The Magician's Guild

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

The Magician's Guild

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The Magician's Guild was well-known by everyone. Do you think Delvin should join the guild? Why do you think he didn't, especially since they know he has the crystal? He divulged his secret to Grimbolt, do you think the Magician's Guild may target Grimbolt in the future too?

Looking past the man in black, I think the guild would have possibly welcomed Delvin since he knew how to use the crystal already. I think a strong alliance could be formed with Grimbolt if Delvin continues without going to the guild. If Grimbold becomes a target for the guild, do you think if they collect another stone he will be able to use its power like Delvin did? I think Charles Townsend could easily make a series involving the Magician's Guild.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

If you look at where the story began, Delvin already had issues trusting people after the event that happened with Borlock's death. I think his decision not to join the magician's guild had something to do with that event, among other things.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

A brilliant idea for a series about the Magicians' Guild! :)

I think Delvin would qualify for the Magicians' Guild and that he was simply too busy trying to rescue Fionella and had no time to apply for the membership in this book, maybe he will think about it once he has rested. :)
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Really, what good could come of his joining. The Guild already demonstrated that they were willing to kill and frame an innocent person. What guarantee did Delvin have that they wouldn’t kill him, too?
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

The Magician's Guild used any mean necessary to reach their goal. If anything, I see them as the big bad of the series. Maybe Delvin will took them down and rebuild a benevolent Magician's Guild. Grimbolt will definitely work together with Delvin. And with Delvin on his side, Grimbolt is far more resourceful and experienced to survive against the Magician's Guild.
croquetmagic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by croquetmagic »

In book 2, The Three Card Trick, you find out more about the Magician's Guild and in book 3, you find out what and who is behind it all.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think if they could build trust, he would be able to join the Guild, but I also think how they handle things and the open spirit that Delvin is, it won't be a great fit. It felt like the Guild tried to have all of the power and break those that didn't fall into their rules. I am not sure how Delvin will adapt to this type of mentality.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I think Delvin was too distracted to join the Magician's guild at this stage, but I definitely think it's something he wouldn't really want to part of anyway.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

We're talking about an important crystal here. After his teacher's death, I don't think Delvin trusts the guild.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

croquetmagic wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 09:37 In book 2, The Three Card Trick, you find out more about the Magician's Guild and in book 3, you find out what and who is behind it all.
Wow! You've finished all 3 books? I am just starting hope I will cover all of them.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I think Delvin would have want to, but the fact that the guild displayed that they too could not be trusted by their actions, could have discouraged him since he already jad trust issues.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I think Delvin would have been welcomed by the guild. But, I also think they shouldn't be trusted as they have proven with their actions. And I think that Delvin and Grimbolt should form a strong alliance.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Since this is Book 1 of the series, I think there’s more to learn about organizations like The Magician’s Guild. If we’re talking about Delvin joining The Magician’s Guild, perhaps it would be more likely that changes be made in some form of manner, or maybe if he considers forming his own.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Your analysis of the Magician's Guild and its potential relationship with Delvin is quite thought-provoking. I agree that Delvin's knowledge of the crystal might make him an attractive candidate for the guild. It's possible that Delvin may have his own reasons for not joining, such as valuing his independence or fearing the guild's influence.

As for Grimbolt, it's certainly conceivable that the Magician's Guild could see him as a potential target or ally due to his connection with Delvin. If Grimbolt were to come into possession of another stone, it would be interesting to see if he could harness its power in a similar fashion to Delvin. This dynamic could indeed serve as the basis for an engaging series by Charles Townsend, exploring the intricacies of the Magician's Guild and the characters' evolving relationships with one another.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

croquetmagic wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 09:37 In book 2, The Three Card Trick, you find out more about the Magician's Guild and in book 3, you find out what and who is behind it all.
I was just going to mention how the book had little to almost no information about the Guild and just painted the whole clan as evil. Even though I had a theory that they would be mentioned in the sequel, I'm glad to have this confirmation!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”