Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I was almost convinced that magic existed after reading this book. Princess Jarla was my favorite character because of her determination. I discovered numerous errors, which was the book's sole flaw, thus I gave it three out of four stars. The title is fascinating, making the reader want to know what the mystery is, and the cover is appealing. This book taught me never to pass judgment on someone before learning more about them.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I believe The Magician’s secret to be top notch. The author really did his best. It’s been a while I read it and I’ll say, I read it to the very last page because I was so curious to know what will later happen. I’ll always give it a rating of 5 stars. Though some parts of the book feels rushed, it’s still one of the best books I’ve read.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It is safe to conclude that this book, based on the sample I read, is an engaging read full of fantasy and magical adventure. Delvin struck me as being a rather fascinating character. I am really eager to read this book.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

I think the book was quite the amazing read. It made sure readers git deeply rooted in the aim of the story so as to remember it for a long time.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

I was interested to learn how Delvin fared as a new magician in a new city after reading the chapters. What was the secret item that Borlock wanted to give to Delvin, and why was it so special that someone would want to kill Borlock for it? Who killed Borlock and why? I was motivated to buy the book and start reading because of all of these inquiries. I did it yesterday. The novel is still unfinished for me. But when I do, I will leave a thorough review of my thoughts.
Monica Smith
Currently Reading: Blood of the Exiled
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-smith.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Monica Smith »

I thought that the story was cute, but lacking in depth. Delvin wanders around happily taking orders from all and sundry. Why he would cooperate with all these shenanigans is beyond me, and isn't explained to my satisfaction in the book. I did enjoy Freda, the rabbit, as an amusing aside in the tale. I hope that the characters are better developed in the next books, as I found them two-dimensional. This is not a bad book, but it isn't a great book either.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

I was able to become engrossed in the book fairly quickly. I enjoy reading any novel with magic in it. The Dalvin character was also really charming and endearing to me. I admired aspects of him, like his humor and love of animals. The book's cover was another thing I adored. It seems tidy and exudes mystery.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

The book started with the hook of the plot 'Murder' which will capture the reader's attention who loves thrillers and suspense. Usually, there are realistic plots in fantasy books despite being fantasy books, but this book lacks that. Although, hats off to the author for the character's development and connection to each character throughout the book.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The book is a fantasy story that raises interesting concerns about what magic is all about. I liked how it looked at magic in various contexts. Is magic a supernatural ability or a creative illusion? It also investigates ethical questions regarding using magic as a tool for manipulation. Because of these speculations, the title is fitting. A more vivid depiction of the physical characteristics of the characters would enhance the reading experience. The fast-paced adventure, mystery, wit, humor, and thought-provoking insights will appeal to fantasy and magic fans. However, I am deducting a star due to editing issues.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

In general I enjoyed reading the book. The author made it fast paced and captivating. There are enough descriptions in the story for us to imagine the scenes. I liked the mix of mystery, adventure and historical fiction.
However the main character, Delvin, is too easy-going and most of the times, he responds to situations happening to him rather than being the cause of things happening. He got his magic by accident, figured it out by accident and all along it felt like a series of accident as if, he didn't have a real purpose. He embarked into this adventure because Jarla forced him into it...
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was full of fantasy and adventure. I love everything about it, and there is nothing I dislike about it. I love the character Delvin and Jarla. The cover and title suited the story.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

What I liked most about this book was the adventure. Especially the parts about Delvin and Princess Jarla. I also found the book's plot intriguing. However, I didn't like that Delvin faced challenges all through the book, and he didn't have a moment of respite, even a reward for his troubles.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Thera reads »

After reading other reviews, I feel that this book is worthy of a full rating. I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars based off what I read from other reviews.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

Yes, I would tell others to read this book. I'll make another remark on the remaining portions after I get time to read more of it. The cover held a lot of interest. I needed some time to consider it. but found that I liked it. Rating it a full star is not bad.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I would like to see more challenges and wholehearted scenes in this book. Overall it might be an interesting story for teens and maybe elders too. Delvin is an interesting character and I can remember a lot of plots like this.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”