Delvin, Jarla and Fionella - Which one is your favorite?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Re: Delvin, Jarla and Fionella - Which one is your favorite?

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I like Delvin. I thought he was the most genuine of the three. Fionella and Jarla were snobby and treated Delvin like he was a servant when he really didn't have to listen to them. He also didn't need to rescue either one of them. He was perfectly content with doing his magic tricks in Hengel.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

While I wouldn't rate him as my best character (Delvin definitely is), Borlock played a vital role in the foundation of the plot. For a character that was supposed to have died, he still found relevance as the story evolved. So, one up to Borlock.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

Sugar Rush wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 18:35 I'm torn between Princess Jarla and Delvin. Jarla is unique and resonates with me because of her confidence and courage. Then Delvin and his rabbit made and impression on me too. Overall, the characters were amazing but my vote will be for Delvin
I had the same dilemma. However, I think the relationship between Delvin and his rabbit, Freda, and how he was able to rise from being a murder suspect to a well-sought-after magician shifted my vote to him.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

My favorite character is Grimbolt. Loyal and trustworthy, he was also the only one that treated Delvin with respect.
As for the other three, Delvin win my vote. Resourceful and wise. His plans always work and even Jarla saw wisdom on them that she followed his lead at times.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I enjoyed both Jarla and Delvin.
Delvin is this soft and lovable person, chasing his dreams and trying to avenge his friend's death.
Jarla, though, has this strong and tough personality, she goes and gets what she wants herself and waits for no one.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I did not like Princess Jarla. She was a cruel and self-centered person. For instance, she always had time to eat but never allowed Delvin time to eat. Delvin was my favorite character because no matter how badly royalty treated him, he took it in stride and moved forward.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

One thing I liked about Delvin was how he grew throughout the book. Delvin had a distinct personality, backstory, and motivation, and the author did an excellent job of gradually revealing these details without ever feeling like an information dump. I found myself genuinely caring about Delvin. Fionella is another fantastic character I enjoy.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite character is by far Delvin! I love his pranks and I love his rabbit, Freda! I think it is unusual for a boy to have a pet rabbit. So, because Delvin does it makes me like him even more. He is such a unique character!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

I'm only about half way through, but so far I would have to say Devlin. Smart, clever, mischievous, willing to work.....what's not to like. Although, Jarla is also an intriguing character and is starting to grow on me. I'll update when I finish if she changes my mind.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I liked both Jarla and Delvin to decide who is my favourite. I liked Jarla's confidence, gravity, and she was strong enough to get what she wanted done. On the other hand Delvin's character developed through the story in such a way that it was a joy to read.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Delvin and his bunny Freda have my heart! What a courageous, and upbeat young man living life to the fullest! His tricks are so amusing! Jarla does come close though.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Delvin, of course. I like how he's careful with his decisions. Also, his kindness, willpower, and resilience are admirable.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

How did you forget to put Freda the Rabbit on that list? Is it because she wasn't a human character? Come on now, Freda was my best. Yeah, everyone expects to see Delvin, Jarla, and the rest do their thing. Who would have expected that a non-human character would play a big role in the plot? My vote goes to Freda.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I don't know my favourite between Jarla and Delvin. I love both of them equally. I love Jarla because, like her, I am courageous, and I have confidence. I could relate to her easily. I love Delvin because he is a unique character in the book.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

My favourite character is definitely Delvin! Delvin and Frieda's chemistry was amazing!

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”