Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Deborah Campion
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-campion.html
Latest Review: Bone Necklace by Julia Sullivan

Re: Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Post by Deborah Campion »

The intro gave details about the world Delvin lives in. There is an onerous class system, but people can fight their way to rise above it. Distrust and lack of loyalty among associates and townspeople. Another stupid war.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Unfortunately there does normally have to be some kind of loss for people to get up out of their comfort zone and shine. In this case it is Borlock. If not for what happened Delvin may not have started to unlock his full potential.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Delvin's recollections of Borlock were, I believe, his way of processing the passing of a friend and mentor. He was also trying to solve the mystery surrounding Borlock's death.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I disagree that Borlock had to die for Delvin to become a magician. Borlock was already teaching him his tricks and wanted to make him his official assistant. With time, he was also going to let him know the secret of the stone.
The reason that he had to die was to create an enemy for Delvin. I mean by that, to justify the appearance of a mysterious scary character in the form of the dark figure... and by extension the Magician Guild.
Imagine the story if Borlock had been alive and they were both running away from the Guild while Borlock would teach him more and more secret tricks.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I believe that one's end provokes another's beginning, so I agree with an opinion that Borlock had to die for the realization to come. I think it was more of a symbolic passage and I loved it. It is Borlock's death that made the story begin.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

While reading this scene, I could not help but imagine what was going through Delvin's mind. This scene is a testimony to the emotional strength Delvin displayed throughout the book. I could not keep it together if I were in the same position. This scene is why Delvin is so admirable.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Yasmine M wrote: 02 May 2023, 08:26 I disagree that Borlock had to die for Delvin to become a magician. Borlock was already teaching him his tricks and wanted to make him his official assistant. With time, he was also going to let him know the secret of the stone.
The reason that he had to die was to create an enemy for Delvin. I mean by that, to justify the appearance of a mysterious scary character in the form of the dark figure... and by extension the Magician Guild.
Imagine the story if Borlock had been alive and they were both running away from the Guild while Borlock would teach him more and more secret tricks.
I see how it is probable for Borlock to continue his mentorship with Delvin. However, I do not believe Delvin would have gone through the same adventure, met Fiorella and Jarla, and, most importantly, conquered the Dark Magician if Borlock were still alive. I believe that later in the book, Borlock would have been killed by the Dark Magician.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

In my opinion, I believe the death of Borlock was Paramount for a story to be told about Delvin, the adventure of Delvin began after the death of Borlock and no doubt, Delvin admired his mentor. Like the saying goes " You never know what to truly have till you lose it".
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

A lot happened following Borlocks death, the strange man in black and the people's sudden distrust in him, I mean, he was almost hanged and killed. I believe all this had to occur to clear the path for Delvin's adventure.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I don't think Borlock necessarily had to die before Delvin could realize the intensity of Borlock's impact on him, I believe it only happened that way because of Borlock's untimely death. If he hadn't passed away, I believe Delvin would still have realized the magnitude of his master's influence on him. And on that part of Delvin reminiscing about Borlock, I think this way of mourning his teacher's and friend's death, and also a way of him coming to terms with the unexpected demise of his trainer.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:26 It’s very possible that Borlock did have to die for these feelings to be released. It’s a lot like “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.” Delvin didn’t know what a big part of his life Borlock was until he realized that Borlock would no longer be around.
From all answers presented I agree with this one the most. I am in the same thought process. I think those choices by the author were intentional so he could present Delvin's character better.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

I believe the death of Borlock was instrumental in giving Delvin a clearer understanding of events.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I don't agree that Borlock should have to die for Delvin to know how he was affected by by Borlock. I feel another twist should have been added to make value to be understood.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

From the way things were presented, Delvin always appreciated Borlocks' impact on his life. Although, it is human nature to recount more when the person is no more. It's our way of preserving the memories we want to cherish, so recounting them helps us remember.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I don't think Delvin realized how big of a role Borlock had in his life. So when Borlock actually died, it left a void in Delvin's life and he didn't know what to do. You don't really understand how big a role things/people have in your life until they aren't there anymore.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”