The Magician's Guild

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Re: The Magician's Guild

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I believe it was more of a matter of trust than for anything else. Devin experiences must have shaped his decision in a way or two. Moreover, the Guild didn't really have a reputation that showed any atom of being trustworthy.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Delvin didn't believe in the ideals of the Magician's Guild. He saw the worst of them when they killed Borlock and pinned the murder on him. So, I don't think it would have been appropriate for him to join them.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

The end of the book (in my opinion) implied that they didn't want Delvin to join. They sent the black magician after him. I think the sequels will explore this further but if he just joined them would he be just as corrupt? I liked Grimbolt's secrecy about the stone. Why didn't he try to have it for himself?
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I think Delvin didn’t join the Guild because he didn’t really understand what they represented until much later, and I think he thought of himself as a small street magician, not a true magician that could belong to the Guild. Plus, Borlock had told him to keep the stone a secret, so once he knew that the stones were involved in Guild magic he probably felt a deep mistrust for what they represented. Plus, his experience with that one member of the guild (I can’t remember his name, in the town he was practicing magic) was quite negative. I wouldn’t trust them either! Or want to join them.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I agree with those who think Delvin would not have any guarantee he would be safe by joining the Guild. He doesn't look like the kind of character that would stay in the Guild if something proves to be nasty (and the Guild definitely doesn't look an innocent group of people). I think he would leave and become equally a target.
About Grimbolt, I think he probably has already a big list of people who consider him a priority target.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

If I were to be Delvin, I don’t think I can join an organization where some people are trying to use their unique talents to cause a war between countries.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

The Magician's Guild employed any means required to accomplish their objective. They are actually the main antagonist of the series in my opinion. Maybe Delvin will destroy them and establish a charitable Magician's Guild in their place. Grimbolt and Delvin will undoubtedly collaborate. Grimbolt is far more resourceful and experienced than the Magician's Guild to survive, and he has Delvin on his side.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

In as much as Delvin would had gotten better uf he joined the Guild, the Guild were not to be trusted even for a second. They could turn on you whenever they wanted.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I don’t think the Magician’s guild was a good thing throughout the book, but this may have been distorted by the biased view of the characters. However, that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be the basis for a good story.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Delvin probably mistrusts the guild because he feels it was involved in his mentor's death. But I believe Delvin should join the guild. He can use the insider information to investigate and confirm what he thought. Readers will learn about the guild's history as Delvin makes his way inside. It will be an interesting installment in the series.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Delvin could not have joined the Magician Guild after they killed his friend Borlock and framed him. It was clear to him that they were the bad guys since the beginning. And afterwards he found out how they were using magic to invade territories and become richer. Was his friend Borlock part of the Guild at some point? Why did he leave and why did they kill him?
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

With all these that I’ve read, I really want to know what happens to the magician’s child so I’ll go through this book again.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I think he will steer clear of the guild. He has seen how they are trying to take over. I did not read the character of Delvin as a shady guy. Maybe a little mischievous, but not a bad guy. In this book, the guild is up to no good and has already caused him enough problems.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Post by Kelsey Roy »

In my opinion, Delvin was an honorable person. The Guild seemed corrupt and manipulated. I'm sure Delvin didn't want to be involved with such a seemingly treacherous group as the Guild. It might have been safer for him immediately, but in the long run, may have lead to his ultimate demise.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I agree that the series would be very interesting. It could show us more of the characters' psychological sides and make the books more interesting. As for Delvin, I think he could not quite decipher what to expect from the parties so he tries everything in his power to follow the path that he paved.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”