Freda the rabbit

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Re: Freda the rabbit

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Delvin and Freda shared the purest bond in the story, it could be especially because Freda belonged to Borlock before, and we know how much Delvin worshipped Borlock. She also ended up playing an integral part in the plot, so it made sense to write her into the story.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

While Freda contributes a big part of the novel, as the pet of Delvin, it makes him find comfort in the ever-stressing journey with Princesses.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe Delvin brought Freda along as a sentimental memento because the rabbit made him think of his beloved friend and mentor Borlock, giving him some solace and familiarity in foreign lands.
Renee Pendergast
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-pendergast.html
Latest Review: The Prism Effect by J. Wint

Post by Renee Pendergast »

I think Freda is closure for Delvin, as well as a way to keep Borlock with him after his friend's death. Also, since he was essentially kidnapped by Jarla, Freda might be a sort of living security blanket - Delvin feels safer with Freda around.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

In my opinion, Delvin's relationship with Freda goes beyond her being just a part of his show. From the way he treats her, it's clear that Freda is more than just a pet to him - she is his companion and someone he trusts and relies on.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

It's evident that Delvin and Freda share a special bond, one that is similar to the way some people find solace and comfort in animals. Many people turn to their pets, especially dogs, when they need support and companionship, and it seems like Delvin has found that in Freda.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Delvin understands the value of having a loyal companion by his side, and he knows that Freda has never failed him during his shows. In fact, he probably also recognizes that she could be of great help to him on his quest, which is why he brings her along.

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Maybe he sees in her the qualities that he admires and values in a friend or partner. Perhaps he feels like she understands him on a level that other humans don't. It's interesting to consider the idea that pets are more obedient than humans. Some people even believe that their pets are reincarnated forms of their deceased loved ones.

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Maybe Delvin feels that Freda is a spiritual companion, someone who is connected to him on a deeper level than any human could be. In any case, it's clear that Freda is an essential part of Delvin's life, and he values her presence and support.

Roald Dahl
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Every one knew how close Freda was to Delvin. The cute little rabbit was an integral part of the story and it's no surprise that Delvin decided to it on that trip. I love Freda the rabbit by the way.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

Delvin considered Freda to be important to the show and also the connection with Borlock. The reason might be that animals are more loyal than the friends he found.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

The connection between Delvin and his pet Freda is the complete definition of companionship. Animals are somewhat a means of comfort for people who love pets.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

They have a bond and he loves the pet. There is also the sentimental reason that is how close Freda and Borlock were. Delvin see Freda as his last link to Borlock.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I think Delvin wanted Freda to come along because the rabbit is like a pet and a part of his family. He has grown fond of his rabbit; maybe the pet reminded him of Borlock. I loved Freda in this story and was glad she got brought along.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Delvin trusted and relied on Freda for emotional support. She was neither friends with Jarla nor Fionella. Pets are non-judgemental and offer better understanding than humans, at times.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”