The Magician's Guild

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: The Magician's Guild

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

The murder of Borlock inherently cancels any dream of joining the magicians guild.. in my opinion. However, I'm sure he has even greater desires to be a magician. I also liked the mystery of the guild, it reminds me of The Eye from the movie Now you see me. I also agree that it makes great material for a series.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Delvin most certainly qualifies for the Magician's Guild but is slightly overqualified because of his wit, intelligence, and strength. He did have the crystal, but he needed to outsmart, outperform, and eventually kill the Dark Magician. I admire how calm, confident, and direct he spoke to the other magistrates.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

No, I don't think Delvin should (have) joined the guild, due to their differing motives and intentions.

As for Grimbolt, I don't think him being in possession of the magical crystal would be sufficient to enable him to use it. I think the ability to use the said crystal required months of training and practice for one to learn the magic tricks and powers and thus be able to use the crystal, as was the case with Delvin where he had to be an apprentice for Borlock before he could muster magical powers and use the crystal.

About whether the black magician would pursue Grimbolt since he knew their secret, I believe he would do it, as anyone who knew that powerful secret but wasn't a part of the guild posed a threat to the magicians' continued illegal rule of Hengel.

Lastly, I think the guild would have only welcomed Delvin into their circle on the condition that he align with their evil motives.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I think that the Guild storyline is explored in future books in the series. But as with other organizations, they pursue their own interests. I understand him not joining and I would do the same.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

My opinion on this matter would be that Delvin would effortlessly qualify for the Magicians' Guild.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I don't think it would have being easy for Delvin to join the guild considering the fact that he had trust issues but aside that it would have been a good alliance.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

What sparks greed in people? Can people not be content with what they have? From the things I've seen, the same magic is what they all had. The fact that greed can blind your eyes to the hurt your actions will cause others is another thing to ponder.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I agree. The Guild could make for fascinating reading. As for Delvin joining the Guild, I don't think that would have been wise. From my point of view, they came across as sinister and too secretive by half. I bet Delvin and Grimbolt could take them on with another crystal.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

Based on my observation, Delvin seemed to have other priorities that prevented him from considering joining the Magician's guild at this particular stage. Moreover, it is evident that his true desires and aspirations lie outside the realm of the guild, making it an unlikely path for him to pursue.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I am definitely interested in reading more about the Magician's Guild. However, I believe Delvin made the right decision keeping the stone secret, and not joining the Guild. I agree with the others that see the Magician's Guild as villians.
Despina Samartean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-despina-samartean.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Despina Samartean »

In my opinion, I'm elated that Delvin didn't join the Magician's Guild.
Despina Samartean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-despina-samartean.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Despina Samartean »

I believe the decision of Delvin not to join the magician's guide stemmed from the death of Borlock. This incident caused him to have trust issues, and as such, I understand his stance.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I disagree with Delvin's decision to join the guild due to their differing motives and intentions.

Regarding Grimbolt's possession of the magical crystal, I don't believe merely having it would grant him the ability to use its powers. My belief is that using the crystal requires extensive training and practice, which Delvin had to undergo during his apprenticeship with Borlock before he could harness its magic.

As for the black magician's potential pursuit of Grimbolt, I think it's highly likely. Anyone outside the guild who knows their powerful secret poses a significant threat to the magicians' illegal rule of Hengel, making it probable that the black magician would seek to eliminate Grimbolt to protect their hidden activities.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”