Freda the rabbit

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Freda the rabbit

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Why do you think Delvin decided to bring Freda with him on the trip instead of leaving her behind at Mistress Wilshaw's house for Greg to take care of?

I think Delvin brought Freda because she was an important part of the show and a living connection to Borlock. I don't think he was able to think of Jarla and Fionella as friends. I believe Freda was someone that reciprocated some form of comfort for him while he was in danger.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

The connection Delvin has with Freda is obvious. When you've been hurt by people, you tend to find comfort and solace in other beings, usually pets. For me, it's my dog, Sydney. For Delvin, it was his rabbit, Freda.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I agree, Jarla and Fionella were certainly anything but friends for Delvin. I am not sure that Delvin thought of Freda pragmatically as a part of the show, likelier sentimentally as the living connection to Borlock and as his companion pet. I would carry my companion pet with me too. :)
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Animals are a source of comfort and companionship. They keep you from being lonely. I think that is why Delvin brought Freda with him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I think that Delvin treat Freda more than just part of his show. Freda is his companion pet. Someone he trust and could rely on. Freda never failed his show and I guess Delvin knew that Freda would help him on his quest too. That why he brought her along.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

We find comfort in pets and cuddlies. His rabbit represents both and more. His rabbit is his companion and also a reminder of his past and where he came from. The two princesses were definitely not his friends and I am not sure if they would've became friends after some time.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Freda, the rabbit, was a constant in Delvin's life and his connection with Borlock. The rabbit was also a key part of magic shows.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I think because Freda is his pet that he has an unwavering connection with. You could fall out with your friends, family or companions at times, but nobody falls out with their pet...
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Ben Madeley wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 11:58 I think because Freda is his pet that he has an unwavering connection with. You could fall out with your friends, family or companions at times, but nobody falls out with their pet...
I would have loved to see the human'animal relationship a little more explicit. Even so, Fredia is certainly a companion pet, always present in the "travelling box." And you're right, nobody ever falls out with their pet. :) They give us unconditional love for the time they're with us.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I too don't think Delvin thought of Fionella and Jarla as friends. And I also don't think that Delvin thought Freda as a part of the show as the journey carried on. Freda was more like a friend, a companion to Delvin.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Delvin and Freda share a bond similar to how people find solace in animals. You often turn to other creatures, mainly dogs, for consolation and solace when you've been hurt by people. Thus, for me, it was a no-brainer.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Pets are very obedient than humans. Some people believe pets are reincarnated forms of their deceased loved ones, and maybe that was same with Delvin
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Beyond being an important part of the show, as you rightly said, I think Freda was an important part of Delvin's character. I felt she was a major source of comfort and confidence for Delvin, even though she was a non-human character.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I agree with you that Delvin feels an attachment to Borlock through Freda. It's his lucky rabbit that has been in the right place at the right time, even before the trouble started. I can't believe the princesses wanted to eat the rabbit, but I also believe that Delvin gained some courage when Freda didn't run off into the woods when he tried to release her. Almost like Borlock wouldn't leave Delvin alone until he was ready for what life had in store for him.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Your insight into Delvin's decision to bring Freda along on the trip is quite compelling. It seems plausible that Freda's connection to Borlock and her role in the show made her an essential companion for Delvin. Moreover, your observation about Delvin's relationship with Jarla and Fionella highlights the significance of his bond with Freda.

It's interesting to consider how Freda might have provided a sense of comfort and familiarity for Delvin in an otherwise perilous situation. This dynamic between the two characters adds depth to their relationship and could potentially reveal more about Delvin's motivations and emotional state throughout the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”