Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jerry Spencer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Would have to go through it again to give it a proper rating. Anyway, the characterization was great. The story was produced on an outstanding plot and is well-written. I hope to indulge in the adventure maximally.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

When I first saw this book, I figured it'd be similar to the Merlin and Harry Potter series. And yes, the magic and fantasy bits were great. However, I had a small issue with the protagonist (young Magician). So, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Jerry Spencer wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 17:55 Would have to go through it again to give it a proper rating. Anyway, the characterization was great. The story was produced on an outstanding plot and is well-written. I hope to indulge in the adventure maximally.
It would not be great to give a rating if a book is not thoroughly read. I appreciate your honesty. I'd love to know what you think of the installment.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Fawmi Jumana wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 06:11 I was easily hooked into this magical adventure. I loved the bond between Delvin and his rabbit, Freda. And I also loved how Karla was portrayed. I gave the book a full rating of five out of five stars. The cover made me curious and compelling to pick the book up.
The author knows his way around magic stuff. The adventure was fulfilling; it was more like a milder version of Harry Potter.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Chimomaebuka Ejimchi wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 02:47 I enjoyed and liked a lot about this book. The characters were beautiful, and they allowed for healthy interactions throughout the book. The plot was well organized. The only thing I didn't like about this book was the errors in it. Apart from it, every other thing about the book was beautiful.
Even before I read the book, its brief description had an error. So, the errors I encountered were not really surprising. I agree, the characters were relatable in their own way.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Zee_Zee wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 05:33 I already had a perception of this book before buying it. Yeah, I can be like that. I was hoping to see a lot of magic and wand waving and all. There was magic alright, but the author did something I found interesting. The focus of the book was not on magic but on the individuals that had to do what they could in the face of the circumstances they found themselves. That for me made me like the book.
I concur that the book was more character-driven than genre-driven. As much as there was magic, the adventure made the installment remarkable.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Joule Mwendwa wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 13:28 I found it to be a nice book as far as the plot and setting of the story are concerned. I noticed quite an amazing character development, especially for the main character, Delvin, and loved the mysteries in it. However, I'll give the book a 3/4 because of its substantial number of errors.
I guess each reader has specific preferences. While some may want to explore adventures, other desire to have a brief outlook of the characters' backgrounds. I love how everyone looks for something specific in an installment.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Being new to the concept of magic, I think Delvin did a reasonable job. However, he underwent development, I hoped he would carry the hero trophy by the end of the installment. Maybe, he does in the next installments. Therefore, I can give him a vote of confidence, owing a better development to the sequel.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Roderick Voss wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 20:39 This book blew me away with its intricate plot, unexpected twists, and well-developed characters. The story had me hooked from start to finish, and I couldn't put it down. The plot's pacing was perfect, with just the right amount of tension and suspense to keep me interested in the story. I'll give it my full rating.
For a reader looking for a read to give them the right needed thrills, this book is a great choice. The happenings involving Princess Jarla and Delvin were great and full of twists.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Something worth mentioning is some intricate words, possibly given the genre or otherwise. I found that a wonder addition. It was wonderful learning new words, even though at the expense of stopping along the way and looking for their meanings. A wonderful addition!
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

I really enjoyed The Magician's Secret ! I find adventure books to be nice, pleasant reads. I thought the fast-paced plot kept me intrigued, and the constant movement of the scenes kept me on my toes. I particularly liked the cute little scenes with Freda the rabbit; it just seemed like a nice side addition.

As for the characters, I found Delvin to be an amusing little troublemaker. He really just seems like he's along for the ride, and his petty acts of rebellion had me giggling. I really, really did not like Princess Jarla though! I kept trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but by the end of the book I still couldn't stand her. I understand wanting to write strong female characters, but she just came off as bossy and mean. I also feel like the interactions between Jarla, Delvin, and Grimboldt make up a majority of the important parts of the book. The other characters felt quite forgettable.

I really wanted to give this book five stars, but I have to rate it four out of five stars. There were too many formatting errors, and it just drove me crazy. I really liked the plot, and I liked the way the characters were depicted. Aside from the formatting errors, I have no complaints and am looking forward to reading the next one! :D
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I read the book and pretty much enjoyed the whole of it. I loved the characters and how fast-paced the story was. The book undoubtedly deserves a rating of 5 out of 5.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

NicRoy wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 09:54
Zee_Zee wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 05:33 I already had a perception of this book before buying it. Yeah, I can be like that. I was hoping to see a lot of magic and wand waving and all. There was magic alright, but the author did something I found interesting. The focus of the book was not on magic but on the individuals that had to do what they could in the face of the circumstances they found themselves. That for me made me like the book.
I concur that the book was more character-driven than genre-driven. As much as there was magic, the adventure made the installment remarkable.
Exactly. It's rare to see authors who pull off these things, especially when there are established storylines that could drive the magic plot.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This book is a page-turner fantasy thriller. The cover was professionally done, it has a sophiscated catch look making one want to read it. Devin's character started out very humble, would have loved to see him do greater things as a magician. There are some part's that are too fictional, to be believed. But overall, I enjoyed reading the book. This book is best suited for all ages.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

One thing I can confidently say about this book is that it is not boring. It was well written and contained mysteries and magic. I enjoyed the book when I read it and I say it deserves all the accolades it can get.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”