The Magician's Guild

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Re: The Magician's Guild

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

The Guild was untrustworthy because they were the ones who orchestrated Borlock's death and were too greedy for the magical crystal. Since they had previously attempted to harm him, I believe Delvin's decision to stay away from them was a good one.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I think Devin is distracted trying to rescue Fionella but on the other hand he would qualify and the Guild would welcome him. But what would bother Delvin is that can the Guild be trusted after showing that they couldn't be trusted and also what happened to his former teacher.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Delvin's magical abilities were unquestionable, and he had shown incredible potential throughout the book. As a result, it is highly likely that he would qualify for membership in the prestigious Magicians' Guild. However, due to his ongoing quest to rescue Fionella and the many obstacles he faced along the way, he may have been too preoccupied to even consider applying for membership.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

Once his mission was complete, he may have taken some time to rest and reflect on his accomplishments before making any decisions about joining the guild. Although Delvin may have initially been interested in joining the Magicians' Guild, his trust issues could have been a major hindrance. The guild's actions in the past may have led Delvin to question their motives and reliability
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

Perhaps he did not want to risk being betrayed or misled by an organization that was supposed to uphold the values of magic and protect its practitioners. This hesitation could have played a role in his decision not to pursue membership at the time.

Roald Dahl
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:

Post by Amy Toria »

In my opinion, while it is clear that Delvin had the necessary skills and potential to join the Magicians' Guild, external factors such as his quest to save Fionella and his trust issues may have prevented him from doing so. It remains to be seen whether he will reconsider joining the guild in the future or continue on his path as an independent and powerful magician.

Roald Dahl
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

The Guild was a nemesis in their own way. Delving did not trust them and that says a lot about what their agenda was all along. I do not trust them either, they seem like corrupt government officials.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I think it is best delvin does his operations separately from the Guild, because the Guild are not a body you can put your trust in, as they have proven that with they actions.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

Delvin has trust issues and the Guild killed someone dear to him. He doesn't trust them and that was why he didn't join them. He is better off in my opinion.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I think if the Dukes and royals keep treating him as a servant, he might join the Magicians Guild. I don't think he should because I believe they are power-driven. I hope he does not but I would understand if he did. I don't think the Magicians Guild as a whole realizes Delvin knows how to use the stone yet.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Eva Nyaburi wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:14 The Guild was untrustworthy because they were the ones who orchestrated Borlock's death and were too greedy for the magical crystal. Since they had previously attempted to harm him, I believe Delvin's decision to stay away from them was a good one.

It didn't say the Guild was responsible, it could be the man in black acting on his own.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

This book was beautifulandthe author was engaging. I hope the mystery in it is more than what I have heard. I hope to read this book soon as it was really enjoyable.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Devon and Grimbolt would be a strong alliance and I think the possibility of Devon joining the guild was actualizable but once more, the Guild is not one to be trusted I think. I feel it was a good thing it dis not work out.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

It would not be wise of Delvin to trust the Guild. The Guild had a bad agenda and was willing to kill innocent people. There is a probability that they can end up killing Delvin, but Delvin working with Grimbolt would be the best move.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Based on my perception, the guild would have been receptive to Delvin's inclusion. Nevertheless, their track record shows that they are not a reliable entity. Despite this, I believe that Delvin and Grimbolt should collaborate closely to create a formidable force.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”