Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
croquetmagic
Book of the Month Participant
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by croquetmagic »

In answer to Jack King's post. Book 2, The Three Card Trick, and book 3, The Magic Lantern, are available on Amazon. At the moment all three are discounted.
croquetmagic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by croquetmagic »

In answer to Jack King's post. Book 2, The Three Card Trick, and book 3, The Magic Lantern, are available on Amazon. At the moment all three are discounted.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I took this from the review I wrote about this book that explains how I felt about it:

This fantasy novel started with a bang and kept the sparks flying throughout the whole book. There weren’t any dull moments, and the story flowed swiftly and smoothly while keeping me intrigued throughout. The chapters were short, and that heightened my enjoyment of the book and added to its flow. I did pick up a few minor mistakes, but it didn’t take away any of my enjoyment of this story. For the number of mistakes I did find, though, I subtracted a star. Overall, this book was an absolute blast to read!

I give The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This book was packed with action from the start, as mentioned above, and the whole story stayed alive throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed Charles' writing and the way he managed the dialogues of the characters. It was very easy to connect with each character and to follow the magic and magic tricks mentioned in this book.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I enjoyed reading the book but was disappointed with the number of errors in it. It was obvious that it had not been professionally edited. Having said this, if this book had not been the BOTM, I would not have read it because parts of it were unrealistic (not uncommon in a fantasy book), and the plot moved slowed. I saw no reason to give this book less than 4 out of 5 stars. One star was deducted for the plethora of errors in this book.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

This book blew me away with its intricate plot, unexpected twists, and well-developed characters. The story had me hooked from start to finish, and I couldn't put it down. The plot's pacing was perfect, with just the right amount of tension and suspense to keep me interested in the story. I'll give it my full rating.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I really enjoyed the book. My daughter-in-law just bought a copy and can't put it down. My favorite character is Freda the rabbit.
The author has a great style and the words flow so well it carries you away.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I enjoyed rereading this book after finishing it in December, so I'm glad to see it on the BOTM forum. This novel, in my opinion, is a fantastic fantasy full of amazing adventures, and Delvin and his rabbit Freda have now joined the ranks of my favorite characters. I had to reduce one point from this book's rating in my review at the time owing to the typos and errors. Although, in terms of story and narration this deserves all five stars!
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Before I began reading the book, I read about the author’s statement about this being his second attempt to writing the story, having undergone through a series of edits and title change
Having said that, I think it was necessary for him to reconsider publishing this book. The storyline is more authentic and sophisticated in numerous ways. He managed to develop an interesting concept that is engaging.

The Magician’s Secret by Charles Townsend is a marvelous piece of literature, and one to be considered as worth a read.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

I found it to be a nice book as far as the plot and setting of the story are concerned. I noticed quite an amazing character development, especially for the main character, Delvin, and loved the mysteries in it. However, I'll give the book a 3/4 because of its substantial number of errors.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 23:48 I found 7 errors in the book, and they were mainly typographical. I think I would award it a perfect score. I think it would be a good book for young readres (6th grade and above) because of lack of profanity and sexual scenes. The magic was a bit less than what I thought it would be. I believe this could easily be a series. I was disappointed with how Jarla and Fionella treated Delvin in the end of the story though.
I ended up rating the book 4 out of 5 stars based on the lack of information given about the characters.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

I think a major point to note would be that I enjoyed the fantasy aspect of this book. I'm a huge fan of fantasy books and this one is filled with a lot of magical adventures. I will give this book the same rating as did the reviewer five out of five.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I already had a perception of this book before buying it. Yeah, I can be like that. I was hoping to see a lot of magic and wand waving and all. There was magic alright, but the author did something I found interesting. The focus of the book was not on magic but on the individuals that had to do what they could in the face of the circumstances they found themselves. That for me made me like the book.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I enjoyed and liked a lot about this book. The characters were beautiful, and they allowed for healthy interactions throughout the book. The plot was well organized. The only thing I didn't like about this book was the errors in it. Apart from it, every other thing about the book was beautiful.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I was easily hooked into this magical adventure. I loved the bond between Delvin and his rabbit, Freda. And I also loved how Karla was portrayed. I gave the book a full rating of five out of five stars. The cover made me curious and compelling to pick the book up.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 01:39 I read the sample provided in the BOTD link. After reading 4 chapters, I was curious to know how Delvin does as a new magician in a new city. The mystery of who killed Borlock and why, what was the secret belonging that Borlock wanted to pass on to Delvin, and why was it so special that someone would want to kill Borlock for it? All these questions made me want to get the book and start reading. So, yesterday I did. I haven't finished the book yet. But I will soon, and then leave a detailed opinion about it.
Me too, the mystery really does spark a persons curiousity to want to read the book. I just recently started reading it.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”