Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This book talks about the war between two Kingdoms, Argent, and Henge. The story is interesting, and the characters are well-developed. The book cover also fit perfectly with the book. I will rate this book five out of five stars. I will recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi books.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This book is interesting and intriguing. I love reading it and enjoyed the plot twists. However some parts were too fictional. For example how could Delvin have been accused to kill Borlock without not knowing of what happened. It confused me as well. generally it is a good book.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I finished this book at to me it's a 3 out of 5 stars. The cover and the title are good and appealing. The black magician is a great villain. I loved how terrifying he was. I liked the story but not enough to read the sequel. I think some characters need to be further developed, especially in the dialogues. There were also a few punctuation errors and typos.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

It was very easy for me to gain full interest in this book because I have always loved anything that is out of the ordinary. The suspense in was mind-blowing as it left me asking curious questions and seeking answers relentlessly.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I enjoyed Delvin's personality the most in this fantasy book. He was greatly surrounded by royalty, and I loved his sarcastic remarks and antiques like the coffin scheme. I also thought it was funny how he didn't want to share his coins because Jarla was a princess she could afford it. I love Freda the rabbit being brought along and used in key parts of the story. Overall I loved reading this book. I thought the cover matched nicely with the story and I think the newer title is better than the original.
Heather George Myers
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-george-myers.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Heather George Myers »

I'm only about a third of the way through this book and I am really enjoying it so far.
I can't wait to finish it and find out what happens.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Reading the reviews of this book would make anyone who's not read it rush to get it and I can tell you I was not disappointed. Everything was close to perfect. My favorite character was Freda.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This book is interesting. Most of its characters were well-developed. The book was thrilling and suspenseful. The author's writing style was also conversational. Readers of fiction would enjoy reading it.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

It was an interesting book and I enjoyed reading it. I loved everything about the book. From the well-developed characters to the plot of the book. The only negative thing about this book is the errors in it. This was the only thing I disliked about the book.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I had previously reviewed this book and found I really enjoyed it. The fantasy world of magic and strange lands and customs are all appealing and I really hope to be able to read the following books in the trilogy. I enjoyed the flow of the writing and the followed the story effortlessly. I did dislike the class divide that was depicted, although the other wrote this so well. The cover is also appealing and drew me in.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I think I enjoyed reading about the war. Moreover the author is very descriptive and I was curious to keep reading. I like the way the character Delvin is too. May have had his fair share of experiments but I enjoy their encouragement. Overall, this is a good book.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I read this book a few months ago, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the overall plot and felt connected to Delvin, I felt it lacked depth both in character development and backstory. Each character was individually interesting, and added nice dimension to the story, but their relationships were fairly drab. I kept wanting friendships to develop, or change throughout the book. Instead, once they were established, it felt like each character and relationship just remained stagnant. I also felt that while Delvin was a fun main character, he was ultimately boring and predictable. I want more from a protagonist! Ultimately I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think this book is a 4 out of 5 for me. I liked it, and the typos were minimal, not affecting to the reading. I think the main reason because I don't give a perfect 5 stars is because I expected too much, I had so much hype for this book, that at the end I felt maybe a bit disappointed. I almost had the sensation that Townsend had in mind to make a book much longer, but then though he could finish this one bit more "suddenly" and divide the story in few fascicles.
Kelly Kousouli
Currently Reading: Always Strive to Be a Better You
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-kousouli.html
Latest Review: Canaries Among Us by Kayla Taylor

Post by Kelly Kousouli »

Having a catchy title The Magician’s Secret, I purchased the book the same day I saw it on display. My hunch wasn’t wrong after all. I had a great time reading it. I even caught myself laughing at times with Dalvin’s teasing tricks to his friend Greg. Dalvin's adventures throughout his journey were the best. The least I liked was Jarla’s cruel actions. I found them too violent for a girl, and especially for a Princess.

The text was easy to follow through, and very captivating. The greatest lesson I got from this book is: “Never reveal all your cards from the beginning. Always keep an Ace up your sleeve.”

I recommend this book for all ages, as it combines mystery and adventure. It is also well written, so for this, rating it with a 5 out of 5 stars. I am waiting with anticipation for Charles Townsend's next book.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

I think The Magician Secret is an amazingly gripping fantasy with a well patterned plot and characterization. My favorite characters are Delvin and Borlock, and I would like to read more about them. I would rate this novel four of five stars. A point is deducted due to my personal reservations. And yeah, I would recommend it to others because I believe it is well written.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”