Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

This book was so filled with adventure that it was almost impossible to stop reading. Plot-wise, this was brilliantly written to keep the readers engaged. The characters were relatable, and the scenes flowed well throughout the plot. I rated this book in my review 5 out of 5 stars.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

This is an interesting novel and I loved the narrative of the author in this novel, the adventure that befall the Delvin. I also appreciate the bond between Delvin and his mentor Borlock. It's quite an amazing novel and deserve a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
Natasha Kim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

I just finished reading this masterpiece. I really enjoyed this book, it's magical. My favourite characters are Princess Jarla and Delvin, they're incredible and make a great team. I enjoyed the adventurous journey. It's an impeccable read.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This book is my favorite one to this day. The major reason for this is the book's simplicity. There's a saying that great people do simple (or ordinary) things in a great (or extraordinary) way, and I believe this is what Townsend did with this book. Another feature that fascinated me about this piece is the expert plotting and great character depth given to its characters. I liked the title, and I believe it was befitting of the book because it was the Magicians' Secret that brought the chaos thereby creating the need for a solution to be found to restore the order of things. The genres incorporated into the book included mystery, adventure, science fiction, and thriller. The greatest lesson I picked from the story was that whatever gifts that might be bestowed on us, we should use them for a good cause just as Delvin Farmhand did, as opposed to the villainous magicians who used it for oppression. The only flaw I observed were the missing commas, although these are subjective. My rating of the book was/is 4 out of 4 / 5 out of 5.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

The book was quite an interesting one. I wasn't bored at any point, and as such it is appropriate to give it a rating of five out of five stars.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I would definitely rate this book to be perfect because everything seemed perfect and organised from my own jurisdiction and I believe the author did a good job in this book.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Amy Luman wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 16:32 I’ve read some of this and I’m not really impressed. Things seem to happen very easily for Delvin and that’s not anywhere near realistic.
I thought it was just me! I felt the same. I couldn't really get into it because of this. I had a few too many eye-rolling moments while reading.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

The book is of the fantasy genre. When Jarla was introduced, I thought of her as an alien because I couldn't fathom the fingernails concept. The writing style was a bit confusing at first because of the language used.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I've seen some reviews of the book, which were mostly positive. I got the book, read it, and I'm glad to state that it deserves a 5 star rating.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I thought the book was interesting. I loved the word choice the author, Townsend, used to describe everything. I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars due to the mysterious plot, relatable characters, and adventure.
Angela Lammott
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-lammott.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Angela Lammott »

I have to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars even with the 10+ grammatical errors I recognized. Those errors did not take away from the awesome experience I had reading this book. I am not submitting a formal review for this one. I read this book just for fun. I was caught up in this tale from the very beginning with Delvin being accused of murdering his mentor, Borlock. Then I had to find out if Delvin would be found guilty or innocent. Next, I had to know what the secret item was that Delvin inherited from Borlock. I truly could not put this book down for days. It kept my attention and kept me guessing until the very end. What I liked most was that there was just enough magic. Most of the tricks were executed by sleight of hand. Delvin learned practical strategies from Borlock, such as the art of diversion. I do not wish to give spoilers so I will not tell what the secret object Delvin inherited is nor how the magic is used in the story. What I liked least is magic or power being used unfairly. I think the title and the cover are perfect. I would say this is a book of Fiction that includes fantasy, mystery, adventure, and a small amount of romance. I recommend this book to those that are 14 and older that enjoy suspense.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I read the book and found it quite lovely. It's an interesting read and I love the originality of the author. The series promises to be huge and I can't wait to read the next instalment. The humor in the book was a plus for me and actually being paired with science fiction, of which I am an unrepentant fan, I just could not pass it up.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Faith Stacy Leon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

It was more like a magical adventure. I love the characterization of the plot. Borlock's character added more suspense and twists to the story. The book was also engaging for me. I don't dislike anything about it.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

As a major lover of sci-fi and nonfiction, I sometimes read other genre's halfheartedly. However I admit that I found the novel interesting and my curiosity was incited by the magicians guild. It reminded me of a very popular movie about magic that I watched and loved. I hope to read more about them
Despina Samartean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-despina-samartean.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Despina Samartean »

I'll rate it with an excellent score of 5 stars because it was a pleasurable read, and I had no dislikes whatsoever. I'll highly recommend it!

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”