Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2023 Book of the month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

Having read this book already last December, I am very happy to reunite with this book now on the BOTM forum. In my view, this book is a great fantasy full of magical adventures, and Delvin with his rabbit Freda have joined the league of my favourite characters. Very reluctantly, due to the typographical errors, I had to deduct one star and rate this book 3 out of 4 stars in my review at the time (4 out of 5 stars under the current system). I really wish I could give all five stars to this adorable fantasy thriller!
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Though I am no fan of fantasy, this one starts at such a fast pace that it was simply impossible for me to stop reading. The style is compelling, and the characters are well-drawn, although not described physically. However, the plot is really interesting and apart from the typos, everything is great!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’ve read some of this and I’m not really impressed. Things seem to happen very easily for Delvin and that’s not anywhere near realistic.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I read the sample provided in the BOTD link. After reading 4 chapters, I was curious to know how Delvin does as a new magician in a new city. The mystery of who killed Borlock and why, what was the secret belonging that Borlock wanted to pass on to Delvin, and why was it so special that someone would want to kill Borlock for it? All these questions made me want to get the book and start reading. So, yesterday I did. I haven't finished the book yet. But I will soon, and then leave a detailed opinion about it.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It is about the war between two Kingdoms, Argent, and Hengel. I found exciting about Delvin's adventure together with the Duke and Princesses. His magic helped them to surpass their journey despite the difficulties, especially in getting Princess Fionella into the hands of the cruel Duke. I found this book thrilling and suspenseful. I rate it 5 out of 5. I'm looking forward to another book by Charles Townsend.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

From the sample I read of this book, it is safe to say that it is quite an interesting read full of fantasy and magical adventure. I found Delvin to be quite an interesting character. I really can’t wait to get this book.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

I've read few the first couple of chapters, wanting to know what happens to Delvin in the rest of the book and what happened to Borlock is keeping me interested and wanting to come back and continue reading. I am near the end of the book I am reviewing and will get back to this one as soon as that one is finished. I looks like this is the first in a series as well so interesting to see how the series continues and if the mystery of Borlock's death is resolved in this book.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I have been able to read the sample chapters so far and have loved them. I am hoping to get the money to get the book and finish reading the rest of it. I love fantasy and books with animals. Rabbits are one of my favorites!!
Yes I would recommend this book to others. When I can read more of it, I will give another comment on the rest of it.
The cover was quite intriguing. I had to look at it for some time. But actually liked it.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I really enjoyed this book and gave it a 3 out of 4 stars rating back in November. The magic was something different and unique, I loved Princess Jarla's personality and how she took charge and basically kidnapped Delvin. Delvin and Jarla go on an adventure to try and save her kingdom.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Christell Lindeque wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 11:41 I really enjoyed this book and gave it a 3 out of 4 stars rating back in November. The magic was something different and unique, I loved Princess Jarla's personality and how she took charge and basically kidnapped Delvin. Delvin and Jarla go on an adventure to try and save her kingdom.
I’m struggling to find any more information online, the book is the first in a series but I can’t see if there are anymore yet or planned, do you know if there is?
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

It was very easy for me to get hooked on the book. I like to read any book that involves magic. Also, I found the character of Dalvin very entertaining and dear. His love for animals and funny side were traits that I loved about him. I also really liked the book's cover. It has a mysterious vibe and a neat look.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I love that this book was intriguing and engaging. The plot was filled with twists. I didn't like the fact that Delvin was accused of eliminating Borlock, someone he saw as a mentor. The author's writing style was good. A bit of storytelling was incorporated into this plot. Readers of fiction books would love to read this book.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

This book has a lot of positive aspects at the time I came across it. However, it had errors that affected my enjoyment. I'm big on professional editing. That aside, I enjoyed the characters, plot and storyline of the book. Safe to say I would recommend it to fantasy lovers like me.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I reviewed this book last month and gave it 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the character development. Delvin started off meek but grew into an impressive guy by the end of the book. Princess Jarla is a complicated character, and she, too, learned some lessons along the way. I was hoping there would be more of Delvin's magician story, but it ended up being so much more about warring towns. I hope that the next in the series has more of Delvin's own story. I think the book suits readers of all levels, as there is no swearing, well, the made-up word 'sheff's' appears a lot, but it doesn't sound like profanity.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”