Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Delvin in the Dark Cellar.

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

In the first few pages of the second chapter, the narrative dwelt mostly on Delvin's recounting of his memories of Borlock. Do you think that Borlock had to die before Delvin could fully understand how he had been affected by Borlock? Was he merely trying to remember what led to Borlock's death? Is there any other interpretation you can give for the narration in the first few pages of Chapter Two?
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I think Delvin is grieving over Borlock who used to be his friend and teacher. It is probably because Borlock died that Delvin understood Borlock's role in his life. After all, but for Borlock's death, Delvin would not have inherited the stone and there would have been no story of his adventures!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s very possible that Borlock did have to die for these feelings to be released. It’s a lot like “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.” Delvin didn’t know what a big part of his life Borlock was until he realized that Borlock would no longer be around.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

He didn't know what had happened. He questioned why the man dressed in black was by the window. He was grieving Borlock and trying to understand what had happened. He was calling on his memory of what happened after the show. I don't think Delvin doubted his feelings of admiration for Borlock prior to his death.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Of course Borlock had to die. Delvin would never really lived his life as a magician if that didn't happen. Only after he did what Borlock did he understands more what it meant to be a magician. It is a dangerous profession.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Unfortunately, you never know what you had until it is gone. Borlock was his teacher and friend, and being framed for said friend's death is a huge shock on top of losing your friend. I do believe that Delvin would have eventually grown into his own shoes, but without Borlock dying, he would never have received the stone, which means his story would have most possibly gone down an entirely different path.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I think he didn't appreciate Borlock as much as he should have until Borlock was gone and yes of course his life would have been completely different if Borlock had lived.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Like another poster said, this is similar to the adage "you don't realize what you've got until it's gone." It seems that Borlock's death was necessary for this realization. Delvin wasn't aware of how important Borlock was to him until he learned that Borlock would no longer be there.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 22:26 It’s very possible that Borlock did have to die for these feelings to be released. It’s a lot like “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone.” Delvin didn’t know what a big part of his life Borlock was until he realized that Borlock would no longer be around.
Very True. You just challenged my thinking. Or maybe there would be no more adventures if Borlock didn't die.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: From Doubt to Do by Kat O'Sullivan

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Just like many have said above, you only realize the worth after you lose it. Delvin's teacher's death gave room for expansion of the storyline and was completely necessary.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I think Borlock had to die. Or Delvin might never come to be a magician or possess Borlock's stone. And also for Delvin to understand what a big part Borlock played in his life, Borlock's death was important.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Well, the saying that we don't know what we have until we lose it worked in the chapter. Delviin had to reminisce and understand everything and the role Borlock played in his life.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I believe it is common for people to obsess over memories of a deceased loved one because they treasure the happy times they shared, the impact the loss had on them, and the knowledge that they will never again share moments together. Furthermore, the death of Borlock pushed Delvin out of his comfort zone, causing him to leave his hometown in search of a fresh start.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 07:50 He didn't know what had happened. He questioned why the man dressed in black was by the window. He was grieving Borlock and trying to understand what had happened. He was calling on his memory of what happened after the show. I don't think Delvin doubted his feelings of admiration for Borlock prior to his death.
You spoke my mind on this matter. He needed to figure out what had happened prior Borlock's death.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I don't think he doubted his feelings about Borlock either. I think he was just confused by all that happened. After all, he just remembers the dark figure and he was holding a chair leg. He must have questioned himself. Imagine having a hole in your memory.
And yes, I think Borlock had to die to give sense to his new adventure of becoming a magician.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”