly find it at my library. :eusa-think:

So it's strange, I've never heard of Passing. Looks like it's a book, as well. Have you read the book? I requested it from my library. The premise sounds very interesting, and I'm excited to read and watch the movie!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendations! They seem like really good ones. :)
Yeah, I've read Passing. One of the most famous novels representing the Harlem Renaissance.
The movie version came out just a few years ago. I recommend reading the book before watching the movie!
Mary Bircher
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: I'll Stop the World
Bookshelf Size: 732
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-bircher.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mary Bircher »

When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Helga_ wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 06:35
Heidi M Simone wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 15:49

Yeah, I've read Passing. One of the most famous novels representing the Harlem Renaissance.
The movie version came out just a few years ago. I recommend reading the book before watching the movie!
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll make sure to read Passing before watching the movie. :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Mary Bircher wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 18:02 When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole!
Another book I haven't heard of! Thank you for the recommendation! :tiphat:
Heidi

Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

I usually don't like reading books that are required readings for school, but one I enjoyed was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. She had developed cervical cancer in the 1950s, and went to a free clinic for colored people and people who couldn't afford treatment. I found it eye-opening to the differences in medical treatment of people based on race and class, as well as how far the ethics of the health field have come. Henrietta Lacks's cancer cells were harvested and used for research without her consent. Her cells are still used today, I actually used them in my biology class. This book does get technical occasionally with the science and biology, but it's told more as a biography of Henrietta mixed with a memoir of the author's journey in gathering information.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Melissa Katherine wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 10:10 I usually don't like reading books that are required readings for school, but one I enjoyed was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. She had developed cervical cancer in the 1950s, and went to a free clinic for colored people and people who couldn't afford treatment. I found it eye-opening to the differences in medical treatment of people based on race and class, as well as how far the ethics of the health field have come. Henrietta Lacks's cancer cells were harvested and used for research without her consent. Her cells are still used today, I actually used them in my biology class. This book does get technical occasionally with the science and biology, but it's told more as a biography of Henrietta mixed with a memoir of the author's journey in gathering information.
Thank you for the recommendation!

I read this with my best friend, as a buddy read, a few years ago. My opinions were very similar to yours. It was eye-opening, and so insane to me that her cancer cells were harvested and used for research without consent. When it came to light, I don't remember, but didn't the family not receive any compensation afterwards?

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing that you used her cells in your biology class!
Heidi

Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 20:57
Melissa Katherine wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 10:10 I usually don't like reading books that are required readings for school, but one I enjoyed was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. She had developed cervical cancer in the 1950s, and went to a free clinic for colored people and people who couldn't afford treatment. I found it eye-opening to the differences in medical treatment of people based on race and class, as well as how far the ethics of the health field have come. Henrietta Lacks's cancer cells were harvested and used for research without her consent. Her cells are still used today, I actually used them in my biology class. This book does get technical occasionally with the science and biology, but it's told more as a biography of Henrietta mixed with a memoir of the author's journey in gathering information.

I read this with my best friend, as a buddy read, a few years ago. My opinions were very similar to yours. It was eye-opening, and so insane to me that her cancer cells were harvested and used for research without consent. When it came to light, I don't remember, but didn't the family not receive any compensation afterwards?

Right! They still have not received any compensation. Part of the author's reasoning for writing the book was to hopefully get compensation for Henrietta's family, but they still haven't. It's awful that Henrietta and her family weren't able to gain anything from Henrietta's mistreatment, but at least what happened to her lead to laws about research and medical treatment so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Melissa Katherine wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 11:28
Heidi M Simone wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 20:57

Right! They still have not received any compensation. Part of the author's reasoning for writing the book was to hopefully get compensation for Henrietta's family, but they still haven't. It's awful that Henrietta and her family weren't able to gain anything from Henrietta's mistreatment, but at least what happened to her lead to laws about research and medical treatment so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
It's so insane to me that people were able to get away with something like that. I agree, at least it led to laws about research and medical treatment, so it wouldn't happen again. I'm glad the author took the time to tell Henrietta's story.
Heidi

Return to “February 2023 Genre Discussion”