Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I think Devin was grieving the death of Borlock and trying to understand what really happened because it had happened so fast. Without the death of Borlock, Devin would not have decided to become a Magician and take on an adventure of living Town.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

It is when we loose people that we understand their worth in our lives and that saying was true for this duo. It was when Borlock died that Delvin understood the role he was playing in his life. Anyways I think the death was necessary for the continuation of the story.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I think Borlock's death brought out the true mystery of the story, and eventually change the life and pattern of Devin. As he went on the mission of righting the wrongs. He discovered his innermost potential as he progressed in this path.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I feel Borlock had to die. While I doubted Delvin's feelings for him at first, I later understood that he was indeed moruning his friend. Loss takes a toll on people as we can see with Delvin.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

Olga Markova wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 12:17 I think Delvin is grieving over Borlock who used to be his friend and teacher. It is probably because Borlock died that Delvin understood Borlock's role in his life. After all, but for Borlock's death, Delvin would not have inherited the stone and there would have been no story of his adventures!
I agree with you! We often don't realize the impact people have on us until they're gone and we no longer have their guidance.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

I think Delvin was obviously in pain and struck down by the death of Borlock, since he was someone close to him. It happens when someone who's a good teacher that grew on you to later become a friend dies.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Sometimes we don't value what we have until we lose them. Delving didn't understand the importance of Borlock in his life until he lost him. He wants him back but it is too late. This is a great lesson that needs to be learned from.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:26 It’s very possible that Borlock did have to die for these feelings to be released. It’s a lot like “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.” Delvin didn’t know what a big part of his life Borlock was until he realized that Borlock would no longer be around.
You couldn't be far from the truth. The death of Borlock open a hole in Delvin's life. Good a thing that he moved past it and pursued after his destiny in magic.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

This chapter was merely building groundwork for future narrations because at this time the reader hadn't formed enough opinion about the true nature of Borlock's and Delvin's relationship.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I feel like the narration in that portion of the book was a mix between Delvin a.) trying to figure out what had happened by retracing each event, b.) coming to the realization that Borlock’s death represents a huge shift in his own life’s direction due to both being given Borlock’s magic tricks and being framed for his murder, and c.) grieving the loss of his friend and a mentor he expected to have and learn from much longer.

All of these are understandable to me. Delvin is in shock in that time and grappling with a lot of mixed feelings, all while being pressured to remember what the heck happened so he doesn’t get hung. It’s a lot!
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think it made so much sense for Borlock to die directly from the beginning of the book as catalyzer for the story to start. After that, only memories or flashbacks were options to work and develop the relationship between the two of them, and some aspects of it were really important later on. It was for example the explanation to understand why Delvin sees the world as he does, why he is so sceptic and pragmatic for example.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It's conceivable that Borlock's death was necessary for the release of these emotions. It is comparable to the adage "you don't know what you have until it's gone." Delvin wasn't aware of how important Borlock was to him until he learned that Borlock will soon pass away.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

There are things that need to happen for things to make sense in our lives or for us to gain something. Delvin sort of gained a lot from Borlock's death to me.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I think Borlock dying was a great way to start out Delvins journey. Would I have enjoyed more of Borlock before he got murdered, of course! I think Delvins was processing what happened, was shocked, and was trying to handle his emotions while grieving.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

The death of Borlock was traumatizing for Delvin as he was unable to process the event. It led him in depression and despair and also temporary amnesia. He just could not remember what really happened. He was trying to understand: did it or did not happen?

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”