Freda the rabbit

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Re: Freda the rabbit

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This shouldn't even be a surprise because it was one of the most obvious things to do. Freda was his dear pet and one after his own heart, even if she was as fibble as an egg, he still would had carried her along.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Freda is a best friend to Delvin. They have a great relationship together, and maybe Freda also knew Delvin would help him on his quest.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Anna Hernandez- wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 21:38 I agree with you that Delvin feels an attachment to Borlock through Freda. It's his lucky rabbit that has been in the right place at the right time, even before the trouble started. I can't believe the princesses wanted to eat the rabbit, but I also believe that Delvin gained some courage when Freda didn't run off into the woods when he tried to release her. Almost like Borlock wouldn't leave Delvin alone until he was ready for what life had in store for him.
Sure. Delvin's attachement to Freda was spirtual, if I may say. I know it's fiction, but we can't take it away from how we get attached to our pets. So I can understand why Delvin would not leave Freda behind.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I think you’re probably right that Delvin brought Freda along for both companionship & as a part of the magic act. I do also agree with others on this thread that she is probably symbolic of his connection to Borlock as well as his home. Freda added a fun, sweet twist to a lot of scenes, though I wish she would have gotten more air time. There were times in the book I forgot she even existed until he took her out for her to nibble on some plant life. It would have been nice for her to be mentioned sleeping on a bed with him, or holding her for comfort.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

He used to look after Freda for Borlock and I think he felt was connecting him with the magician. And it works as a comical relief in few moments for the plot. I would have probably done the same if I had been Delvin (including trying to free her).
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I don’t remember much about Freda. But I remember she helped them in some parts of the fight. Their relationship, I mean Delvin and Freda, seems unique in its own way.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Pets and cuddly things bring us comfort. Both and more are represented by his bunny. His bunny serves as both a buddy and a reminder of his origins and history. I'm not sure if the two princesses would have become friends over time; they were clearly not his pals.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Yeah I think was all about what he felt comfortable with. He obviously did that for a reason and its glaring why he did so, in a much as everyone questioning it.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I’m not sure I agree with the companionship argument. I don’t recall seems of hugging and petting and I think Jarla would have been memorably scornful if she had caught Delvin in such an act. I think it was more for Freda’s usefulness as a cover for the act, or that she could do other things we’ve not seen yet.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I think it was because of Freda's connection to Borlock. I think she also provided solace and companionship to Devlin which was quite important to him. Animals, especially dogs, can be a great source of companionship.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Freda, I believe, reminds Delvin of his late mentor. The rabbit's company appears to be a source of comfort. Not to mention, Freda is an essential part of the magic show.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Freda the rabbit was very important to Delvin, he felt like protecting her at any cost. Besides he knew that almost everyone they met was keen to use Freda as dinner. Freda probably felt very attached to Delvin as well, that is why she refused to be set free when Delvin tried to, and she returned in her cage.
Andrada Madalina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I think that Delvin wanted Freda to accompany him on his journey to keep alive the connection between him and Borlock, but also out of a need for a comrade and guide, taking into account that he could no longer trust anyone after being accused of his friend's death. I admired his concern for the rabbit and how he used it to distract attention from the cart.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

Understandably, Delvin didn't trust many people. After all, his own friends and neighbors adamantly tried to hang him for a murder he did not commit. He loved Freda, and she was his connection to his dear friend Borlock. He wanted to make sure she was safe and taken care of by the only person who wouldn't let her down, himself.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I agree. Delvin shared a bond with Freda and it was also a link to Borlock. I'm glad he took her with him - I liked her special role while "kidnapping" Fionella.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”